Extraction Fears!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SpeakEasyAmy

Extraction Fears!

#1 Post by SpeakEasyAmy »

I had four extractions yesterday to make room for my crowded teeth. In total I have had eight teeth removed from my mouth and my orthodontist is still hoping I have enough space to straighten these babies out! When I told my husband that I had too many teeth for my mouth he replied, "Like more then a human should have?" After a swift punch to the arm I explained that my mouth was just too small for all my teeth. Now that I've had the extractions I'm worried that the spaces will never close up! I don't get my wires on until tomorrow so right now I feel like something from tales from the crypt! Please tell me not to worry!

jjjmac

#2 Post by jjjmac »

The good news is - YES, they will close up. The bad news - it's going to take a long time.

I had 8 teeth removed also (4 impacted wisdom teeth and 4 premolars). That was about 10 months ago and my two gaps on the top have closed up but the two on the bottom have a bit to go yet. I've heard from other people on here that it takes about a year for the gaps close, so it seems a fair estimate.

Once you have the brackets and wires on, the gaps are a usually bit less noticeable.
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

SpeakEasyAmy

#3 Post by SpeakEasyAmy »

Yeah.... I was definitely hoping to hear they would be gone in the first six weeks...bummer :) How long was it before you noticed a change in your teeth?
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

jjjmac

#4 Post by jjjmac »

I noticed some change in a few weeks and more in a few months. Mine were so crowded and crooked that even a year into it, I can tell there's been a lot of movement, but it still looks horrible to me. I get so jealous when I see people post pictures on here and a few months after getting their braces, it almost looks as if they could be done! :) But everyone's different, everyone's teeth move at a different pace.

SpeakEasyAmy

#5 Post by SpeakEasyAmy »

But you were brave enough to start the journey and you're already a year into it:) A year seems so far away to me:( Do you mind if I ask how old you are?
People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

jjjmac

#6 Post by jjjmac »

I'm 31 as of a few days ago! :-/ The year went by pretty quickly actually, but I think that's because I have things to worry about that are way worse than my stupid teeth! :)

braceface418

#7 Post by braceface418 »

Seeing six weeks kind of made me giggle. I had my extractions in September of last year and I still have gaps in the upper and lower teeth. They're not huge and you can't tell from the front anymore, but they are there. Probably a few mms on the lowers and half a cm on each side on the uppers.

Good luck! You won't really notice it after awhile, except when you make a whistling noise when you talk or accidentally drool. :)

SpeakEasyAmy

#8 Post by SpeakEasyAmy »

A gapped tooth girl can dream can't she :D

They actually aren't bothering me too much anymore. The rubberbands hide them pretty well:) Even though they hurt...man it's just give take give take isn't it?

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

braceface418

#9 Post by braceface418 »

Yeah, it's kind of funny how the threshold for dental procedures has gradually lowered over the past few years. After a gum graft, extractions, placement of TADs, root canals, I feel like I could take on just about anything, maybe even the SARPE that was floated before I started the braces.

That said, dry socket in two of the extraction sites after the extractions still wins for most painful. Plus the packing material turned me off of the taste of cloves and meats that were cooked with cloves (i.e. baked hams) for awhile.

SpeakEasyAmy

#10 Post by SpeakEasyAmy »

I hear that! When I had my four impacted wisdom teeth out I had drysocket on both sides...shiver...and when i went in for emergency care my oral surgeon wasn't in, so I got the "other guy", who must have had stock in that friggin clove concoction!!! When I went back two days later to have the packets removed (I actually preferred the pain) my oral surgeon went WOO! I can't believe how much of this stuff you have packed in there!

I actually get nauseous hearing the word clove

Elizabeth Kubler Ross

starzz

#11 Post by starzz »

It's many years since I had my 4 impacted Wisdoms out. I still remember that awful taste of the packing material; I was constantly using breath mints for a week or so. Seriously that was the worst part of the whole ordeal. I believe they put that stuff in to prevent dry socket in my case (BIG teeth, big holes in jawbone). And the holes took at least a month to close up.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom