Upcoming Appointment to "reposition" brackets??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

andie40

Upcoming Appointment to "reposition" brackets??

#1 Post by andie40 »

I have Damon clear brackets on both the top and bottom, and have had them on for 4 months and 21 days. At my next appointment with the ortho, she will be taking off the brackets and "repositioning/rebonding" them. I have not ever heard of this? I have had alot of movement, my teeth were so crooked to start, so I am wondering why they need to be "repositioned". I am not looking forward to having them pried off, then re-glued. Nasty!

Just wondering if any of you all have every had this done and if so, what was it like. I am a nervous nellie-can you tell? BTW, next appt is 8/20.

Thanks for all your great information!!!

Andie40

Damon braces top and bottom
4 months- 21 days!!!
Estimated "Brace Free" Day 06/01/2010!!

starzz

#2 Post by starzz »

They need to be repositioned because they are not in the ideal position to align your teeth properly. Since your teeth were so crowded to start they may not have been able to fit them where they wanted to. I had a few of mine repositioned. Basically they removed the brackets from those teeth and rebonded new ones, so it's like getting braces off and on again but only for a couple teeth not the whole mouth. They may also reposition brackets if the roots are not looking aligned properly in your next X-ray. My ortho took off the ceramic ones and that went OK but the metal ones the assistant did and those teeth were sensitive during removal. I had 4 brackets repositioned, 2 each at 2 different appts.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Bracket repositioning is very common for the reasons starzz has already mentioned. I had 4 brackets and a molar band repositioned a few months ago. When my brackets were first placed, my teeth were extremely crooked. Now that my teeth are pretty much straight, some brackets needed to be repositioned in order to perform the final tweeks on tooth positions and to get the roots lined up properly. I was not looking forward to my repositioning appointment either, but having the brackets removed and replaced was not bad at all. My brackets came off without any difficulty and because new brackets were going right back on, I didn't need to have my teeth "sandblasted". The worst part about the whole thing was that awful, awful glue taste. No matter how hard I try to keep my tongue out of the way, I somehow still end up tasting it.

PiscesFish1969

#4 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

I've had mine on for a year next week - and on that day, I'm also having brackets repositioned. I'm not looking forward to it either.
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

kilikena311

#5 Post by kilikena311 »

Honestly it isn't that bad at all. I didn't know he was repositioning one of mine until my appointment so I guess I didn't have time to get myself all psyched up about it. I have all metal braces and the bracket popped right off without any trouble and the new one was rebonded within minutes. Good luck to you! :D

beachmommy

#6 Post by beachmommy »

I'm having mine repositioned next week too! It's been one year since I got braces.