Thoughts on my situation

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

over braces

Thoughts on my situation

#1 Post by over braces »

I am 31 years old. I got braces 2 weeks ago because I have a baby tooth (canine) and the permanent tooth is already coming out in the roof of my mouth. Last week I had the baby tooth pulled. So now I have the braces and the gap in my mouth where the baby tooth was. How long do you think it will take for the permanent to grow out (it is already peeking out). They said when it grows out enough they will put a bracket on it and I guess a chain or something to pull it down in place. Has anyone else had something similar to this? If so, how long did you have braces. I am just trying to get an understanding as to what to expect. Basically the rest of my teeth are perfectly straight except for this one area.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

amandajane

response-Thoughts on my situation

#2 Post by amandajane »

I have a baby tooth (canine) and the permanent tooth is already coming out in the roof of my mouth. Last week I had the baby tooth pulled. So now I have the braces and the gap in my mouth where the baby tooth was. How long do you think it will take for the permanent to grow out (it is already peeking out).
You answered your own question :D
when it grows out enough they will put a bracket on it
When it grown out they will put a bracket on it and a wire to put it in the U-shape alignment.

my story:viewtopic.php?t=31380

over braces

#3 Post by over braces »

I don't think I answered my own question. I am curious if anyone else has gone through something similar. Also, I have no idea what a u shape alignment is.

amandajane

Response

#4 Post by amandajane »

I don't think I answered my own question. I am curious if anyone else has gone through something similar. Also, I have no idea what a u shape alignment is.
I have been looking at other posts where they show their teeth in the photos. Like in one photo there was a tooth emerging, and when that tooth had grown in, they put a bracket on it. They also put a wire with the bracket on it to make sure it is in alignment with the other teeth. A U- shape alignment is when looking at a picture of someones teeth that are aligned correctly it makes a U-shape.

Maybe that helped?That's all I can offer.

sarahlynn

#5 Post by sarahlynn »

I have 2 canines that did the same thing - baby canines never came out and the permanents grew in behind them. I, too, had the baby teeth pulled and there are spaces where the canines need to come forward.

My canines have metal buttons on them now (lingually) and there is a piece of elastic that is tied around the button and it has been tied directly to the archwire, and now this latest time that I had it retied they tied to to the adjacent bracket. I go every 3 weeks to get that retied. Bringing these canines forward is my ortho's main goal right now. At my consult he said it could be anywhere from 6-12 months before they were in the arch - I'm not sure if he meant 6-12 months until they were bracketed or 6-12 months until they are actually in their correct position. Once they come forward enough they will get a traditional bracket on them and attach to the archwire.

Click on my story and you can see and read about my case, which sounds very similar to yours (except I have some crooked teeth in addition to these canines). I forget her screen name, but another woman who commented on my story also had a similar situation and she said that by about month 4-5 her canines were nearly all the way in the arch.
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

over braces

#6 Post by over braces »

Thank you very much for sharing your story. Sounds like we are in a similar boat. Your teeth have grown out a lot further than mine though. My permanent has just poked through. And I think I was more miserable than you when I first got mine on. I've had them for 2 weeks now and I guess I am adjusting okay, but I cannot WAIT for the day for them to be off!!! 2 years just seems like an eternity to me!

Best of luck!

Megan11

#7 Post by Megan11 »

I never lost my baby canines. The adult teeth started to poke through the roof of my mouth and started to come all the way down fairly quick. When I got braced the canines had erupted all the way through the roof of my mouth so I am not sure how long it will take for you while in braces. They may put a chain on your tooth to bring it down faster but I am not sure. It took about 5-7 months to get the canines all the way to the arch. Like sarahlynn I had buttons on those teeth and they were pulled forward using elastics. Then when they were close enough they braced them.

Like yourself the rest of my teeth were pretty much straight I had class I everything with no bite problems( aside form the two canines that were obviously in a cross bite). I am expected to get my braces off Aug 17th so that would put me at two weeks shy of a year.

If you click on the "WWW" under my post you can see my pictures.

Good Luck.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

sarahlynn

#8 Post by sarahlynn »

I'm not sure how long the canines take to erupt if they're just peeking through. One of mine though is kind of at an odd angle and didn't erupt straight down. I have to ask my ortho if he thinks that will take longer to sit upright.

Yes, Megan was the one who I was referring to in my previous post - thanks for chiming in Megan!

Something that my ortho did warn me about was that applying the force to the canines to pull them out is also pulling the surrounding teeth in - so that may account for some additional time with the braces on.

You're only 2 weeks in - trust me, it will get better and easier. I'm 7 weeks in as of today and things all around are easier than at week 2. I, too, cannot wait til the day they come off, but in the meantime I might as well get used to them! 8) I'm in for a possible 3 year sentence, so just think that there are always people in a worse situation :lol: I am also fortunate enough to not have to have surgery for anything.
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

over braces

#9 Post by over braces »

Thank you! Yes, our situations seem very similar except your tooth was fully grown out. It seems like things are moving very quickly for you. I hope I have the same luck. They told me I'd probably have braces for 2 years, but my fear is that it will be longer depending on how long it takes for my permanent tooth to grow out. And being at the beginning of treatment, 2 years seems like an eternity. But I know things could be worse.

Thanks again!

rolo

#10 Post by rolo »

I had a canine tooth exposed, and when it has just poked through, my ortho advised me to brush a lot on the lingual (inside) to well I guess to wear the gum (that's not the technical term and doesn't sound right) but basically increase the area of tooth exposed on the lingual (inside) part of the tooth, so a bracket could be attached sooner. I was offered exposure as the tooth had not poked through the gum at all in 6 mths. Hope that helps