Timing of Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cary

Timing of Braces

#1 Post by Cary »

I am brand new to this website and love having a resource regarding braces and emotional support! I am 44 years old and this is my 2nd go around in braces. I have told my children that I am the poster child for wearing your retainer as my upper teeth moved back to a bad overbite. I have ceramics on top and due for metal brackets on the bottom in a few months. My question as respects timing, I had a friend who said he "sped up" the appointments and although it was more painful he said it it shortened his time in braces. I was told I would be in braces from 16 to 24 months, I am 3 months into the process.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I'm surprised your friend convinced the ortho to speed things up. Orthodontists tend to take things slower with adults because our mouths are much less pliable than teens or children. To avoid bone loss and gum issues, adult teeth should be moved slowly. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask your ortho if there is any way to speed up the process, but don't be surprised if you get an emphatic, "no". Don't worry. 16-24 months is nothing---really! The time will fly.

Cary

#3 Post by Cary »

Thank you for confirming what the "little voice" was telling me in the back of my head. I work with many young "late 20's early 30's" and its hard not to be self conscious and think there is a way to speed along the process.

jxds

#4 Post by jxds »

I'm not sure speeding up is healthy, though I would definitely love to finish ASAP! :D Whatever, once you're in, the important thing is to achieve the goals and have healthy nicely aligned teeth!
braced 07/02/08, braces off january 2010
sentence: 18 months, upper and lower damons + elastics
Bonded+essix retainers
My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=28298