I'm getting 6 month braces in 2 weeks- what do I need?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Unlikejoey

I'm getting 6 month braces in 2 weeks- what do I need?

#1 Post by Unlikejoey »

I'm getting my 6 month smile braces on in 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on things I might need to buy in preperation? Should I buy an electric toothbrush? If so which kind? Also what about things like mouth wash and floss, is there a certain type I should buy?

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

What people ultimately end up liking and using is personal preference. Lots of people swear by their Sonicare or various other electric toothbrushes and say they could never get thru braces without them. I personally hate them. I love my good ol' manual brush. So I would say, no you don't need an electric toothbrush, but if you have been wanting to try one, now is a good excuse to buy one.

As for mouthwash, floss etc., you can stick with what you have always used. You will need floss threaders though. If you want brace-friendly floss (hence no need for a floss threader) Oral B makes Super Floss which has a built in pointy floss threader end and each pre-measured piece has a wide fluffy part and a regular floss part. Lots of people use ACT fluoride rinse for an extra fluoride boost. Wax will be provided by your ortho. Make sure you grab lots of extra. You will need it at first.

You will probably get some free samples from your ortho. I got wax, floss, floss threaders, a toothbrush, and pain relieving gel for the inevitable mouth sores. You may want to wait and see what you get.

chonie

#3 Post by chonie »

I agree, I would wait to see what they give you, that way you can try the stuff first and see what you like and don't like and not end up with all this stuff you bought and don't like using. For example, they gave me some floss with the stiff end on it, I hated it because the actual floss was caked with wax that just crumbled all in my teeth and also the floss felt like rope and hurt my gums. So, I just got used to the floss threaders and found a really great silky floss.

The only thing that I did buy beforehand was the Ortho-sil and my DentaKit. I am really glad that I did too, because I love the Ortho-sil and actually needed to use some on the way home from the Ortho after getting my top braces put on. My dentist gave me 1 lil pack of another type of silicon wax, I used that up right away. I tried the regular wax, but hated it. I have gone through 2 of my lil containers of Ortho-Sil and still have plenty left!! I don't need it as much anymore but every once in awhile something gets irritated and I bring out the silicon.

I did buy a waterpik a couple days after getting braced (mine is WaterPik Ultra) and it is AMAZING... it is excellent for flushing all the stuff from under and around the braces (and especially the molar bands, if you have a space between your tooth and side of the band like me) and it feels really good when my gums are sore.
Spacers: 6/23/09
Top Braces & Bottom Molar bands: 7/1/09
Bottom Braces: 8/19/09

sarahlynn

#4 Post by sarahlynn »

I just got a sonicare toothbrush (SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM brand) this week and I love it. I've never used it before, but I do love it already. Personal preference - I had always wanted to try one so I asked for one for my birthday and my hubby got it for me. I also purchased a portable water pik when I first got my braces (it says portable but it's still pretty large and I only keep and use it at home) - it does work well.

I made my own little travel kit of the things that the ortho gave me plus some extras that I threw in. The thing that I have found most helpful, especially when on the go, is the proxy brush. I got one in my ortho's kit, but I went out and bought some more to have on hand all the time. I never take the time to floss during the work day or when I'm not at home, but the proxy brushes work great for doing a last minute close-up scrub of the brackets or if there is something stubborn stuck somewhere.
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

changes09

#5 Post by changes09 »

I just got a sonicare toothbrush. I LOVE IT! So does my husband, and son. I also always use the proxy brush, dental explorer (it helps get things out that are stuck between my braket, and rubberband.) Floss, listerine mouthwash, and act (flouride) mouthwash, I heard those litte tooth brushes (wips?) are good. I have not tried them though.

Unlikejoey

#6 Post by Unlikejoey »

Thanks everyone. I think i'll do what is suggested and wait and see what i'm given when I go back. I saw some wax today, however so I think I might pick some of that up just in case. By the sounds of it you can never have too much of it! I might see how I get on with my regular tooth brush and then if it doesnt work invest in a new one.

How does a water pick work?

Lori

#7 Post by Lori »

A waterpik is a device that shoots water in between your teeth to dislodge food and bacteria. I recently got the Waterpik Ultra (same as chonie) and agree it is amazing.

sarahlynn

#8 Post by sarahlynn »

Everyone is different with their wax needs - I was a lucky one who barely used any of mine. There were 2 days where I had to wax two brackets, and that's it. I have metal and they really haven't caused me much discomfort at all. But everyone is different.
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

UGHBRACES

#9 Post by UGHBRACES »

GUM interdental brushes
Oral B superfloss
Sonicare toothbrush

Jim C

#10 Post by Jim C »

Some Advil, dental wax, and a shoulder to cry on. That said after a week you're cheeks and lips will toughen up and you'll be fine. I second the Oral B superfloss but also you might try switching Sensodyne tooth paste (right now) to deaden your nerves a bit.

Unlikejoey

#11 Post by Unlikejoey »

Thanks, I have 9 days to go so i'll start with the sensodyne!

Ashley

#12 Post by Ashley »

I used sensodyne toothpaste for a while and i noticed a slight difference. not enough to keep paying the 5 bucks a tube though.

Also, the floss I've been using the past two years is Crest Glide, and wow. It's amazing, let me tell you. Give it a shot, it's made flossing sooo much easier:)

gracey82

#13 Post by gracey82 »

i would have like to have 6 months braces but unfortunately the technology is not available in Singapore / Asia. (Not that I known of or 'google' of!)

Good luck for your braces. Probably need 2 toothbrush, one to keep at home and one to bring along anywhere you go (to brush your teeth after meal s u wont want to be smiling with some vege tangling between the wire :D)

gracey82

Unlikejoey

#14 Post by Unlikejoey »

Thanks, I got them on yesterday. They feel very tender today so im on a soup and yoghurt diet! Hopefully the tenderness will pass in a few days!