Gummy smile (showing more more) after braces, anyone?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

single&braces

Gummy smile (showing more more) after braces, anyone?

#1 Post by single&braces »

Hi

I have put on braces for about 3 weeks now. I'm not sure if its phycological or its really that I feel it showing more of my gum when I smile now.

Can this be happening???

thanks,
Single&braces

thisisme

#2 Post by thisisme »

It's definitely possible. :)

Megan11

#3 Post by Megan11 »

It's an illusion from the brackets.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

single&braces

#4 Post by single&braces »

in this case, its really not good. I love my smile before (no showing of gum), but if braces gonna give me gummy smile, this is not good at all :(

single&braces

rolo

#5 Post by rolo »

Call your ortho for advice maybe?

danz23

yes!!! its happening to me 2!

#6 Post by danz23 »

I am scared of becoming more gummy! I'm sure I wasn't ever gummy before and then my new ortho (on one of my first consultations) said I had a bit of a gummy smile. Now he's made me kinda paranoid about it, even tho its not that bad. I didn't actually notice before he made that comment. I think my first round of braces caused this to happen. Why (does it happen) I wonder??
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets

mist

Re: yes!!! its happening to me 2!

#7 Post by mist »

danz23 wrote:Why (does it happen) I wonder??
got a deep bite ?
just had an idea :idea:

downhill

#8 Post by downhill »

Gummi smile is posible, mine got really bad, the right side of my smile got really gummi while the left shown no gum :shock:

theKurp

Re: yes!!! its happening to me 2!

#9 Post by theKurp »

danz23 wrote:I am scared of becoming more gummy! I didn't actually notice before he made that comment. I think my first round of braces caused this to happen. Why (does it happen) I wonder??
Think about it, the further your teeth are pushed forward the more the gum line will show. In severe cases, surgery corrects the problem by recessing the jaw.