How much weight has been lost since being braced?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fluffybottom

#16 Post by fluffybottom »

When I got my braces on in May 2008, I was around 135 lbs. Being that I am 5'10", I didn't want/need to lose weight. I lost a little at first, just because my teeth were soooo sore. And then I got my impacted canine exposed; it was painful for anything to touch the roof of my mouth, no matter how soft. Even liquids hurt! For a while, I was drinking a lot of Ensure through a straw and not taking in much else. By December, I was hovering between 117 and 120 lbs which was ... skeletal. I looked awful.

However! I have since gained the weigh back and am now basically at my pre-brace weight (drifting between 130 and 135 lbs.). I eat pretty much everything; I just approach some things with more care than others. The only thing I really stay away from is Swedish hardbread. Man, I am going to eat a whole wheel of that stuff when I get my braces off!
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

acidcookie

#17 Post by acidcookie »

I wish I would lose some weight!

I'm using the lack of eating as much junk food to kick start weight loss. I'm finally going back to the gym. I can't eat any kind of candy and with rubber bands my mouth hurts way too much to over eat.

Well, at least I haven't gained :)

Folk Ballad

#18 Post by Folk Ballad »

I would usually drop a couple pounds after every adjustment, but then gain it back again. Though after having jaw surgery, I lost roughly a pound a day (according to my bathroom scale) and lost 10 pounds total. Although I can eat a lot more these days, I haven't gained very much of it back at all. (But hey, I'm not complaining! Thanks to having surgery I'm now at my ideal weight. Looks like braces are good for something after all!)

ITeachMY

#19 Post by ITeachMY »

I have lost close to 20 pounds since getting my braces on near the end of June! It's the perfect diet plan for me! My second adjustment...no pain at all. I go in for my 3rd adjustment in 3 days. I have been told that this time is going to be more painful, so I am sure that I will lose a few more pounds. I know it sounds crazy, but it's my perfect weight loss plan.

Dutchess

#20 Post by Dutchess »

I was kinda hoping to lose a little bit of weight, but I belong to the lucky ones that experience no soreness at all (except for the first week after they were put on, ouch). B

I found myself very creative in still eating everything. Even almonds and beef jerky. Just cut done on the sugar because I am paranoid of getting cavities.

jjjmac

#21 Post by jjjmac »

I lost 30 lbs. within the first 5-6 months of getting the braces and I've gained 20 of those back during the second 5-6 months. :-/ I'm almost looking forward to when I get the rubber bands because hopefully I'll lose again!
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

PrincessPeach

#22 Post by PrincessPeach »

I'm pretty tiny anyway, 113 pounds at the moment.
Before i got braces i was probably around 107, which was what i went down to after having my extractions in april, i never really put weight pack on as i had a pretty active job & not much time to eat
When i got my lowers i think i went down to 104, but when i regained my teeth strength, i ate eveything possible to put weight on before getting my uppers, in a week i think i've lost about 2lbs, but i can see that my teeth arent as sore now, so eating is getting a little easier, even if it is slow, so i doubt they'll be much more.

However snacking goes down, as the effort of cleaning is sometimes not worth eating for!
Lower Braces = 22nd June 09 - 2nd Sept 10 (14 months, 1 week & 4 days)
Upper braces = 10th August 09 - 2nd Sept 10 (12 months, 3 weeks & 2 days)

sarahlynn

#23 Post by sarahlynn »

I got my bite turbos on last week and although they aren't bothering me at all, eating has once again become a slow process - and I've noticed that it's lessened my overall food intake due to the slow process :lol: Couple that with getting my lowers on in just under 2 weeks and I think I'm due to lose a little more :x
Brace days:
uppers - June 11, 2009
lowers - August 27, 2009

My story - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

beachmommy

#24 Post by beachmommy »

I think I've lost 8-10 pounds. I hate the feeling of food in my teeth, so I only eat soft foods at home so I can clean! I am trying to buy more milkshakes, etc so I don't lose too much more weight. I am pretty small anyway, so I will be anorexic if I lose another 10 pounds in the next year.

peach

#25 Post by peach »

I must have an iron jaw. I've been braced for 26 months. I've had powerchains, 4 teeth extracted and have had top and bottom expanders in the beginning of treatment. I haven't lost one darn pound!:( I just take some advil the day of my adjustment and I'm usually good to go. I also usually just chew through any discomfort and it goes away within a day or two.

SpicyOrleanian

#26 Post by SpicyOrleanian »

In the 1st week I lost 5-6 lbs, because I was scared to eat.

I hate food getting stuck in my teeth, and it was too difficult to floss. I've started eating a little more, I just hate bread getting stuck in the braces esp. on the sides. :(

Unlikejoey

#27 Post by Unlikejoey »

I dont think i've really lost any weight since being braced. I was limited to what I ccould eat for the first 3 days but now i can really eat normally. The only thing that has changes is I have to avoid things that stain because I opted for clear braces.