TIRED OF BRACES!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

macputnal06

TIRED OF BRACES!

#1 Post by macputnal06 »

I have had braces for 2 1/2 years and its gotten very annoying! I just want them to be off, does anyone else feel this way?

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I think everyone gets frustrated with braces after the initial novelty wears off. 2 1/2 years is a long time though. Any word on when they will come off?

As for me, I just had an adjustment today and was told that I'm on month 20 out of and estimated 30. That was simultaneously good, bad, and really bad news. Good because I'm more than half done, bad because 10 more months seems like an eternity, really bad because the pessimist in me thinks that treatment will end up taking longer then 30 months.

I guess whether I find them annoying or not depends on the day, my mood, and what I'm trying to eat. But ultimately I've committed myself to this treatment--no matter how longs it takes--so I just do my best to try and forget they are there.

macputnal06

#3 Post by macputnal06 »

Well all the orthodontist said is that they wil be coming off soon, but no real time was given about just how long that would be. I have an appointment tomorow so I will ask him then.

Neptune

#4 Post by Neptune »

Haha - I couldn't agree more with this statement!

I'm rounding my 15th month and...I'm sooooo "over" it. I read that the "over it" phase is pretty common, hitting after the 1-year mark. I find myself LONGING for appointments in the hope that SOMETHING different will happen. Since my teeth only exhibited very mild crowding, the only changes I'm noticing is that the archwires are becoming more and more parallel. Never would have thought that seeking parallelism in my mouth would be a necessary activity.

That said, I don't have much to complain about. You're a trooper for staying strong for 2.5 years. Here's to good news from both of our orthodontists tomorrow.
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

dugsmom

#5 Post by dugsmom »

i've been in braces for 1 year 3 months and I am itching to get them off. I hope this final year flies by.

bracesafter40

Re: TIRED OF BRACES!

#6 Post by bracesafter40 »

macputnal06 wrote:I have had braces for 2 1/2 years and its gotten very annoying! I just want them to be off, does anyone else feel this way?
I'm at 2 years 5 months and it was supposed to be 2 years and 6 months. It will be at least year I think or longer. Hey, its life, just let it ride. You have no control anyways.
http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com
Bridge Sectioned: Feb. 14, 2007
Last Pre-braces cleaning: Feb. 20, 2007
#21 Extraction: Feb. 20, 2007
Sentenced: 32 months
Top Braced: Feb 28, 2007
Bottom Braced: Apr. 4, 2007
New Ortho on Apr. 25, 2008
May 6; fluorescent blue ligs incl. upper powerchains. 2 elastics; Sept. 2, 2008.
Next Adj.: July 7, 2009 at 8:30a

Fhumulani

#7 Post by Fhumulani »

my braces annoys me too. I have them for 11 months now but already over them. I had a huge open bite and a huge gap on top front teeth. The open bite is almost closed but the gap is taking forever. I sometimes double my rubber bands to speed up the process but it hurt so much. please help, what can I do to speed up the process. I go to my appointment every three months since I moved to another province and have to fly back for my appointment.

Tyrantblade

#8 Post by Tyrantblade »

I don't mind my braces, what annoys me is months of what feels and looks like no progress
Lots of crimes here

1. The upper molars bite too far ahead of the lower molars

2. Missing teeth #s 9, 14, and, 29

3. Open bite

4. Upper midline left of center

5. Lower midline right of center

6. Upper and lower teeth not straight

Sentence - 24 months, turned to 27 month.

Braces removed since 11/06/17

lmk

#9 Post by lmk »

Oh yes, I am SO over having braces! I'm almost at the end of my treatment and I just can't stand them anymore. Want them off!

millersgirl

#10 Post by millersgirl »

Getting braces has probably been the worst decision I've ever made. Ever. I completely regret it and just want to be done. No idea when that will be. Biggest waste of time and money and my teeth are basically going to be the same as when I started. So yeah, I'm there with you. I just want them off.

djspeece

#11 Post by djspeece »

I think what everyone feeling is completely normal and expected. As the experience with braces continues, one finds more and more inconveniences and bends in the road. I certainly had my share of second-guessing, which is something I rarely do otherwise. Although others state that time just flies by, that was not my experience at all. And I'm at the age when time is supposed to fly by, and I get to bore my adult children with such witticisms as "Man oh man, time sure flies the older you get" and so forth. Good that you all can come here and vent. This too shall pass.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

arimour

#12 Post by arimour »

I'm ready to be done as well. 1.5 years in them, and probably another 8 months left. Some of the added time is my fault - I put off getting TADS, the main component of my treatment, until this Jan. So now we're doing this heavy-duty movement of my lower third molars, and wow, talk about screwing up my bite! It's open, crooked; teeth are spaced, jaw is strained + I still have the top arch that they've more or less neglected for the moment. My face is elongated and I keep fearing that it'll stay this way (although today and last week I've noticed my face appearing shorter, even compared to before I got braces, so that's encouraging). I think part of the impatience is that I have to get implants once this is done. That office wants to do a sinus lift before I'm de-braced, but they've stalled and I think it's because they want to be absolutely certain of where these lower molars will be. GRR. I just want to be DONE.