How old is too old to get braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amandajane

How old is too old to get braces?

#1 Post by amandajane »

I read this forum alot, and I see people with their stories ranging from teenager to sixty year olds.

I am 31, but braces went on at 30.

So I was a little self-concious that I am too old to get braces. What do you guys think?

View my story at Amanda's Braces in Our Braces Stories on:

viewtopic.php?t=31380[url]

GiverSSJ

#2 Post by GiverSSJ »

You're never too old for braces! Who doesn't L-O-V-E a nice smile?

Huon

#3 Post by Huon »

If your bite is uncomfortable, if you cannot clean between your teeth, if your teeth detract from your appearance in a significant way, or if you suffer from some forms of jaw pain, then orthodontic treatment may well be warranted, whatever your age.
My braces went on when I was 70 and I have not regretted the decision to have them, for a moment. I was apprehensive, as a result of brutal treatment when I was a child, but had a pleasant surprise when I found how little pain there could be under modern treatment.
I am totally happy with the result of my treatment and now have a comfortable bite for the first time since my adult teeth came through, can clean effectively and no longer look at a jumble of teeth.
Huon

amandajane

Response

#4 Post by amandajane »

Thanks Huon and Giver.

With my braces I am trying to fix my bite as well, its fairly uncomfortable when eating or any other time. Plus the huge gap doesn't help my looks any!

Thanks for helping me look beyond!

viewtopic.php?t=31380[url][url]

Takako

#5 Post by Takako »

People twice your age have gotten braces :) You're never to "old".

newsboysgrl777

#6 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

I know you've already gotten answers, but I still wanted to answer this.

"How old is too old to get braces?" When you're dead. That's when you're 'too old.' :) I am slightly joking, but it's true...my ortho has talked about a few 80 year old patients she's had!! Imagine doing it at 80?!?! Dang..I'd rather get falsies! LOL

amandajane

Response

#7 Post by amandajane »

It's nice to see others that care about their dental health on this forum! Much appreciated!Gives me hope.

viewtopic.php?t=31380

roxxie

#8 Post by roxxie »

My ortho's office told me that their oldest patient was 72 when she got her braces off. And she got a rainbow retainer :)

SDFD TSchott

#9 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I know of one of my friends relatives has braces and they are 71 years old

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

thisisme

#10 Post by thisisme »

When you're so old, that you have no teeth. :)