Teeth Clenching

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Briggsy

Teeth Clenching

#1 Post by Briggsy »

I've been braced for 3 weeks. However I become aware that I am clenching my teeth during the night. I am curious to know if this could be causing the muscles in my neck and shoulders to go into spasm? My neck is so stiff I cannot tip my head up or down and my shoulders are rigid. (this makes driving abit precarious) I just can't think what else this could be down too...
Has anyone else had a problem with their neck/shoulders due to clenching teeth? Or am I just odd!

snashe

#2 Post by snashe »

I had (well, i still have but it has been worse) tmj problem and jaw muscles problems and it used to give me shoulder and neck muscle problems. There are greats chances that bite-problems and/or clenching can cause theses problems.

hal2me

#3 Post by hal2me »

Hi Briggsy,

I have had my braces almost 3 months now and still clench my teeth. If you search the posts, you will see a number of us do this as well. It is completely normal. I think we clench our teeth because it feels good. We are not aware of this while we are sleeping. Sometimes I clench so hard it wakes me up from a sound sleep :lol:

Takako

#4 Post by Takako »

I knew I had some clenching problems when awake, like when I was cold or focusing on something, but I never knew I did it in my sleep until braces!! I started waking up in the morning and suddenly squeeking my teeth against each other as my jaw relaxed. It doesn't happen every morning, but it was an uncomfortable surprise the first time it happened.

Briggsy

#5 Post by Briggsy »

Update: went to Ortho yesterday for advice. Apparently it is the jaw muscle thingy (can't remember the proper terminology). Typical... trust me to be difficult. I've grAnyway he has tightened my top braces (and I'm only 3 weeks in). The ligs are now replaced by white wire ties... a few teeth are abit sore this morning but not too bad atall. The only advice about the teeth clenching was about the pain relief or removing the bottom arch - which I obviously don't want to do.... Anyway, my neck is less stiff while I'm popping the pills.... thanks for listening to me rant... :0)

elleda

#6 Post by elleda »

I'm on day 2 of braces and am having problems with clenching also. I wake up and am in so much pain i can't stand it. The doctor's office gave me a sport mouth guard hoping that will help as I can't use my normal bite guard.
Any tips or tricks will be appreciated!

Margie

#7 Post by Margie »

I clench my teeth when I sleep now as well. I didn't do it before I got braces so I am assuming I do it because of the braces. I have had my braces for just over a month now and I don't think I clench my teeth as much anymore, or not as badly anyway because it isn't waking me up like it was. I didn't get stiff or anything because of it, my jaw would be a little bit sore when I would wake up but that was it.

katiekate

#8 Post by katiekate »

I was clenching my teeth in my sleep really badly when I first got mine on (never clenched before in my life)... but now three months in, I either dont do it anymore or I just dont notice it!

good luck with the neck / shoulder tension!