2 topics: Power chains / Braces off for wedding

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newsboysgrl777

2 topics: Power chains / Braces off for wedding

#1 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Power chains:
I just thought I'd show some pics of my teeth before my powerchains and after. It amazes me how they really work so quickly! Now, my reason for braces is mostly to fix an overjet and overbite which is actually a skeletal deformity, but to such a slight degree that braces alone will suffice. That being said, I've not had teeth to un-twist or gaps to close, or crowding to separate...until my bottom braces. Anyway, here are some pics! :)

April 20 (2 weeks after I got the bottoms put on):

June 2 (2 weeks after I got the powerchains put on):

Braces off for wedding:
Originally, I was going to get my top brackets off on May 30 and then have them put back on on July 6. My ortho told me I wouldn't need a retainer because they'd be off for less than a week. Well, I got a call yesterday from her office saying that they're actually closed the week of July 6, so could I come in the FOLLOWING week to have my braces put back on!!! This means I'll have them off for my ENTIRE honeymoon! AND, I'll be having them off for about 2 weeks. YAAAY!!

I have to admit that I am a little nervous about this. I mean, this is 2 weeks that my top teeth won't be having work done on them, but right now we're focusing mostly on my bottoms anyway, so I guess it's okay. And, I've also heard that your teeth hurt at first when the braces are taken off, so that's a little unnerving. And, of course, this means I'll be wearing a retainer of some sort. (I'll ask for a bonded retainer, rather than an essix so I don't have to even THINK about it) But, anyway, I was very excited over this prospect! Of course, I still won't be able to eat things I'm not allowed to (such as corn on the cob *sob*) because I'll still be jailed on the bottom, but, it'll be interesting to see what it's like after so long of being in them!

Just wanted to share these 2 pieces of news with y'all. And, if anyone has had or does have a bonded retainer, does it irritate the inside of your mouth at all? How long does it take to adjust? Etc. I just KNOW I'll be one of those people who have to wax up the back of that thing like crazy if there's even A LITTLE irritation. :-\ My mouth is just SUPER, HYPER sensitive

magster

#2 Post by magster »

Hi!

I wish I could give you advice - but I wouldnt know. YAY for getting them off for the whole honeymoon though :)

and the other day I was wondering what happened to you! didnt see a post from you for a while and was a bit sad :(
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

amandajane

Response

#3 Post by amandajane »

Don't want to sound like a pessimist, but why don't just keep them on till the teeth are straightened out. Is your soon to be husband demanding that they be taken off? Frankly if I were in your shoes I'd leave my braces on, but that's me.

Good luck with the wedding. :-88

newsboysgrl777

#4 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Mag - hey! I know...so sorry! I've been SOOO busy with everything. The wedding planning stuff...and we actually just found a place to move into after we're married! We didn't expect to have that happen until AFTER the wedding, but when we saw the place, we fell in love so we took it. I'll be moving in there near the end of this month, then he'll follow me after we're married. (We're currently not living together) Anyway, i've been so busy, I haven't even been able to take pictures of my teeth regularly to follow the changes. I had been keeping a collage of my teeth from day one through now, but June 2 is the first time I had ANY time to take ANY pics of my teeth. LOL

Amanda - that'd be pretty foolish of my fiance to do, don't you think? DEMAND something like that of me? And I'd be equally foolish to marry him if he did. Besides, he's a guy. Guy's don't think about this kind of stuff, you know? He probably won't even REALLY notice my dress. I mean, sure, he'll think it's great, but ANY dress I picked out he'd think that, you know? :) However, it's my choice entirely and I'll tell you why I'd like to do this -- in all of my photos, I'd love be braces-free. I had thought about just taking out the archwire, but, I'd love to have some close-ups and things so I'd just rather have no braces. Also, if I were to want to buy a larger portrait of a close-up, do you think I'd love staring at it for years to come, seeing those braces?? NOPE! :) So, this was my choice and my ortho actually suggested it LAST JULY when I was first going to a consultation to discuss if I needed braces or not. I wouldn't have thought to do it, I don't think. :)

newsboysgrl777

#5 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

PS Only the tops are coming off..and maybe not even all of them. Maybe just the "social 6." And, like I said, my tops are pretty much completely aligned, etc. The only thing you'll notice is the two middle teeth are kind of funky and that's simply because of a chip I have in the one tooth. My ortho will take care of that ALSO before the wedding. :) (The chip happened a LONG time ago. I had bonding, then it came off, but I didn't do anything about it. Then I had bonding again just before I got my braces put on, but again, didn't hold very well, and then when the braces started doing their thing, my teeth just got all weird...LOL)

newsboysgrl777

#6 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Here's one more pic. Taken about 3 minutes ago. See the tops? Not bad, right?? And yes, this is me purposely biting down on the bottom teeth (edge to edge). NOT my actual bite.

newsboysgrl777

#7 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

My actual bite

rolo

#8 Post by rolo »

I think it's a great idea to have some brackets removed for your wedding. It's your wedding day and it's great that you are doing what's right for you. Fantastic that your ortho is so supportive.