Can x rays be taken with braces on teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amandajane

Can x rays be taken with braces on teeth?

#1 Post by amandajane »

Can x rays be taken with braces on teeth? Is that normal?

Megan11

#2 Post by Megan11 »

Yes your ortho will take x-rays during your treatment to make sure the roots are moving correctly.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

browneyedgrl

#3 Post by browneyedgrl »

Yes they can, I had my regular annual x-rays from my dentist with my braces on as well as with my ortho.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

uvraise

#4 Post by uvraise »

As others have stated, yes radiographs can be taken with your braces on. However, the brackets and archwire will appear "radiopaque", which means the xrays will not penetrate them and they will appear as "white" on the radiograph or x-ray itself. In a previous life I took medical radiographs for 12 years. Hope that helps!
JOHN

Hoff

#5 Post by Hoff »

your mouth will be electrocuted

amandajane

response

#6 Post by amandajane »

HOff,
Do you mind explaining? :tingrin: :Questions:

Polly

#7 Post by Polly »

Your mouth won't be electrocuted so don't worry amandajane. I have had numerous x-rays while I had braces on

DrJasonKTam

#8 Post by DrJasonKTam »

X-Rays can be taken with or without the braces on.

Your orthodontist is likely taking a panoramic x-ray which is a view of the jaws and the roots in one film. This one is not diagnostic for cavities or bone loss. As mentioned, it is generally looking for the position of the roots to make sure they are parallel. It may also be used to see the presence of other teeth that are developing or to send information to the dentist/oral surgeon for extractions or an exposure.

Your dentist is likely taking periapical or bitewing films. The former is used for the anterior teeth, and to visualize the roots of the posterior teeth. Bitewings are used in the posterior region to check for cavities and bone level. Since the wires and brackets will appear on the x-rays as radioopaque (white, like the bone and teeth), it may not be possible to check for cavities with them on.

Hope this helps!
Dr. Jason Tam
Toronto Invisalign, Scarborough braces, and Markham Orthodontist
Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Thrice Published in the Invisalign Case Gallery

http://www.mcosmiles.com

Learn all about Toronto Invisalign at http://www.torontobraces.ca.

Before and After Invisalign Video 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTVxoTQqR8
Before and After Invisalign Video 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywcwlyL-sg8

Skysi

#9 Post by Skysi »

I had a set of x-rays taken at the beginning of the year, with my braces.
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)