Why two wires on top arch?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shan*rock

Why two wires on top arch?

#1 Post by shan*rock »

I'm a year into treatment and yesterday they put a second wire on my top arch. I have the normal one that goes through the brackets and a second one that kind of butterflies above the brackets. Don't really know how to explain it, but it is tied in the center and makes kind of a shallow M shape above the brackets. I cried after they put it on, maybe it's just because I'm pregnant and hormonal, but I was not expecting to see all that metal. I've never seen anyone with this set-up and I was upset so I didn't get it together to ask why and how long it will be there?

Briggsy

#2 Post by Briggsy »

don#t knwo if 2 archwires are common, but try not to worry. Everyone will be lmaking a fuss about your bump, not worrying about whether you've got one archwire or two.... try not to let it stress you... :lol:

Folk Ballad

#3 Post by Folk Ballad »

Not sure if I had the exact same thing as you, but for a time I had two wires on my top teeth. One went through the brackets like normal and the other was tied right on top of that one with metal ties.
They did that because they wanted to widen the top a little bit/moved my molars outwards so that they fit better with my bottom molars.

sdawdy

#4 Post by sdawdy »

I had two archwires on my bottom arch for a while. It was the regular one through the brackets then as you mentioned one with wire ties outside the brackets. Mine had loops on it that were activated and they were used to extrude my molars some. Not sure if this is what you are talking about but I had the double wire thing for a while.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new baby to come!

SD

shan*rock

#5 Post by shan*rock »

Thanks everyone for the replies! Folk Ballad~ yours sounds exactly like what I have and that I do remember them saying something about widening the arch. Do you recall how long they kept it on? I really hope it's not that long. It's a pain.

Sdawdy~ yours might too, but I don't have loops. I tried looking around the Internet, but I can't seem to find much, so maybe it's not very common. Ugh!

Folk Ballad

#6 Post by Folk Ballad »

Hmmm... It's hard to recall. I want to say at least a couple of months. Now that that part of treatment's done, it feels like it was no time at all though at the time it felt like forever! :lol:
Good luck with your treatment!!