When you first got braced...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xJx

When you first got braced...

#1 Post by xJx »

Hello all,was just curious to how your friends,family,colleagues etc reacted when you first got your braces?
Smile and the world smiles with you! :D

descantus

#2 Post by descantus »

To my astonishment most didn't notice (i've got ceramic uppers and metal lowers), and when I did point them out people were politely disinterested. I also got through a whole sunday lunch with my mum sitting beside me without her realising, which was some achievement as my teeth were so painful at that point I could barely eat :roll:
Follow my story:
http://dentalpurgatory.blogspot.com/

[/url]

magster

#3 Post by magster »

I dont think many people noticed at first but then when they did they mostly said "when did you get braces? have you had them this whole time?? your teeth werent even bad?"

hmm
according to me my teeth were horrible.
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

pixelbrace

#4 Post by pixelbrace »

like magster- everyone tells me- oh youre teeth were fine why'd you get braces!
so that is a bit annoying. Its mainly to fix my overbite which most people dont notice.

Regardless, sometimes i get double takes and i know people notice but just dont say anything.

LITTLEMA

#5 Post by LITTLEMA »

I'm 21, and I'm a bank teller, so I have to smile often.

A lot of my co workers had braces as adults, and gave me lots of warning about what to expect.

So the day I had the appointment, a bunch of them were anxious to see if I was in any pain, or if they hurt. And gave lots of advice.

NObody was mean. I mean sure the occasional metal mouth, and braceface come out, but it's all in fun and games..

Oh. I've also earned myself a new nickname. BETTY.

I wore maroon plastic framed glasses, and had the straight down bangs like ugly betty. So there's where betty comes in play. But since i've gotten braces. I've been wearing contacts. =]

I'm sure this is more than you needed to know.
x0x0LITTLEMA

Takako

#6 Post by Takako »

I got a lot of people not noticing at all heh, or the "polite indifference" that someone else mentioned.

GiovanntiLawing

#7 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

When I got braces last July, I don't think anyone noticed for like the first 3 months. I'm wearing ceramic on top and bottom. One day, my supervisor was like "Gio, when did you get braces?" I was like, ummm, about 3 months ago. So it was kind of funny! People who do notice them, often wonder "WoW, when I had braces, they were all metal"
...so they react pretty normal. No one really cares that you have braces if you think its going to be a big deal :-) Just smile! You can afford them!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

2XRound

New look

#8 Post by 2XRound »

I got some snarky comments about my new "trout pout", but most people didn't notice. I had a lisp for quite a while with all the stuff in my mouth and that made me horribly self conscious till it went away.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

Skysi

#9 Post by Skysi »

Most people didn't notice, at the very most it was 'you got braces' :)
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

hal2me

#10 Post by hal2me »

Many people did not notice until I pointed my braces out to them. However, once they found out, the usual response was, "Your teeth were not that bad. Why did you get them now?". To me they were, so I took care of it :lol:

xJx

#11 Post by xJx »

Thanks for all your responses :)
Smile and the world smiles with you! :D

acidcookie

#12 Post by acidcookie »

Most don't notice unless I mention something I'd rather not eat. Others point it out excitedly.

A few people have been genuinely happy for me because they knew how self conscious I've felt about my teeth all my life.

I've yet to get negative feedback...but I know folks are tired of me griping about the pain though.