Food you no longer like now you have braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thisisme

#16 Post by thisisme »

I still eat everything. :P

cathykay

#17 Post by cathykay »

I really hate picking food out of my teeth. Any kind of food.

But the worst is... Tomatoes!

The little seed things get stuck and feel slimy and disgusting when they get caught in my braces. I absolutely hate it. I had a couple cherry tomatoes in a pasta dish today and I definitely didn't enjoy them as much as I used to.

I have been really weird with my eating habits since I got braces. At this point, I still cut up my food. I don't like biting into things because 1) The food is more likely to get stuck and like I said, I hate picking food out of my teeth (ew), and 2) It just feels strange! I'm in the early stages so my bite is weird - better on one side than the other.

Ceramic on the top, metal on bottom

My Braces Story! (with pictures!)

acidcookie

#18 Post by acidcookie »

Any type of sandwich or bagel. I feel like a serial killer eating EVERYTHING with a knife and fork, lol.

Eric805

#19 Post by Eric805 »

I eat anything. Just bite right into it. Certain things do get stuck more and can be annoying though, but my Waterpick pretty much takes care of it.

LITTLEMA

#20 Post by LITTLEMA »

IDK if there is necessarily food that I don't like to eat, but there sure is food I hesitate to eat because of the cleaning process afterwards.

I guess you can call me lazy.

But when I'm offered food that normally I would gladly eat. I secretly think to myself... is that worth having to go brush yuor teeth all over again after you just brushed 10 min. ago. . .

HA. =]
x0x0LITTLEMA

bracesat30

#21 Post by bracesat30 »

Hmmm.....how about everything?!

Definitely chips, noodles, rice, anything with seeds, bread (impossible to tear, has to be broken into bits), eggs (although they are easy to eat, just get stuck everywhere!), scared to attempt salads.

It's no wonder people can tend to lose some weight when these go on! Snacking after eating is just too much effort with the maintenance involved. Plus I'm finding eating a chore usually no matter what it is, so portion sizes are smaller for sure.

Blossom

#22 Post by Blossom »

acidcookie wrote:Any type of sandwich or bagel. I feel like a serial killer eating EVERYTHING with a knife and fork, lol.
Haha! This made me laugh. I totaly felt like a serial killer eating a burger with a knife and fork the other day! I think I may just skip burgers until I can bite into one on my own!
:wink:
[/url]

switchblades

#23 Post by switchblades »

- Any kind of nuts
- Apples. Even cut up, the skin on those suckers is brutal.
- Corn on the cob. One of my favorites, and I nearly killed my mom the night last week when she brought it home to go with BBQ...but not work the effort or broken brackets.
- Raw celery. So stringy, and hard, and just a bad combo with braces.
- Raw carrots. enough said.
- Red meat in general. I didn't like it much before; now it's just a hassle to eat. I still do eat it sometimes but not very often.

I eat differently at home than out in public. If I'm just at home by myself I don't pay much attention to how it looks, I just brush my teeth after. I carry a toothbrush, but there's a lot to be said for respecting your fellow diners haha.

Jewles

#24 Post by Jewles »

Chocolate with little bits of nuts in it, the nuts just get stuck in every little crevice in my braces!

PiscesFish1969

#25 Post by PiscesFish1969 »

Broccoli - I love it, cooked or fresh, but it's just not worth it. Even with a Water Pik.
Rice - I swear more gets stuck in the brackets than I actually swallow.
Fresh fruits & veggies - even cut up, carrots and apples still scare me. I go with bananas and peaches now instead.
I still eat most everything else, although I try to take it slow with nuts and chips. I'd be really embarrassed to have a bracket break off!
Hubby got his Harley - 8/07
Started researching Orthos - 9/07
Lower Pre-molar extractions 8/6/08
Braced on 8/13/08 - 39 years old
Debraced on 12/6/2010 - 41 years old
Looking forward to the next 41+ years, this time with an improved smile!

blueeyedboy

#26 Post by blueeyedboy »

I don't really avoid anything that I ate pre-braces, but I have noticed that eating ice cream with certain add-ins (e.g., mint chocolate chip or butter pecan) is still tasty, but a little less fun than before.

jxds

#27 Post by jxds »

I wouldn't say there's food I no longer like, but wearing braces has definitely made some food much less enjoyable for me! I'm thinking about stuff like lettuce (probably the worst?), rice, spaghetti, some fish, burgers, chips, bagels...I still all these but man, they're a pain!

Things I have decided to avoid: all kinds of nuts (and that includes chocolate and cookies with bits of nuts in them), corn in the cob (well, that's impossible to eat), sunflower seeds (I love them but they're just not worth it), of course also chewing gum and sticky candies, and popcorn. I've tried most of them, I must admit, but have decided that I'd rather do without them for 18 months!

Jim C

#28 Post by Jim C »

I'm losing weight too. Snacks present just too much of hassle to clean up after so I just skip them now.

The dreaded list:

Rice/Noodles
Granola or Nut Bars
Crusty Bread
Cookies

trillium

#29 Post by trillium »

Grilled cheese sandwiches (well, anything made with "plastic cheese") the ENTIRE thing gets caught in my braces ewwww.
04/09/09- Consult, 04/21/09- Spacers in, 04/23/09- Braces on, 06/01/09- Extractions
06/25/09- First Adjustment (new wire, but same size- all the way to bck molars- after extractions)
08/20/09- Second adjustment (same size wire but got Powerchains top and bottom!!!)
10/02/09- 3rd adj (same size wire, new powerchain, started elastics)
12/10/09- 4th adj. (same size wire, new powerchain, same elastics)
02/11/10- 5th adj.

jxds

#30 Post by jxds »

eww, that's so true!