Food you no longer like now you have braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Blossom

Food you no longer like now you have braces?

#1 Post by Blossom »

I have been thinking about the foods I used to love that are just plain annoying to eat now.
Have you guys found the same with some foods?
It seems by the week I am adding to the list of food that I don't want to eat anymore because of how difficult it is to clean out of my teeth!

Pet hates this week are:
Rice
Noodles
Spinach (Never again!)
Tuna
Chips

On the plus I have lost 3.5kgs :)
[/url]

Neptune

#2 Post by Neptune »

Wow, I second the noodles. They're not difficult to get out of my teeth, just unbelievable gross to feel move around in the back of my mouth when I'm not quite able to get to a mirror. Yuck.

Also:
- almonds (yes they're a no-no for a reason)
- sunflower seeds (I was ADDICTED before braces)
- salad (I still eat this, but it just feels gross)
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

jesspenguin

#3 Post by jesspenguin »

There aren't any foods that I won't eat because of my braces, though there are plenty that are really annoying. Many of them I love too much to give up entirely :)

Rice is awful because huge amounts of it get stuck between my braces and my cheek, but I love it enough to deal with the annoyance.

Spinach/salad/greens are a pain but once again, too tasty to abandon them.

Of all the things that get stuck in my braces, it bothers me the most when there's a piece of meat hanging in there. I don't know why, it just bothers me more than any other items that get caught.

I lost about 15 lbs in the first month or so of braces, but it was because my teeth hurt too much to eat effectively. Don't miss those days one bit! I'd rather pick stuff out of my teeth all day long than not be able to chew.
Time spent in braces: 16 months
Retainers: Top/bottom bonded and top/bottom Essix at night

Briggsy

#4 Post by Briggsy »

cous cous.... OMG it took my about 20 mins of brushing to erradicate every last trace of it!

almost50

#5 Post by almost50 »

licorice

UGHBRACES

#6 Post by UGHBRACES »

I eat everything i always have. An interproximal brush takes care of any stubborn to remove food pretty quick.

amandajane

Foods I eat

#7 Post by amandajane »

I try to eat soft foods, but if I see something that isn't soft like soup, I will grab it and eat it anyways. Bad idea, I know. I haven't lost weight, maybe a few pounds or so. I'm 30, so I still devour everthing in sight and still have a pretty fast metabolism. If only my conscience will tell me to put down the hard foods?

Blossom

#8 Post by Blossom »

I used to eat so much salad but I just don't like the feel of it in my braces.
Rocket is really nasty to get out and any fruit with small seeds.
Poppy seeds are such a pain too!
I think yoghurt is about the easiest thing to eat from now on and even that tastes better if it has bits of fruit in it!
[/url]

Megan11

#9 Post by Megan11 »

Briggsy wrote:cous cous.... OMG it took my about 20 mins of brushing to erradicate every last trace of it!
LOL, hahah I can only imagine :D :D

I hate eating shrimp now, ugh the thought of having shrimp particles all stuck in my teeth grosses me out so bad. I eat a lot less meat now that I have braces.

Hmm... Other annoyances:

Chips
Pretzels
Hamburgers (biting into them is really awkward)
Snickers
Biscotti ( Oh how I miss you with my cup of coffee)
Mozzarella sticks( WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD!!!! no joke have come close to death with those suckers lol)

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

MrMetalMouth1029

#10 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

I don't like those sweets so much--you know, the ones I shouldn't be eating anyway, lol...

Ruffles potato chips are harder to eat...I prefer Lays now.

I'll eat a Starburst every now and then, but I have to brace myself for the pain and irritation that results.

And after popping out a bracket over Christmas, I've learned to stay away from candy canes :wink:
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

Skysi

#11 Post by Skysi »

Leafy greens are something that I can't win against! haha, they always get tangled on my molar hooks and i need to have a mirror to be able to remove them. Eveything else i'm fine with :)
on 20th March 2008

got them off 9th November 2011

(3 years 7 months 2 weeks 6 days)

hal2me

#12 Post by hal2me »

Definitely ground beef! Whether it is tacos or hamburgers, it grosses me out seeing pieces of meat come out of my mouth while cleaning my braces. I feel like a chipmunk because so much food is stuck in my cheeks! I am sure you all can relate :lol:

ellen

#13 Post by ellen »

I was eating a hard, crunchy granola-type bar this past weekend and praying with each bite that I wouldn't break a bracket. I successfully finished the bar, but decided the guilt while eating it wasn't worth risking it again. I really miss eating raw carrots. Gum, sticky candy and all that other good stuff I gave up long ago for fear I'd pull out a filling or other dental work (which I once did with a chewy cough drop at a wedding - no fun).

ellen

#14 Post by ellen »

I was eating a hard, crunchy granola-type bar this past weekend and praying with each bite that I wouldn't break a bracket. I successfully finished the bar, but decided the guilt while eating it wasn't worth risking it again. I really miss eating raw carrots. Gum, sticky candy and all that other good stuff I gave up long ago for fear I'd pull out a filling or other dental work (which I once did with a chewy cough drop at a wedding - no fun).

sarahlynn

#15 Post by sarahlynn »

I'm grateful to read what kinds of foods might not go well with braces - less than 24 hours now til mine go on and right now I'm eating a pasta salad with tons of pesto, for the very reason that I knew I had better eat it while I can still clean my mouth easily. Tonight I'm also having my husband take me out for Chinese - can't imagine that I'll be doing that in the near future :lol: