GUM OVER MOLAR BANDS

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LITTLEMA

GUM OVER MOLAR BANDS

#1 Post by LITTLEMA »

SORRY, I know this has been posted before.
But I couldn't find it.

I was examining my braces as normal, and realized my gums are growing over the molar bands.... is this normal?

What happens in 2 years when my braces are removed. Will I have floppy gums??!
x0x0LITTLEMA

i814u2c

#2 Post by i814u2c »

My braces have been on for 4 years 7 months and 1 week and come off tomorrow. I can't remember when I last saw the molar bands. I know they are still there but the gums have grown over them. My ortho says that is normal and that I have really small teeth and not to worry.
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

Andromeda

#3 Post by Andromeda »

I don't know about the molar bands because I didn't have them, just had regular brackets on all my teeth. But my gums swelled alot during braces and when I got them off today, the ortho said they had swollen up over some of the glue/cement that was holding the brackets on so he couldn't get it all off without cutting up my gums. I was told that the swellling would go down (if not be totally gone) within a week or two from now. He said not to get a dental cleaning yet and and at my first retainer check the ortho will be able to get the rest of the glue off.

I would assume it would be the same with the molar bands - probably will be swollen in that are when they come off but will heal up eventually.

LITTLEMA

#4 Post by LITTLEMA »

i814u2c - 4 YEARS?! WOW. I bet you sure are excited for next week. Thanks for answering me. and good to know it's normal. Let me know how it is next week when they come off. =]
x0x0LITTLEMA

charlsie142

#5 Post by charlsie142 »

I know when I had braces the first time when I was much younger my gums swelled over my molar bands. And add that to less than perfect cleaning habits, and surprisingly, I was normal after having them removed. :) For some reason this time I only have a few molar bands and so far they are still visible..strange.

UGHBRACES

#6 Post by UGHBRACES »

Your molar bands disappeared under a flap of gums :o .

Glad mine still look the exact same after 8 months now.

Takako

#7 Post by Takako »

Same thing is happening to me, though it's only when that part of my gum really swells up. It's fine. From some "right after" photos I've seen of people with bands, it is clear on some of them that their gums from this area are red from the debanding, so this is a pretty frequent condition and nothing to worry about :)