Need extractions arghh... aesthetic issue? narrow arch?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AshJP

Need extractions arghh... aesthetic issue? narrow arch?

#1 Post by AshJP »

Hi guys!

I'm hoping to get braced in the summer with the mystique ceramic braces, and I have been told I need 3 extractions due to crowding! That is, I need my first pre-molar out each side, and one lower molar (not sure which one)

My teeth aren't terribly bad, but I am getting braces as I aspire to have the ultimate Hollywood smile.

For example, I really like Tom Cruise's smile as it's very toothy, if that's how you would describe it? It's natural and he shows all of his teeth.

Atm my front row of teeth are quite prominent and all I want really is to push them back and straighten them out a little.

I am worried that with these extractions I will get a really narrow arch and be a million miles away from getting my ideal smile :(

Do extractions always give people a noticeable narrower arch/smile?

:( x

lav1

#2 Post by lav1 »

Some people do need extractions and it can bring the mouth inward (more of a straight or concave profile), but not necessarily. I would go get a second and third consult from different orthos especially when it comes to extractions and see what they have to say. It might be something completely different! Good luck!

socksy

#3 Post by socksy »

I think you should definitely get some more opinions. I went on five consultations before deciding on my orthodontist. Each consult recommended a different treatment plan and I had to decide which I was most comfortable with. One of my consults recommended extractions but I really wanted to keep all my teeth. I'm glad I got a number of opinions before making up my mind because I'm loving my results so far.

clear Radiance brackets top and bottom

anniev2

#4 Post by anniev2 »

don't get extractsion. Period. I regret it and it you like the way your teeth are prominent you'll hate them. I do. Sorry to be so point blank but i wish someone had told me.
ABOUT ME:
  • IBraces, had braces in high school
  • Concerns: primary: upper overjet (malocclusion), secondary: lower crowding
  • Applied: Jan 2008
  • Removed: Jan 2010
  • Extractions: 4 pre-molars
  • TADs: to be applied Nov 11, 2008
    (status as of 10/1/2008)

ellen

#5 Post by ellen »

can the ortho file the sides of your teeth to give you more room? That's what my ortho will be doing, instead of extracting a tooth. Get a second or third opinion, even if you have to pay for each consult. It's a drop in the bucket given the cost of braces, and you'll be more comfortable knowing all of your options.

AshJP

#6 Post by AshJP »

arghhh decisions!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2jfxc81&s=5

that is my smile at the moment. I like the fact that when I smile all my teeth show, and when the front are straightened I hope to have an even more toothier smile, if ya like.

I don't want extractions gahh

Audra

#7 Post by Audra »

I think you have a great smile, and if I were you, I would not want extractions either. Try to find another ortho who will fix your issues without extractions if you can. Or at least get some second opinions to see if it is really necessary.