Who else never had spacers or molar bands?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kristiana

Who else never had spacers or molar bands?

#1 Post by Kristiana »

When I first came here, I was surprised at how many of you got spacers and molar bands, because I'd never had either!

Who else never had them? Why does the orthodontist decide to give them to some people and not to others?

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

I never had spacers or molar bands either.

I don't know why some orthos do and some don't. I know that sometimes brackets don't adhere to teeth that have been "capped"(sorry, I can't remember the correct term) so they band those teeth but it seems some orthos used molar bands no matter what. I'm guessing it's a preference for most of them...not really sure.

I'll just say, that from the posts on here about how much spacers hurt, I'm glad I didn't get them :shock: . Kudos to all you brace wearers who have had to endure them!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Andromeda

#3 Post by Andromeda »

Hi - I never had them either and I also got curious about the same thing. I did a post on it a little while ago and a bunch of people answered. You can look at it here:

viewtopic.php?t=29930&highlight=molar+bands

beachbum

#4 Post by beachbum »

I had/have them both. Image

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#5 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I have never had either of those as well, but i symphasize with all the people that have had them or have them presently!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

electrokitty

#6 Post by electrokitty »

No, I never had them either, just straight on with the brackets.

They sound like they hurt!!!

Briggsy

Re: Who else never had spacers or molar bands?

#7 Post by Briggsy »

Kristiana wrote:When I first came here, I was surprised at how many of you got spacers and molar bands, because I'd never had either!

Who else never had them? Why does the orthodontist decide to give them to some people and not to others?

Nope.. I;ve not had them (not as yet anyway). And they were never mentioned at the consultation either... so fingers crossed...

lwyrwood

#8 Post by lwyrwood »

I thought I was lucky when my ortho didnt mention spacers or molar bands during my consult or records appt. I actually thought I had dodged a major bullet... Well, that didn't last long. The day I got braced (last Friday!), I was informed that I would be getting spacers at my next appt and then a week later molar bands!!! :(

I thought you got those before being braced. Apparently not. I was too shocked to even ask why I need them and why after getting braced. I will be sure to ask next time. Unfortunately I am dreading my next appt. Luckily its not until July 22nd. Seems like a long ways away, but I'm not complaining.

Kristiana

#9 Post by Kristiana »

Andromeda wrote:Hi - I never had them either and I also got curious about the same thing. I did a post on it a little while ago and a bunch of people answered. You can look at it here:

viewtopic.php?t=29930&highlight=molar+bands
Oops, haha. I hadn't seen any threads like this before, but I'm glad you pointed me to one!

Thanks for answering, everyone :)

browneyedgrl

#10 Post by browneyedgrl »

I had spacers when I had braces in 1981 and I only had bands on my molars. This time no spacers, I just have molar tubes on my molars, the only concern was that I have a a crown on my lowers, but I haven't a any issues at all.

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]