Adjustments???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

magster

Adjustments???

#1 Post by magster »

I posted something about this before but ---

My first adjustment was 6 weeks after I got my braces
now my second adjustment is scheduled 3 weeks after my first one?

is this a good thing? or just plain normal?
I was thinking there should be an average of 4-5 weeks in between adjustments.

any thoughts ideas are welcome :D
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

That is pretty quick. Then again, it seems like there are wild variations in adjustment frequencies based on other posts that I've read. So there's really no such thing as "normal", just "normal for your ortho". The only thing I can think of is: Are they keeping a close watch on something? Perhaps they don't want something to over-correct or they think whatever problem they are addressing will be corrected in 3 weeks therefore want you back then.
I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

sisi

#3 Post by sisi »

Hi magster

My ortho prefers 2 month appointments. I have no idea whether that is good or not. I can't help thinking it would be better to see her sooner...

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#4 Post by blindboarder2008 »

sisi wrote:Hi magster

My ortho prefers 2 month appointments. I have no idea whether that is good or not. I can't help thinking it would be better to see her sooner...
how long have you had your braces sisi? I can remember at the beginning of my braces treatment I would go see the ortho every 8 weeks so your not the only one. It seems now that I've been seeing them between 4 to 6 weeks now but I think that might be because a: getting ready for jaw surgery and b: getting closer to end of treatment.
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Andromeda

#5 Post by Andromeda »

I think it depends on what they want to do and how long they think it will take your teeth to get there. Maybe they make an adjustment for one tooth and they think "oh this will take a while" so they give it about 6 weeks. Then maybe they need to get something else in line but only a smaller movement is needed because it is already pretty close to where they want it but not quite, so 3 weeks will be enough time for it to happen. I have had appointments with 8 weeks between and appointments with 2 weeks between.

magster

#6 Post by magster »

Well I just hope that they arent always 3 weeks apart.. I was told I pay them monthly lol and I dont need it to turn into 2x per month because then I'll be broke.

I STILL HATE MY BRACES :(

opera^gal

#7 Post by opera^gal »

Mine are every 4 wks, unless of weather <had a blizzard one week> or if the doc is away.
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

I love my teeth

#8 Post by I love my teeth »

got my braces on may 14, first adjustment was supposed to be in 6 weeks, but I am on vacation, so the receptionist gave me the option to do it before I go, or after. Since It's a 2 week, vacation that would be 8 weeks, so I decided to do it before..........so it will be 5 weeks. The adjustment is june 18, just 3 days before we leave for a 2 week camping trip.........hoping I will be OK!!

Anyone have experience with a Nance device (TPA)? They made one for me to be put in when my braces went on, but lab left an overhanging piece of metal and I couldn't wear it, ortho said he will have it remade, hoping it doesn't go in right before vacation, I had it in for 5min at the office and it was not comfortable!! Experiences, anyone??

electrokitty

#9 Post by electrokitty »

My adjustments really vary depending on what my ortho is expecting to happen.

My first one was at 6 weeks then my 2nd was 4 weeks later, so pretty similar to yours, Magster.
Then I had another one after 4 weeks and the rest have been 8 weeks apart, which is a killer because it feels like nothing is happening for AGES!

magster

#10 Post by magster »

Well I've been braced for a month and 2 weeks almost and I still feel like nothing is happening lol..

the first few days funky spaces were created now they're not there anymore?

teeth dont hurt... so i feel like NOTHING IS HAPPENING Im sure it is at its own little slow turtle pace.

blindboarder2008

#11 Post by blindboarder2008 »

have you taken any pictures yet magster? ya I'm sure there is stuff slowly happening. You might be able to see if you have taken pictures of them cause then you can compare them. best of luck and hang in there:)
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

blindboarder2008

#12 Post by blindboarder2008 »

have you taken any pictures yet magster? ya I'm sure there is stuff slowly happening. You might be able to see if you have taken pictures of them cause then you can compare them. best of luck and hang in there:)

invertigofreak

#13 Post by invertigofreak »

My adjustments have all been around the 8 week mark. I am almost 6 months into treatment :D

Wow that has gone fast!

Takako

#14 Post by Takako »

My teeth haven't hurt for weeks but they're still moving!! My first wait was 8 weeks and this time it was 6 (my next adj is next week). I read on another topic that anywhere from 2-12 weeks is normal!

allisun

#15 Post by allisun »

Well I just hope that they arent always 3 weeks apart.. I was told I pay them monthly lol and I dont need it to turn into 2x per month because then I'll be broke.
You should still be paying them monthly regardless of how frequent your appointments are. I've never heard of anyone having to pay for each adjustment... that would be really sketchy!