What is a "monkey box" elastics configuration for?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

uncdl

What is a "monkey box" elastics configuration for?

#1 Post by uncdl »

I tried to search for the term "monkey box" and it came back with ALL kinds of posts that had the word box in it SO, I'm asking (quite possibly in repeat of someone else - Sorry!) what does a monkey box configuration of elastics do? The assistant made the motions of a square box in the front of your teeth. I don't have this, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm headed that way... :roll:

Thanks!
Ceramics on top on 4/03/08
Metal on bottom on 4/03/08

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

Im assuming the word monkey is the size elastic they would use. Many orthos use elastics that differentiate between sizes by naming each kind a different animal name. I think its probably for kids so they remember it easier. Monkey elastics would have a specific weight/thickness of the band and a specific diameter. Some are stronger and some are lighter and more stretcht.

The box formation means you hook the elastic onto your top teeth and then onto the bottom teth in the shape of a box. If you google "box elastics" and search for images, you will see pictures of what it looks like.

Hope that helps!

Audra

#3 Post by Audra »

This site has pics and explanations. I agree that the "monkey" would be the type (strength) of elastics. I wear fox elastics.

http://www.get-it-straight.com/rubber-bands.html

Lela

#4 Post by Lela »

That's a handy link Audra, thanks! I now know I've been wearing a variation of the short classII configuration. :D

My elastics don't have cute animal names :( Just boring old "medium" or "heavy".
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

Andromeda

#5 Post by Andromeda »

Yea mine actually have the names of countries. So far I've only worn Switzerland which is heavy, and Thailand which is super heavy.

electrokitty

#6 Post by electrokitty »

Mine are named after fruits... I have had apple and now raspberry.

At first when my ortho gave me the bag I thought they might be flavoured but they aren't!

Andromeda

#7 Post by Andromeda »

Haha I think they do make flavored ones! I've read about them but I can't imagine they keep their flavor for very long. Probably like a stick of chewing gum.

uncdl

#8 Post by uncdl »

I have to say, when I was putting in my elastics today, I couldn't help but think: Yum, rubberband taste... :roll:
Ceramics on top on 4/03/08
Metal on bottom on 4/03/08

allisun

#9 Post by allisun »

I had the box configuration, plus class II elastics on either side. It was really not that bad, even when I was on my first-ever overseas vacation. Like everything else braces-related, I had a split second reaction of horror when I first saw them on, but really... they do work fast and I got over it quickly.

Up until recently I only had elastics with color names on the bags, but recently I got Ostriches! :lol:

Good luck with your monkey box!