Spring coil question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zephyr

Spring coil question

#1 Post by Zephyr »

Hi Everyone, I had my first adjustment yesterday. I had my lighter wire on my upper teeth replaced with a thicker wire and spring coils from each of my front teeth to each canine and also from each canine to my back teeth just before my brackets. So 4 coils in total - hope that made sense! Anyway, I have them on to create space to allow the teeth either side of my front teeth to move out. I was just wondering if anyone else wore coils to create gaps and if so how long did it take to notice any movement with them! Thanks! :D

staceyr2

#2 Post by staceyr2 »

Sorry. I have had springs in several times, including now, but mine are to pull the front teeth back to close gaps. Not sure if its working too good though, one side I think the molars are coming forward (Ah-gain). :roll:
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

Megan11

#3 Post by Megan11 »

Hi, I had two spring coils to create gaps on both sides of my upper arch. I only wore them for the length of 1 adjustment, which was about 6-8 weeks. I can't remember if I noticed movement or not being that it was about 7 months ago or so, but since I wore them for only 6-8 weeks I am assuming they worked pretty good.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Jenny5

#4 Post by Jenny5 »

I wore one spring for probably about 6 months, but I needed A LOT of space. I opted not to get teeth pulled and had one tooth that was basically behind the teeth on either side of it with only a small gap to squeeze into. The spring was kind of a pain to wear for so long, but it worked! Just depends on how much space you need, but you should start seeing a difference very soon. I could see and feel my spring working almost immediately.

Zephyr

#5 Post by Zephyr »

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it!

I think I answered my own question just a minute ago, I felt like a twitch/click in my mouth near my left lateral incisor so I prodded it with my tongue and it felt really loose. I just checked in the bathroom mirror and it definitely has moved into whatever space the springs have opened for it! Can't believe it moved so much in 1 day! Also really scared cos it feels super loose, like I can move it back and forth with my fingers, it's very wobbly - should I ring my ortho or is this normal? :?:

Sorry for all the questions!

markGl

#6 Post by markGl »

yea a wobbly tooth is fine ( if anything the braces help keep it from falling out, not that it would.. so no worrys about that) and its cool to know someone has the same coil arrangement i did and for me i had to wear them all the way up till last adjustment..

Zephyr

#7 Post by Zephyr »

Thanks markGI - good to know someone else went thru the same arrangement as me! The loose tooth isn't connected to the wire yet, it has a bracket but the coils are creating space so it can move forward which it seems to be donig. It's not as loose today so no more panicking! :lol:

staceyr2

#8 Post by staceyr2 »

Loose teeth is totally normal. They can't move if they aren't loose. For a while all of my teeth felt like piano keys, some still do. I have even had nightmares of the wonderful day when I finally get my braces off, and as they take the brackets off, my teeth fall out! Freaky!!! But I know that won't happen, at least I hope not!
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both