I know they're on the no-no list but I know someone did it!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

acidcookie

I know they're on the no-no list but I know someone did it!

#1 Post by acidcookie »

Since I've gotten my braces, I've been good about avoiding the "bad foods", but I REALLY miss popcorn and gum.

My cousin just got braces and was chewing gum the other day. She said her ortho even recommended it to help her teeth feel less sore.

Has anyone chewed gum or eaten popcorn? Did the world end or worse? A bracket pop off?

changes09

#2 Post by changes09 »

I am always chewing gum! Popcorn...not so much. THe curnals get stuck in my gums and hurt's so bad

classII

#3 Post by classII »

Early on when on a very light wire, I too read about popcorn being taboo. Curiosity got the better of me and although very careful, I managed to dislodge the wire from the molar bracket. The wire's so flimsy and the popcorn simply unbendable, when the two made even the gentlest contact the popcorn won. That after even sucking the popcorn, aiming breaking it by chewing it between two teeth etc. One decent sized piece if it hitting the wire, before you know it, it's either dislodged or badly bent.

Don't chew gum :( or should that be :D so don't know about it.

Andromeda

#4 Post by Andromeda »

I eat popcorn all the time. I've never had anything gets stuck or anything break. I just chew carefully and try to feel if the popcorn piece has a hard kernel in it and if it does, then I chew around it and then spit it out like the seeds in a watermelon. I haven't tried gum.

tingrin in OR

#5 Post by tingrin in OR »

I have chewed gum.....sugar free of course and did not have any problems!

opera^gal

#6 Post by opera^gal »

Sugar-free gum 'Freedent' that doesn't stick to dental work
Had popcorn for the first time on Friday last, one kernal at a time
2/2/09: metal braces T/B
8/20/10: braced removed (18mons, 18days), hawley retainers T/B
9/16/10: LR central incisor extracted (failed root canal)
2/23/11: implant/bone graft
9/15/11: implant crown placed, lower lingual bonding corrected
9/21/11: upper bonding on lateral gaps from upper arch forward advancement
10/17/11: new hawley retainers w/plastic tubing over the 'social six' wire, both T/B

HeatherRenae88

#7 Post by HeatherRenae88 »

I've had my braces for a little over 3 months now, and at the beginning of this journey I didn't think that I would ever be able to eat hardly anything. However, at this point I eat pretty much anything I want. I haven't broken a bracket yet, and I honestly eat popcorn almost every night. I eat steak, salads, chips, whatever. I also chew Freedent gum. I will not eat anything with nuts though, of course. At the end of this journey, I want a Snicker's bar!!! Ha ha. =)

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I eat pocorn and have had little problems with it, you just gotta make sure to clean your teeth after really good and it seems to be fine:D, I haven't had gum yet but I really really am missing gum, I will have to look for that gum, freedent gum that people were mentioning up above!!!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

lovelyleo

#9 Post by lovelyleo »

Here is a list of things I have eaten that are on the "No No" list:

Peanut M&Ms
Snickers
Orbit Sugar Free Gum
Popcorn
Hard Taco Shells
Tortilla Chips
Thin Crust Pizza
Ice (small pieces)

To this day (knock on wood) I have not broken a bracket or dislodged a wire. The trick is eat carefully & slowly. Popcorn & Snickers seem to get stuck the most between brackets. Even when I brush/floss I seem to find pieces days after. Eat @ your own risk. My ortho contact let's me replace 4 brackets for free and then they charge for the rest.

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

Zeppguy73

#10 Post by Zeppguy73 »

I too have eaten everything from the "banned list" of foods. Frankly, never had any problems. Popcorn can be a little annoying at times, but nothing too big. I chew gum everyday, but I always choose sugar free, and have had no problems with sticking whatsoever.

acidcookie

#11 Post by acidcookie »

Hmm, thanks for all the pointers! I may wait until my next adjustment. IF the ortho puts my uppers on a stronger wire.

My lowers got a thicker wire during my adjustment on Friday. Guess that means things are progressing.

In the mean time, I'm getting Freedent ASAP ;)

pearls

#12 Post by pearls »

I've eaten all sorts of things. Really, the only things I haven't eaten are the things I physically cannot eat e.g. bite an apple, or eat corn on the cob. I've eaten popcorn, gum, mintees, corn chips, soft drink, fantales, you name it, I've mostly had it.

But saying that, I do eat them carefully. I'd chew around the kernals of the popcorn, suck on the mintees, and try to drink water following having soft drink.

Hopefully I get them off next Tuesday (even though I'm not 100% happy with them :( ) and I can eat anything I want!! YIPPEEE right in time for my holiday to America!!

Pearls.
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

sdawdy

#13 Post by sdawdy »

I have pretty much eaten everything on the no-no list...including corn on the cob. It was not as much as a problem eating it as it was cleaning it all up....I had ribs on the bone and corn on the cob that night.....teeth cleaning took forever!!!!! I should have taken a picture....it was a mess there was food everywhere! My husband was laughing uncontrollably :D

SD

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#14 Post by blindboarder2008 »

lol you had ribs and corn on the cob the day you got your braces? sorry slighty confused lol
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

saycheeese

#15 Post by saycheeese »

Yep I've had popcorn, I havn't had gum but thats only because I don't like gum, actually I still eat pretty much anything I want :D if you're careful then it should be all good :wink: