Male Adult getting braces - impact on single life??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Stew Bear

Re: Male Adult getting braces - impact on single life??

#46 Post by Stew Bear »

So the OP is back... and sans braces for less than 24 hours!

Some of you have agreed with my "before braces" concerns, others canned them.

I think it is true that everyone emotionally/mentally will experience this stuff different! And it depends what stage of your life you're in as well.

I have been in a relationship the entire time I've had braces, so in the end my worries didn't matter so much...

But you know what, in retrospect, it definitely would've had more impact on me if I were single. Early on, just talking to girls in a social setting, you could see *some* look at your mouth and raise an eyebrow as in "really? as if I'd be interested in a guy with braces!", and sort of dismiss you - and this was me just trying to be friendly as I wasn't single. Of course not everyone did this, a lot of people didn't care at all and my confidence generally on this front grew.

And it's fine to say the bad eggs like the example above are "not worth having in your life", but the way they treat you is still a dent to the ego! If I were single, I know it wouldn't have stopped me trying to meet people, but it would be in the back of my mind.

Maybe a couple of perceived rejections and depending on the scenario, you might wrongly/rightly attribute braces as a factor, then in your own mind it becomes a bigger issue... which means you start holding back, lowering your confidence etc. I can see how it could be a huge issue for some people, and no problem at all for others. Water off a ducks back for some, big issue for others!

But in the end I still would've got the braces for sure, it just might have been a few unhappy moments had I been single. Unless you just want to be "single" single, that might be a different story.

Off topic I know, but overall, braces were not a problem for me physically - that includes the jaw surgery too. Ate what I wanted, keeping clean was easy, for the most part they "weren't there" and never a problem. Only thing that hurt were these little teeth spacers I had to have for a few days to make space for the jaw expander, that was agony. But the retainer (a Hawley), I hate these things way more than I ever could braces I think... hated them as a kid, hate them now. 1 year to go until it becomes a night time only thing.

ams288

#47 Post by ams288 »

I'm also a single 24 year old male in the process of getting braces. I definitely worry that braces will affect my social game. But I feel that they can't be any worse than having crooked teeth and a massive underbite, right?

ArchWired28

#48 Post by ArchWired28 »

ams288
right (in my opinion). I am a married woman but when I see people (especially men) with a major malocclusion, I can't help but wonder why don't they do anything about it? Like Michael Phelps, he has a MAJOR malocclusion (I don't even know what it is, looks like an underbite and a crossbite to me) and most definitely he can afford any treatment, but choses not to. Why? Either it does not bother him, or he decided against invasive treatment (almost certain he needs a surgery).
The bottom line: don't worry. Braces per se would not affect your social life (although if you already have certain so to speak "pre-existing" issues it might aggravate them). In the worst case scenario, you are only going to be braced for a year or 2, seems like a long time but it will fly super fast! In the meantime, try to think of your future smile and stay positive! :D
Had full mouth metal braces for 21 months. Debonded April 2013. Now wearing clear plastic retainers every other night.

I have no formal dental or orthodontic education. Hence, all opinions expressed by me on this forum are those of an "informed consumer" and by no means intended as an expert advice.

EbonyQ

#49 Post by EbonyQ »

What about us single girls? :-* We have a pressure to look beautiful and that is not always easy with braces :GapToothed: I'm 23 so I'm past the "normal" age for braces and since I'm a bit shy I have not dated anyone since I got them (have not had the chance 8) ).

Don't think you guys need to be afraid of the impact of having braces. If you don't make a big deal out of it, usally others won't :D

[/url]

Stew Bear

#50 Post by Stew Bear »

@ams288 - if you feel you've got big issues to address, then just do it, as will definitely help.

If it wasn't so serious, I'd be 50/50. Braces were an optional for me (more back teeth related), but I figured I want to meet someone for a relationship so they could just get over it. And I ended up meeting someone before they went on anyway.

I think if you wanted to be a total player though and it was about picking up and mucking around for a few years while young (rather than meeting someone to settle), you wouldn't get braces - *provided* you could get away with it and was nothing serious that needs addressing. Would definitely cramp your style if you were out to play the field IMO, wouldn't be the worst, but would still have an effect. Save it for later once you're out of that stage if this is the case.

@EbonyQ - may be a slight difference between the sexes, but guys as a whole don't care if a lady has braces - quizzed a lot of mates on this. They're just glad to be talking/flirting/kissing whatever with a girl in the first place haha, they look past the braces to check out everything else (personality too), and they know they're only temporary.

Treatment of the sexes with braces by the opposite sex could be different perhaps??

Jerseygirl

#51 Post by Jerseygirl »

ArchWired28 wrote:ams288
right (in my opinion). I am a married woman but when I see people (especially men) with a major malocclusion, I can't help but wonder why don't they do anything about it? Like Michael Phelps, he has a MAJOR malocclusion (I don't even know what it is, looks like an underbite and a crossbite to me) and most definitely he can afford any treatment, but choses not to. Why? Either it does not bother him, or he decided against invasive treatment (almost certain he needs a surgery).
The bottom line: don't worry. Braces per se would not affect your social life (although if you already have certain so to speak "pre-existing" issues it might aggravate them). In the worst case scenario, you are only going to be braced for a year or 2, seems like a long time but it will fly super fast! In the meantime, try to think of your future smile and stay positive! :D
Michael Phelps - thought the EXACT same thing the other night when watching him be interviewed and wondered why he never had it corrected. It is extremely obvious and goes beyond just crooked teeth for sure. Maybe at one point he didn't have the means, but now - after winning olympic gold metals, I'd imagine he certainly does. From a health standpoint - hopefully he will have this taken care of sooner than later.

Ceramic uppers and metal lowers
Estimated treatment time: 12-14 months

plugnickel69

#52 Post by plugnickel69 »

Michael Phelps did wear braces as a teenager. One of his sisters looks like she could use them again. His mother, Debbie, just got "new teeth." I assume veneers.

kennyandrew85

#53 Post by kennyandrew85 »

Michael Phelps would sink if he started adding metal to his frame :-)
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

pewpew

#54 Post by pewpew »

flower this thread hit me right in the nuts! So much of the thoughts I been going through this summer.
I went to the orthodontist beginning of the summer, because I wanted to hear about my slights crookedness of top teeth's, which obv im the only one to ever notice.
Even my best friend was like "what" when I told him I'm considering braces. I figured it could not take to long, very slights crookedness.
Obviously hoping for Invisalign, but it turns out I have a pretty big overbite, so the penalty was 1,5-2 years regular/ceramic braces.

Which left my head spinning, I know I want to do it, and im not starting uni. intil next year, but I enjoy going out, dating and so on, and is actually quite pleased with my self, I even like my smile, but I wouldent mind the perfect smile.
I don't think I ever seen any adults with braces here in Norway, im very soon 25, and will probly spend my birthday in prison. (braces, which is depressing)
But man, obv now that I thought about it so much im very unpleased with my teeth's. And it would fix my profile I would think.

I guess im hoping you guys to tell me to grow a pair, and that it will all be okey! (which it wont!)

/end rant

pewpew

#55 Post by pewpew »

I like how they censured the first word off my reply with flower.
Hi btw, soon to be fellow prison mates!

CoryDaniels

#56 Post by CoryDaniels »

I know that this post is a little late but let me tell you something. I was 23 when I got my braces. I did get the damon clears. I was worried that I would be in a similar situation, even though I have a girlfriend and still do. I was worried what other people would say....I have gotten more compliments on myself than I ever have before...I think once you get braces and you start to see the changes, it automatically give you a level of confidence you have never had and people see that. Damons have widened my smile and people notice that and I have girls all the time tell me that I have a beautiful smile even with the braces on.....I think, no matter how old you are, there is a level of "cuteness" that goes along with having braces.
Honestly...do not even worry about it. You are doing something to better yourself....my only advice to you is...don't wait...get them NOW! (if everything is in order for you to get them)

ca214

#57 Post by ca214 »

CoryDaniels wrote:I know that this post is a little late but let me tell you something. I was 23 when I got my braces. I did get the damon clears. I was worried that I would be in a similar situation, even though I have a girlfriend and still do. I was worried what other people would say....I have gotten more compliments on myself than I ever have before...I think once you get braces and you start to see the changes, it automatically give you a level of confidence you have never had and people see that. Damons have widened my smile and people notice that and I have girls all the time tell me that I have a beautiful smile even with the braces on.....I think, no matter how old you are, there is a level of "cuteness" that goes along with having braces.
Honestly...do not even worry about it. You are doing something to better yourself....my only advice to you is...don't wait...get them NOW! (if everything is in order for you to get them)
I'd second this. I've now been in braces (ceramic uppers for now) for 2 months, and i've had nothing but positive comments from people. I'm a few years older, and just wish i had done this earlier.

On the relationship front, I was single when I was making plans to get braces. Then had just started seeing someone when I got them put on, and she has been very supportive of the whole thing.

C
32 yr old guy from Boston

Upper Ceramics on 6/19/12
Lower Ceramics on 3/25/13
Braces off on 9/23/14

Original estimate of 16 months treatment time - ended up at 27 months.

Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42423

Kipepeo

#58 Post by Kipepeo »

ca214 wrote: I'd second this. I've now been in braces (ceramic uppers for now) for 2 months, and i've had nothing but positive comments from people. I'm a few years older, and just wish i had done this earlier.

On the relationship front, I was single when I was making plans to get braces. Then had just started seeing someone when I got them put on, and she has been very supportive of the whole thing.

C
CA214- I was going to comment on your previous post, but since you replied again...
I'm assuming your profile photo is of your smile. It already looks very nice! I can only imagine how awesome it will be when you're done.

I'm much older than 20's or 30's, and I haven't been single for awhile, and I'm female, but I would be impressed if a guy I met and was interested in had braces, simply for the fact that he is improving himself. To me this is the same as noticing that he is fit and works out, or makes healthy food choices. Braces are so temporary in the grand scheme of things, and that's how I feel about them. (You may experience them more than once though, sigh!) Besides, braces can make for some, uh, interesting personal encounters. Being young at heart, I would find this to keep it fresh and interesting.

fosterp

#59 Post by fosterp »

It probably hurts your confidence early on...but after having these things for two and a half years (and probably expecting another 6 months) I would say that I look better with straight teeth and brackets than I did unbraced with crooked teeth. But my teeth were "really" bad.

So...i'd say for 80% of women your attitude towards your braces are going to determine whether they are a factor. If you act all embarrassed about them and lack confidence...well yeah they are going to be a detriment. The other 20% I won't lie will probably next you because of the braces. It is just the world we live in.

cavomington

#60 Post by cavomington »

One month after getting braces I ended up getting a girlfriend despite the fact that I'm really shy I don't really have any past relationships. I'm really conscious of them and try to hide them, but I think if you take care of yourself girls won't care or even view it as a plus