HELPP!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Megan11

HELPP!!

#1 Post by Megan11 »

I had an adjustment on Tue and the I had a pokey wire so I went in today got it clipped and now my BRACKET FELL OFF near where they clipped the wire.

My ortho is closed right now and they are not open on Fridays. What should I do?

I am so over ALL of this, I fear I may go in there an tell them Im done just get them off of!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Andromeda

#2 Post by Andromeda »

Do they have an emergency number? I think this is fairly common so don't worry. I know its a pain and can be discouraging but stick with it. Good luck!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#3 Post by blindboarder2008 »

sorry to hear that your bracket fell off, this happened to me a few weeks ago. However the only thing different was i didn't go in due to the pokey wire. Which tooth did the bracket fall off? The way you described about the pokey wire i'm assuming it was one of the back teeth. salt water rinse constantly and see if you can find your ortho emergency number. If you can't find it, call them first thing tomorrow morning to see what they suggest. hang in there!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Megan11

#4 Post by Megan11 »

Sorry about the freak out I have had a hard braces week but am feeling slightly better now.

The bracket that fell off is the last molar on top arch.

My question is, are my braces still working since the bracket that fell off was the last one?

And how does the emergency phone number work? Is it a straight connect to the doctor?

I am still thinking about switching to invisalign at month 9 but this will prolong my treatment and cost me an extra 2 g's.

I was hoping to get my braces off August or Sept, but my ortho said it's looking like Christmas and I DO NOT WANT to go back to college for my junior year as tingrin again.

I know I am being shallow and irrational but ugh it's nice to just get this off my chest because my friends and fam are SO OVER hearing it lol, they just don't understand.

:twisted:

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

sdawdy

#5 Post by sdawdy »

it depends on what is currently going on with your treatment. If they are working on something with your molars then yes it can affect your treatment. However, if nothing is currently being done with you molars they may just have you wait until you next appointment to come in and fix it.

The emergency number is usually (at my ortho anyways) a very experienced assistant that can make a decision on should you come in or can it wait.

blindboarder2008

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

when my bracket fell off in the back, i came on here and asked a question about the exact same thing. I was told by a few people on here that since its at the very back the movement would be really slow and so not to worry to much but definetly try to get into the office asap just cause I know from experience that a poking wire can be a nuissance. It could also possibly cut up your cheek pretty good as well. I used the salt rinse constantly when this happened to me and my cheeks survived fairly well during the night but I was definetly a happy camper once they bracket was bonded on there again and the pesky wire stopped poking.

The emergency number at my ortho office is a direct link to my ortho cell phone that he has on him all the time.
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Megan11

#7 Post by Megan11 »

So i just talked to some lady at my ortho and she acted like it wasn't a big deal at all :cry:

She was like try to find something to clip the wires and if you cant clip it come in on monday and we will clip it for you and then add more time to your upcoming adjustment to bond the bracket back?

Dose this seem right to yall? I do not want to slow my treatment at all and not having a bracket in for a whole month is totally freaking me out....

bahhh.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

hal2me

#8 Post by hal2me »

Hi Megan,

This happened to me right before I went on vacation. The bracket on my last molar fell off. They had me come in the office and clipped the wire. I was like that for two weeks until my adjustment. The only downfall is now I have to have my molar braced next week and have a dreadful spacer at the moment. My bottom teeth are really bad, so the ortho thought it was best to replace the bracket with the molar band.

I wouldn't worry if it was the very last bracket. If it were a front one, I'd say get in right away. If they didn't seem concerned when you called, don't worry. Everything will be okay!

Were you able to clip the wire? Nail clippers do not work. Get some wire cutters at a craft store. This is from experience! :lol:

Don't stress! It will be okay!

Megan11

#9 Post by Megan11 »

blindboarder2008 wrote:when my bracket fell off in the back, i came on here and asked a question about the exact same thing. I was told by a few people on here that since its at the very back the movement would be really slow and so not to worry to much.
Thanks blindboarder!
When you say the movement would be slow do you mean the tooth relapsing or the overall movement of all of my teeth with the bracket missing?

Sorry I am still confused as to if my braces are still actually "activated" with that missing bracket. I was under the impression that the last bracket kind of held the wire tightly in place but I could be really wrong.

I am still kind of pissed that I have to wait a month to fix it when I am paying 6000 dollars ya know...

hal2me wrote: Were you able to clip the wire? Nail clippers do not work. Get some wire cutters at a craft store. This is from experience! :lol:

Don't stress! It will be okay!
Hi Hal!
No I haven't touched it knowing me I'll slip and clip off my tongue haha...but really.

I am just going to wait till monday and get it clipped that way I can be like so how bout we just put that bracket on now lol. Besides I talked to their marketing person on the phone so I don't feel all that reassured.

But, anyways thanks so much for the replies, so glad to have people to "brace talk" with!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

uvraise

#10 Post by uvraise »

Megan,
I just went through this with both of my boys. All three of us are braced. The nail clippers DO WORK! My youngest had his arch wire pull out from his his lowers. Each time I cut the wire back, a bracket came with it. I ended up pulling off 5 brackets off his lowers! The ortho said to wait until his next appt., it was over a week later, so I wouldn't worry about your time line or your teeth suffering. I would try to cut the wire if it's poking you. Your other option is to WAX it in place until you can see your ortho. Hope this helps!
JOHN

blindboarder2008

#11 Post by blindboarder2008 »

relapse movement: it would take some time for it to do this cause its a back tooth. I would assume your brackets would still be actived unless the wire came out of the entire teeth but you said it only came out of one so you should be fine. so you should be fine.

in terms of waxing the wire, i tried to do that and it doesn't work so well, at least it didnt for me.. lol you may have better luck. When i went in the next day I did mention that to the ortho and the assistant that was there and they both said that its really hard to wax a wire. Someone suggested maybe using a bandaid sort of material to cover it up if you thought it was cutting up your cheeck or just using a cotton swab or gauze or something. I was most worried about it poking at night time because i tend to sleep more on my side then my front and always seem to get most of my sores during the night time.

keep up the salt water rinse cause that really helps take the edge off of any discomfort. As well it helps with any sores that could develop due to the poking wire.

blindboarder2008

#12 Post by blindboarder2008 »

check this out, it should reassure you a bit, since its a back tooth there wont be to much movement due to the wire not being on there cause of the big roots in the tooth, (I'm assuming its a molar tooth) so you should be fine.

ps; sorry if i posted this link the wrong way, *crosses fingers and hopes it works;)

[/url]viewtopic.php?t=30574[url][/url]