Braces temporarily off!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

silly123

Braces temporarily off!

#1 Post by silly123 »

I'm getting my top 6 braces off for my wedding in June! (we thought they would be all off by now, but I have about 4 months)

It's going to be weird! I have clear braces so the bottems won't show, and the tops will still be on minus the front 6...

They will be off for about 2 1/2 weeks

Anyone do this?! I wonder it they'll charge me...should have asked!

Yay

newsboysgrl777

#2 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

When I initially went in to my braces consult, I told my ortho I was getting married and she told me she'd be taking my top 6 off and giving me a clear retainer to do this. So, when I get married (in July), I'll have had the braces on for 11 months (almost 12), so not even close to the end of treatment. However, a year is a long time and i didn't want to delay by that much by waiting until AFTER THE WEDDING to be braced, so this was an acceptable thing to me. For me, I have metal lowers, but you won't see them when I smile..so it doesn't bug me. I am going to ASSUME it won't cost me more to do this because it was all a part of the original plan to begin with. However, I think your ortho would've mentioned an additional cost when discussing this with you.

smile2006

#3 Post by smile2006 »

I just wanted to say that I had full cermaics for my wedding. There are only a few very up close pictures that you can see them if you are looking for them. The rest of the pictures you can't tell a bit. I had double jaw surgery about 10 months prior. My hubby had seen the worst of me (look wise) through jaw surgery. My new smile and bite even with braces was nice for my special day (-:

newsboysgrl777

#4 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

congrats, smile2006!! :) And, I hope I didn't come across as my hubby-to-be not wanting to see me in the braces or anything. That's not the case at all!! This is totally for me...*blush* Also, I have played with the idea of just asking to take my archwire out for the day...as, you're right, you're not going to see them very much unless taking an up-close photo, however, i just MIGHT want an up-close photo!! This may seem silly to some, but I would like to keep my options open.

However, as I type this, I just had a brilliant idea!! I'll see what happens for my engagement photo session. I'll ask my ortho to take the archwire out and then have my engagement session, and then see how those turn out. If there's nothing incredibly dissatisfying, I just might skip the trauma of taking off the ceramics!! I had ONE bracket taken off to be repositioned and that was very, very hard. They had to take a diamond something-or-other and grind it off...and even THEN, there was a lot of residue left over. :(

Thanks for making me think, smile2006!! :)

smile2006

#5 Post by smile2006 »

I think that sounds like a good idea. Try it for the engagement photos. I will say I hated getting my ceramics removed. For me it was not an easy experience. However, a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do....ultimately you have to be comfortable with your decision. Good luck!

classII

#6 Post by classII »

Interesting question. 8)

If there is a cost involved in removing and reapplying, weigh it with having the photos airbrushed i.e. digitally remove the braces from the teeth in the pictures after being taken. You should have at least 2 close ups x 6 teeth, shouldn't take a professional more than a one minute per tooth to airbrush the braces out. Probably do it for free. Just make sure they are competent in that area though, let them practice before hand etc.

rolo

#7 Post by rolo »

I got married before getting braces I have to say I there were one of two pics I rejected from my final album because my teeth looked bad, so great that you have got going on this before your big days. Now I have lower ceramics and they don't show in any pics.

My ortho surgery had some pics taken for an article on linguals braces and my lower regular (cermaic) braces didn't show at all no air brushing needed.

silly123

#8 Post by silly123 »

Thanks for the feedback! I am going back and forth now...to just taking out the archwire...

The pictures arent my biggest concern, its just my teeth look so bad about 1-2 weeks after an appt...because the ligs get yellow...Im sure you know the feeling!

I will ask at my appt. Monday and see what they think (if it's too hard to take them off ect..)

:D

starzz

#9 Post by starzz »

If stained ligs are the main issue, I'm sure they'd be willing to change them out right before your big day :D
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom