Will braces affect my eating alot?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JHova

Will braces affect my eating alot?

#1 Post by JHova »

Hi there, im about to be braced and will have 8 teeth extracted before doing so. Im worried that my weight will drop tremendously during the process, and after being braced as well. How difficult is it for those of you with braces to eat foods like chicken, steak, nuts, bread, oats etc...? Im planning to eat normally after a few weeks, but i have a feeling i won't be able to.

magster

#2 Post by magster »

about the weight issue.. all Im going to say is that after the day I got my spacers I couldnt eat normal :(

got spacers on 4.4.09 and braces last week on Thursday 4.9.09

so from 4.4.09 to today I've lost 4 pounds :(

:(

i dont want to lose weight so Im trying to KEEP ON eating a lot of mushy stuff

to answer your other question.. Im still waiting to eat normal again! :D

Congratulations though :D
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

JHova

#3 Post by JHova »

magster wrote:about the weight issue.. all Im going to say is that after the day I got my spacers I couldnt eat normal :(

got spacers on 4.4.09 and braces last week on Thursday 4.9.09

so from 4.4.09 to today I've lost 4 pounds :(

:(

i dont want to lose weight so Im trying to KEEP ON eating a lot of mushy stuff

to answer your other question.. Im still waiting to eat normal again! :D

Congratulations though :D
haha thanks. im looking forward to get the braces on as soon as possible. I've always wanted to get my teeth straightened out, and even though im a bit old at 19, i'm still excited to begin the process.

good luck with your adjustment with braces.

newsboysgrl777

#4 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Hey to both of you, JHova and Magster. Here is my experience...

I only got my top brackets on at first, so my bottom teeth were bare. It took me...let's say a good 2 - 4 weeks of getting used to those to eat as I always had. With these bottom brackets, I'm having a harder time adjusting, but it could just be my teeth (they needed more horizontal movement, whereas my uppers only needed a little vertical movement). It's also a little harder because I have glue build-up on my back molars to prevent my teeth from touching (and thus biting off a bracket), so chewing is more difficult.

That said, if you're going to get both brackets on a the same time (as I think you did Magster), I'm going to say probably by the end of the first month you'll be eating 100% normally again. You may be eating DIFFERENTLY (figuring out how to eat nuts, etc.) but the foods will be the same. If you have the glue build-ups, I've heard you get used to those as well, so I'm going to stick with my initial estimate of 1 month. This, of course, may be much longer than it will take you, so don't be alarmed!!

Another thing I wanted to mention is: I did not lose ANY WEIGHT when I got my top brackets put on. So...what does that tell you? ;) (And, I could stand to lose 10+ pounds) Although I wasn't eating comfortably for quite a while, I still did manage to eat.

A last thing I want to mention is what a lot of people are told who are going to have jaw surgery. Eat things that are higher in calories...that is, if you're finding you can't eat much at a time or if you're losing weight, etc. This will ensure that your body is getting what it needs to burn, without resorting to burning your own fat. A good thing to do might be to check out the thread about soft food cookbooks. I admit I haven't invested in one of those, but it may be beneficial. :)

OH! And one more thing (sorry!! My posts are always SO darn long!)...I've heard (and seemed to experience it to be true) that chewing helps get blood flowing and helps teeth get used to any pressure and relieves pain and just generally helps you get used to braces faster. So, as another poster said in a recent thread "chew through the pain" if you can...and you'll be happier for it on the other side. :)

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#5 Post by blindboarder2008 »

good post newsboys! lots of good info!!!

The only thing I would add is you can drink high protein drinks and meal suplement drinks if you want (ensure is a good one,). I remember when i first got my braces on I stocked up on those and I was happy I did.

Work up slowly to eating normally. Newsboys is right about the chewing things. It hurts like crazy but in the end it always seem to feel a bit better. you can always take a pain killer half an hour before you eat if you want to to reduce some of the discomfort!!

congratz on getting braces!! and welcome aboard!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

magster

#6 Post by magster »

I wouldnt say you're a "bit old" most of the people on here are much older than you are!

I'm 22..

and about the protein stuff.. will give Ensure a try :D

and yes I did get top and bottom at the same time
Spacers: 8 - 4 top, 4 bottom on 04.04.09
Braced on: 04.09.09
Sentence: 18-24 Months

Andromeda

#7 Post by Andromeda »

I like the energy/nutritional drinks called Boost. They have chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry and they taste pretty good especially the chocolate. You don't have to refrigerate them but they taste better cold. They have different formulas too, such as one with protein, one for glucose control, etc.

I have been having these for breakfast instead of my normal oatmeal while I'm at work since I have gotten elastics and I can't open my mouth enough to eat with them in; it's such a pain to have to take them out to eat so yea the nutritional drinks have helped a lot.

mary.

#8 Post by mary. »

Initially eating is a bit challenging, but once you get used to your braces you'll be eating just fine. I remember going easy for the first few weeks, but after a month or so I was munching on chips and pretty much anything that I wanted. I thought I might lose a little weight during the first month, but then I quickly realized that cheesecake and ice cream were very easy to handle haha. I didn't believe it when people told me at first, but I really do eat whatever I want, except for popcorn and taffy.

Pull out your blender and try some new smoothie recipes. It's a great way to keep nourished between meals. Get your favorite soups ready and some soft foods. Check out some pureed soups, may are my favorite with or without braces - roasted red pepper soups, sweet potato and pear bisque, mmmm. My favorite smoothie is a banana, cup of oj, 1/2 or 1 cup milk (or soy milk or some yogurt) and 4 or 5 frozen strawberries (or any other berry) and whirl it up. Delicious!

oharabrat

eating

#9 Post by oharabrat »

yeah you will. I have made the constant choice not to eat candies and chips. I eat smaller portions now. im three weeks in and have lost 12lbs. And that is from changing what I eat and to how I eat. Im not complaining...I can afford to lose that. Im used to eating foods again at the 3 week marker....I have to go through bottom spacers and gettign braced on the bottom still. Im sure that will take me down another 10lbs when I have to do the softy foods again for a few weeks.

I think it dependes on the person. I personally have made a choice when getting my braces to reevaluate how and what I eat. And for the better aside from the weight.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Petunia

#10 Post by Petunia »

I know it can be quite different between people but for me, I never really had any problem. The first few days after getting them on my teeth were pretty sore and I had a hard time eating but I kindof took the mentality of 'I'm not going to let this change how I eat!' and just made myself keep eating like normal. Now the only thing I avoid is popcorn and I try to stay away from sticky stuff :roll:

jjjmac

#11 Post by jjjmac »

It's going to be an adjustment - and in the beginning, you won't think it's possible that you'll go back to eating "normally,' but you will. :)

There are some things to avoid, which I'm sure you know about, and there will be some things you learn to avoid because it's not worth the hassle. As an example, I don't wat crackers anymore because it seems like the mush just gathers all around my brackets and, while not hard to clean off, I'd rather not even bother.

If you don't want to lose weight, there are many high-calorie soft food options - as others have pointed out. :) I lost a bit of weight, but I also really wanted to - and have recently gained some of it back... so it will all even out.
First Ortho Consult: 6/12/08
4 premolars extracted: 11/4/08
Braced Upper & Lower w/TPA: 11/6/08
Debraced: 11/18/10

DenaClements

#12 Post by DenaClements »

I have been eating normal for about a week, and I have only been braced for 2 1/2 weeks. I don't eat anything hard though because I am afraid of braking off a bracket.

DenaClements

#13 Post by DenaClements »

Oh, and I just got braced on the top. I won't get my bottom set for another month or so. That could be why I am able to eat normally so soon.

pigonthego

#14 Post by pigonthego »

Once my arch was in a good place about four months I was able to eat just about anything. I gained weight after I had mine put on. Ate a lot of soft foods pasta and such.

fooforever

#15 Post by fooforever »

hi jhova
I've had my braces for 9 months ish now and i can honistly say i have not to major problems eating
theres been a few time when i had to stop just because "oo that was abit tender" and just be care full of that tooth and as for the extrations i could not eat for the rest of that day sort of thing or i just ate carefully

I dont think you will have any weight problems unless you think you dont need to eat that might be the key