How do elastics work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

*melissa*

How do elastics work?

#1 Post by *melissa* »

I got class II elastics today [and since I am a nerd and all that loves to learn all the details about my treatment], I am interested to know how they work... does anyone know?

Do the elastics just pull the top teeth down and the bottoms up? How does every tooth move if only 4 teeth are actually touching the elastics?

I've searched the forums trying to find out if this question has been answered already but no luck. And google is no help either.

blueeyedboy

Re: How do elastics work?

#2 Post by blueeyedboy »

*melissa* wrote: Do the elastics just pull the top teeth down and the bottoms up? How does every tooth move if only 4 teeth are actually touching the elastics?
Elastics work by applying forces in the desired direction, and slowly causing your teeth to shift in the direction of the forces. Besides the forces being applied directly to the teeth that the elastics are connected to, the forces are also transfered to the other teeth through the archwires connecting the teeth. The stiffness and shape of the archwire will also affect which teeth move and in which direction.

starzz

#3 Post by starzz »

It's called physics :)
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

jenjen

#4 Post by jenjen »

Elastics are actually powered by the dark side- they are trully evil. But they seem to work so what the hell.

It all depends how you're strung up. I had one on one side from left upper canine to left lower back molar. In my case the centreline between my front top teeth and my front bottom teeth didn't match up, so he was basically trying to hoick my lower teeth round a bit. I think. Maybe it moved my whole jaw?

They're not pleasant I know (isn't it like have the 3-4 days post-adjustment pain for the entire time?), but they work quick. When you graduate to the thinner elastics with less force it's heaven.

Use the force
JJ

Survived Ceramic top and bottom for 16 months.
Now bonded lower retainer and Essix retainers top and bottom.

*melissa*

#5 Post by *melissa* »

jenjen wrote:Elastics are actually powered by the dark side- they are trully evil.
LOL yes I think so too!!!
Todays my 2nd day in elastics and I woke up in EXTREME pain in the middle of the night. Every bone in my face was throbbing, especially my cheek bones! I was thinking "wtf, why does it feel like I got plasic surgery?!?!" LOL :lol:

*melissa*

Re: How do elastics work?

#6 Post by *melissa* »

blueeyedboy wrote:
Elastics work by applying forces in the desired direction, and slowly causing your teeth to shift in the direction of the forces. Besides the forces being applied directly to the teeth that the elastics are connected to, the forces are also transfered to the other teeth through the archwires connecting the teeth. The stiffness and shape of the archwire will also affect which teeth move and in which direction.
Thank you so much for the great response!! That all makes perfect sense. :)

So if I have 5/16 elastics, what does that mean?

danz23

#7 Post by danz23 »

When you graduate to the thinner elastics with less force it's heaven.
I'm confused... dont you start out with the lighter elastics (similar to how you start with a thin wire) then go on to the heavier ones?? Maybe I'm wrong coz this is round 2 for me and I didnt wear elastics for long last time round. Cant remeber the details too well... We seem to be starting from scratch now so I dunno what phase I'm in (my teeth are straight tho, working on my open bite now). Last time I went in was the first appointment since getting my braces on and she gave me very light elastics and there hardly feels likes theres pressure there. I've only been instructed to wear them at night atm.
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets

Andromeda

#8 Post by Andromeda »

Yea I don't really know how the progression of the thickness of elastics works... I got elastics for my bite almost a month ago and he started me out on the thickest/heaviest elastics the office has. Definitely the most painful thing I've gone through so far in my year+ of braces... I should be all done in a couple months so Ill watch to see if he changes my elastics to thinner ones or keps me at the thickest.

It would have been nice to start with lighter ones and build up to where I am now just to ease into the pain but oh well...

Andromeda

#9 Post by Andromeda »

And let me just add that after a month of 24/7 wear of these things, my teeth STILL hurt. Its much more bareable now but still it hurts just to run my tounge along the teeth sometimes...

*melissa*

#10 Post by *melissa* »

Andromeda wrote:And let me just add that after a month of 24/7 wear of these things, my teeth STILL hurt. Its much more bareable now but still it hurts just to run my tounge along the teeth sometimes...
I am in the same boat as you right now... and today is only day 3 for me.
What is the force of your elastics? Does it say on the bag? Mine says 5/16. Im just wondering what strength you have..

Andromeda

#11 Post by Andromeda »

My bag says...

4mm (3/16")
Super Heavy 6 oz.

Don't know what that means but my ortho said its the heaviest they have.

Andromeda

#12 Post by Andromeda »

Ok so I just found this website:

https://jawproducts.authsecure.com/nonl ... -2940.html

And it says:
Light = 2.5 oz force pull (thinnest)
Medium = 3.5 oz force pull
Heavy = 4.5 oz force pull
X-Heavy = 6.5 oz force pull (thickest)

It also has pics of both 3/16 and 5/16 elastics and you can notice a difference in size. I think that number is the diameter in inches. So the smaller diameter (3/16) is a smaller elastic so it will pull harder. It looks like they make one size smaller than what I have, but I guess my ortho just doesn't carry that size.

*melissa*

#13 Post by *melissa* »

Mine says "Force: 6 oz"... I wonder what the heck that means lol. Anyone know?? I am so curious to know if I'll get even stronger ones after these...they never told me anything except that they're class II. Oh and I hear everyone talking about how they have animals or something on their bag to indicate the strength...my bag is plain!!

*melissa*

#14 Post by *melissa* »

Andromeda wrote:Ok so I just found this website:

https://jawproducts.authsecure.com/nonl ... -2940.html

And it says:
Light = 2.5 oz force pull (thinnest)
Medium = 3.5 oz force pull
Heavy = 4.5 oz force pull
X-Heavy = 6.5 oz force pull (thickest)

It also has pics of both 3/16 and 5/16 elastics and you can notice a difference in size. I think that number is the diameter in inches. So the smaller diameter (3/16) is a smaller elastic so it will pull harder. It looks like they make one size smaller than what I have, but I guess my ortho just doesn't carry that size.
Thanks so much!! :D

Andromeda

#15 Post by Andromeda »

Mine aren't animals, they are countries. Mine says Thailand... way less cool than animals...