cross elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jxds

cross elastics?

#1 Post by jxds »

Today I got a button attached to the back of my molar. The button is a sort of small piece of metal with no wires or anything. The ortho said it is there to hold a elastic that should correct my crossbite. I am scheduled in 3 weeks to get the elastic.

Has anyone had this cross elastics? Are they painful or uncomfortable? Can you speak properly? Thanks a lot!

Megan11

#2 Post by Megan11 »

I had two buttons and cross elastics on both my upper canines.

The first time I got them they were not painful at all. The assistant put them on that time. The second time I went in my ortho was like wait let me do it this time and he tied the elastics SUPER tight and it was pretty painful but the cross elastics don't have anything on powerchains or stainless steel wires.

So I would say its mild-moderately painful. No biggie thats for sure. They worked well though. I thought they were going to take forever, with not having a wire and all.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Andromeda

#3 Post by Andromeda »

Hey I just posted a reply to this in your braces stories page so you can read that too but I just wanted to add that it didn't affect my speech since it was all the way in the back of my mouth and pain wise, the button did rub my tounge so use wax and the elastic didn't hurt too much but I think it depends a lot on how heavy an elastic you get. Some are stronger and pull harder but it shouldn't be too bad at all.

Grutty

#4 Post by Grutty »

I have had one cross elastic for about 3 months now. I did have some jaw and neck pain for the first few weeks, but my teeth and tongue never hurt. I can talk fine with it in, it really hasnt been bad at all. It has already helped shift my bite, at my last visit the ortho told me I could go from wearing it 22 hours a day to just wearing it at night. It feels kind of strange to not have it in now. :lol:

jxds

#5 Post by jxds »

Thanks a lot! It really helps to read other people's experiences, since everything is new for us... So far I've only got braces and molar buildups, but anything else, so I guess I'm just somewhat nervous about getting more hardware in my mouth... I already knew that elastics were on my way and I've been warned that this is only going to be the first of several different configurations but I thought it was rather uncommon...

If anyone else is wearing or has worn this kind of elastics, I'd love to hear your story, so I can get a sense on what to expect! :roll:

Lela

#6 Post by Lela »

I wore cross elastics but slightly different then yours as they were on both sides. They didn't cause me any pain or discomfort but they did mess up my speech a bit. You'll probably fair better though with just two teeth involved (mine spanned 4 on each side), not as many strings to trip you up :D
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

jxds

#7 Post by jxds »

thank you, lela!

it's been a week already and the button is still rubbing my mouth a lot! I've been using plenty of wax, but the tongue does not seem to toughen like the cheeks... whatever. I'm only worried that one I get the elastic I won't be able to use wax on the button anymore, so I try not to use wax all the time so I get used... i hope it does get better!

jxds

#8 Post by jxds »

I finally got the elastic. I got the medium strength ones, 3/16" 4.5 oz

The teeth to which it is attached are sore right now, I hope it does not get worse. If it just stays like that, it is definitely manageable! The worst part has been so far trying to put it in, the first time I've had to replace it I have spent like 15 minutes or so struggling with it, hope It gets better! no idea though how I'm going to do that without a mirror! Oh, and I've had two of them suddenly snapping in my mouth! I hope not to swallow them!

I'll post some pics when I can...

Lela

#9 Post by Lela »

I'm surprised they made you wear the button for so long without an elastic. They are much less sharp with an elastic on. I remember wearing the elastics even when eating at first because the buttons felt like razorblades without them.

You'll get used to putting the elastic in pretty quickly and be a pro in no time :D . Did you get a little plastic hook with your elastics? It came in handy at first, but once I got the hang of things my fingers worked just fine.
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

jxds

#10 Post by jxds »

apparently he wasn't sure it would stay and not pop off, so he wanted to be sure about that. Anyway, it's true that the button is much much less uncomfortable with the elastic in. However, that seems to be the only positive part os the whole elastics thing. I have now learnt how to change it quickly, so no more snapping! I still use a mirror, but next time I'll try without it.

The pain is greater now, the teeth with the hooks and those next to them are really sore now, when I get up they are extremely sore and I can't really bite down on that side. Anyway, I hope it will recede soon!

I keep it in all the time, except for eating and brushing, I really want to be as fast as possible so I'd wear it 26 hours a day if I could!

Petunia

#11 Post by Petunia »

Great to hear your experience jxds! Hope it's all going smoothly now. I might be getting a cross elastic here soon... braces alone have actually fixed most of my crossbite but there is still one tooth left with a bit of a cross bite. I'm actually a bit excited to get elastics or something new going :roll:
Anyway, it would be great to see pictures!!!

jenjen

#12 Post by jenjen »

I have a very silly question- what's a cross bite? I had a humongous overbite, and I had one elastic on once side from upper canine to lower back molar, was that also a crossbite? In your situations which teeth do the elastics connect to fix it?

Curious JJ!

Survived Ceramic top and bottom for 16 months.
Now bonded lower retainer and Essix retainers top and bottom.

jxds

#13 Post by jxds »

jenjen: this kind of elastics go from the inside of the upper molar to the outside of the lower molar, at lest that's my case. The cross-bite is when the uppers sit inside the lowers, more or less.

Petunia: it does get better, although those two teeth are still quite sore! however I now can put the elastic in with no effort without a mirror! I still keep it in all the time, really hope it won't be there for a long time!