Self-ligating or Ceramics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sisi

Self-ligating or Ceramics?

#1 Post by sisi »

Hi everyone

I am about to start treatment on the 7th April with self-ligating brackets on the bottom jaw (damons). On the upper jaw I have the choice of In-Ovation C self-ligating or old-fashioned ceramics with ligs.

I am having trouble deciding.

The way I see it, the advantages of self-ligating are

a) they are faster
b) they are cleaner (no ligs to build up plaque)
c) you can eat and drink what you want because no ligs or ceramics to stain.

Advantages of non-self-ligating ceramics; ceramics;

a) they are flatter
b) they can be totally clear (as opposed to In-Ovation C which have a little metal part).

Am I missing anything?

The aesthetic aspect of the brackets I choose is really important to me so I think that the ceramics may be the way to go. However, I know I will have to be super-careful with food and drink. I originally planned to go with Invisalign on top but my ortho convinced me that she can do a better job with fixed appliances. I am happy with that decision.

Thanks everyone. This site rocks.

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

I would go with the Innovation C self-ligating. From what I've read people do have issues with ligs staining and I would not want to have to worry about that (if it were me).

Any reason why your ortho didn't offer you Damon 3's on top if you are getting Damon metal on the bottom? The Damon 3's are still metal, but they are partly ceramic. I have Damon 3 on top and 3MX on the bottom.

sisi

#3 Post by sisi »

Thanks Audra

My ortho prefers not to use Damon 3s.

beth1966

#4 Post by beth1966 »

Wow - that is cool that your ortho offers you a choice of either on top. I've had a variety of consults - and the orthos I've met with either use traditiona or self ligating, but no one uses both. Seemed that everywhere I went they felt one way or the other - most I've met with used traditional ceramics.

That said - I had a consult this week with an ortho that I was very pleased with. He was very concerned with giving me a proper and healthy bite as well as concerned with my overall aethetics/appearance at the end. I agreed to having records taken - and I return in 3 weeks to hear his treatment plan. When determining a patient's treatment plan he consults with others as well as he is part of a study group of orthos from all over my area. He's also a Professor at a wellknown college in NYC.

I'm a bit concerned with what the final dollar figure will be - as he was unable to tell me that at our first consult. All other orthos could - but actually I also see it as a positive because he is going to take time to come up with my treatment whereas others just said 'yes i'll straighten your teeth, return for xrays and a mold, and then we'll set your brace date'. No one else was interested in discussing with me what they plan to do.

So for me, I've really been trying to find the right ortho for me - and when I found that person, I would hope that they offered an aethetic option of brackets that would work for me.

I was also concerned with the bulkiness of ceramics - whether they are self ligating or traditional, seems both are quite bulky. The ortho I like offers Innovation-C, but we have not gone over other options yet - such as all metal (maybe cheaper) or lingual (which I don't believe are for me).
I was definitely concerned with ligs staining no matter how many orthos said - just come in and we'll switch them out for you! Too many people on here said they stained fast - and it was annoying. So I'd prefer not to have to worry about that at all.

I'll be interested to watch what you choose. Very best of luck to you!

thunderkat

#5 Post by thunderkat »

Good question! I am about to take the plunge tomorrow morning!! I've opted for In-ovation C (clear ceramics) on the top and In-ovation regular metal on the bottom. I do have the option of getting the ceramics on the bottom, but my bottom teeth aren't too visible and the metals aren't as bulky. I'm hoping the build-ups they put on the back molars aren't too awkward...

Wish me luck...I am so nervous!! But this forum has definitely helped me feel more confortable with this decision (I am 28). :o I'll post my update some time over the weekend.

thunderkat

#6 Post by thunderkat »

Whoops, I meant I am 28.

sisi

#7 Post by sisi »

thunderkat, good luck tomorrow! Are you getting both jaws at once? Tell us how you get on... :D

Zeppguy73

#8 Post by Zeppguy73 »

I've had Inovation-C brackets for about a year, and get them off in a couple months. They've worked really well, very little discomfort since they were put on, and they're not really that noticeable or large. Very tough and adult- looking braces.

beth1966

#9 Post by beth1966 »

Zeppguy73 - - did you ever post any pics of your Innovation-C's? I was just curious how they looked on a patient - I've seen them in the brochure but that is it.

Zeppguy73

#10 Post by Zeppguy73 »

nope, but if you do some digging on some older posts, you'll find some pics of folks with my brackets. People essentially have to be pretty close to you and paying attention to notice them. From any distance farther than say 4-5 feet, 95% of people would never notice. Of course, this is considering you even care what other people think. I knew my treatment was going to be a year or less, so I didn't care at all. Besides, since braces with elastics are used now instead of jaw wires post-surgery, many adults can get away with saying they had hurt their jaw and needed a minor operation to repair the joint or something.

Andromeda

#11 Post by Andromeda »

I've actually had both types of brackets on my top teeth that you are talking about in the past year. I started with the ceramics with ligs bc aesthetics was the most important thing to me. Turned out that no matter what I ate the clear ligs stained yellow badly and always looked gross so I switched to using white ligs which made the braces stand out more but didn't stain. Then I moved during treatment so had to find a new ortho. The one I found put the In-Ovation C on me and that's what I've had since last August. Personally I like the self ligating better bc yes they do have the bit of metal that is more obvious looking but my other brackets were just as noticable bc of either stained or white ligs showing. Plus the self ligating seem to be working a bit faster than the other ones.

I have pics of me wearing both sets of braces in my braces story if u wanted to take a look. Just click on my link at the bottom of this post. Good luck!

beth1966

#12 Post by beth1966 »

Thanks very much! I'll have to check out your photos tonight.

Andromeda

#13 Post by Andromeda »

You're welcome Beth, I hope you find my pics helpful :)

mve21

#14 Post by mve21 »

I have a clear self-ligating brace ontop.. it's a bit more visible than traditional ones as I have a little metal clip either side of the bracket to hold the wire but as everything I eat seems to be red or yellow I think in the end ligatures would colour and be more obvious than the metal.

sisi

#15 Post by sisi »

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I still haven't decided what to do. My ortho is very pro self-ligating for my upper jaw. She thinks that the staining of the elastics will drive me mad.

I have metal damons on my lower jaw and will getting the upper jaw braced up later this year. The damons are neater than I expected - the brackets are quite small really. Also, one thing I have noticed is that the white wax makes them a lot less visible.