question about everyone's retainer wear

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zeppguy73

question about everyone's retainer wear

#1 Post by Zeppguy73 »

Hi there,

I'm a 21 year old getting ready to have my braces removed. I had developed a slight open bite over my teenage years that did not affect my previous orthodontic treatment, meaning the straightness of my teeth, and after consults with my orthodontist, an orofacial myologist and an oral surgeon, it was agreed that I did not have a tongue thrust or any swallowing disorder, and no speech impediment. Apparently due to the complexity of my earlier case as a kid, my jaw simply started tilting back, and since it didn't cause me any pain or discomfort, I simply never really noticed until I was about 19. So, I opted for braces one more time, the clear Ovation-C type. Easy treatment, started April '08, still on my original archwire, had to wear elastics to pull everything together, and I'll be getting debonded in May. Being an adult and using my own money for this, I have religiously followed my ortho's instructions, even though most of my appointments last 3 minutes, since everything has gone so smoothly. My orthodontist is letting me choose my retainer type, and I'm leaning towards hawley since essix didn't work too well to keep my jaw from moving the last time, but I wasn't done growing yet either. Anyways, my orthodontist always says to "wear them more often than not," meaning something like 15+ hours a day, and I'll probably do more like 20+. But I know other ortho's do 24/7. So how many of you with retainers actually follow that? By the way, my ortho is well respected within the field, and has used me as a case study because of my earlier complications, and has multiple degrees and is qualified to teach orthodontics. I remember as a kid, every other orthodontist said surgery was the only option for me, but he was confident enough to do it with an expander and braces, and it worked really well.

Zeppguy73

#2 Post by Zeppguy73 »

I guess to save people from reading my long post, does anyone truly wear their retainers 24/7 if indeed their orthodontist told them to?

overseasmel

#3 Post by overseasmel »

I think if you subtracted the time I have them out for eating (or laziness after eating) I'd have them on for about 20 hours a day.

:)

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

Zeppguy73

#4 Post by Zeppguy73 »

that's about what I'll be shooting for. I have a lot of downtime at my job, so I'll mainly take them off for presentations and my adult league softball games so I don't break them.

kirjax

#5 Post by kirjax »

okay well I'm about 5 weeks in.

For the first 3 I wore them religiously only takin them out to eat or brush.

Fast forward to week 5 and I average about 15-18 hrs.

I usually take them out when I first wake up and rinse and brush them. But I leave them out to eat. But since I can't eat when I first wake up it is about an hr later. Then I take them out for about 2 hours at lunch time. And the same for dinner. If I go out to eat they may be out a bit longer.

So far it's been fine. I go in 2 weeks for a checkup so I guess I'll find out. My ortho also said 24/7 but never gave a time frame of how long (and I didn't ask).

I am in Hawleys and from reading people's experiences I'd say they're your best way to go!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Danielle

#6 Post by Danielle »

I wore them 24/7 except for eating and brushing for the first month. Two and a half months in and I wear them about 21 hours a day... I'm hoping to keep the 20+ hour thing going on for the next year.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

smile2006

#7 Post by smile2006 »

I'm an odd case in this but I have a bonded composite retainer (upper) behind two teeth and other than that no retainers at all. I had a severe open bite which was corrected with upper and lower jaw surgery nd two years of braces. My ortho bears the philosophy that if the jaws are in perfect (or near perfect relation) and the teeth have been set properly then the alignment of the teeth will be maintained. I've had my braces off 1 1/2 years and so far so good. In his opinion my surgeon did a great job as did he so my teeth should stay put. I sure hope he is right, I still get anxious at times about my teeth going back but so far it's been great.

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

My orthodontist told me 24/7 for the first 6 months then nightly wear after that for the rest of my life... well it's been almost a year and I've worn them for 24/7 for about 7 1/2 months and well unfortantly one broke so I really haven't worn them lately.... I'm in Texas for military training and my orthodontist is in San Diego so really can't get retainers replaced...

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Andromeda

#9 Post by Andromeda »

SDFD - You could probably get a new ortho to make you a new set of retainers. I think you have to pay for new retainers if you break them usually no matter what, even with your original ortho, so shouldn't be too much of a difference. I know what you mean about moving around tho - my hubby is a Marine so we moved from Virginia to California in mid treatment and I had to get all set up with a new ortho and whatnot. Little bit of a pain but not too bad.

kirjax

#10 Post by kirjax »

I always get confused because some orthos tell patients 24/7 while others say just at night. Some patients get their retainers right after braces are removed while others have to wait a few days or weeks. Don't you think that if they really thought your teeth would significantly move that ALL orthos would give retainers the day braces are removed?? Then some are given Hawley's, permanents, and Essix. Therefore it just goes to show there are different methods for retaining the teeth. My ortho doesn't use essix only Hawley's.

What makes one case different from the next? Is it just the ortho who chooses what he believes to be right for the patient.??

I may have to bring up these questions at my appt on the 12th.

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

DireWire

#11 Post by DireWire »

From what I hear, nobody knows how prone your teeth are to move back, so it is a bit trial and error.

I'll have a bonded retainer forever plus Essix, and I'll have to wear the Essix 24/7 initially, less over time (down to 1-2 nights per week)... but when I can go down how much really depends on my teeth. I guess as long as the retainer sits tight, you better wear it religiously. If it sits loose, it means the teeth haven't moved much, so you can cut down on the retainer wear time.

The bottom line of this long winded response is: it depends on your teeth, and it is not predictible.

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

Wireless

#12 Post by Wireless »

I was looking at Smile2006's post where the ortho stated that once jaws and teeth are properly aligned they will remain in position without long term retention. I heard nearly the identical same story 20 years ago when my last braces were removed at age 39.

Over the past 20 years, the severe overbite I had came back very gradually. Neither my dentist or I noticed until it had gone too far. I tried to avoid having a re-treatment, but the problem progressed to where I experienced gum damage. I'm back in braces getting this fixed again.

There are a lot of forces on your teeth from clenching or grinding to pressure from your lips that will make them move. The effects may not show up for an extended time.

Be careful with the retainer issue. Its not just the expense of having another ortho treatment later - its also the inconvenience and discomfort of doing so.

sdawdy

#13 Post by sdawdy »

I am not at the retaining point yet...but in my consult, i was advised i would have top and bottom fixed retainers and removable top and bottom (not sure what kind)...I would be in the fixed retainers for life, and the removable ones would be 24/7 for a year or more...then at night from there for life. I have lots of gaps and had rotated teeth, so if I do not follow these instructions, then they will move back....anyways that was what i was told...we will see in time if that changes

SD

kirjax

#14 Post by kirjax »

hmm it is quite interesting. I guess it does depend on the person.

I know lots of people who didn't wear retainers and now need braces again at the same time I know some who never wore them and still to this day have perfect teeth. I guess it all depends on how well your teeth sit in their new positions.

Well I'm going to go back to wearing mine more rather then less until I see my ortho in 2 weeks. Then I guess he can let me know what the deal is with the retainer wear. I do not mind wearing them at night for life cause they don't bother me but it is nice 2 be able to go out and show off your new smile w/out retainers!

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009

Wireless

#15 Post by Wireless »

I think you are right that it depends on the person, and also when they had treatment. I know a number of people in my age group (50's) who had braces as a teenager in the 1960s and 1970, and had their teeth get out of alignment, as retainers were short term then. Many decided their teeth were good enough now and it isn't worth the expense or effort for a re-treatment.

It also depends on what caused the problem. My latest ortho pointed to a bone structure problem that has resulted in a deep overbite returning. As a result, he wasn't willing to guarantee I won't have problems this time.

I think the most important thing is to come up with a means to see if teeth are shifting too much post treatment, and to work with your dentist or ortho to catch problems before they become big again.

My biggest mistake was not giving my dentist a detailed dental history outlining my two previous ortho treatments - one in the 1960's and one in the 1980's. At one point, I think dentists believed they had a complete dental history with only a set of Xrays. I also thought that any major problems would be caught during six month checkups. When my deep overbite got to the point it was causing gum irritation, it was first diagnosed as a "coffee burn" and treated as a minor gum problem. At that point, I realized that I had never given a complete history. When the coffee burn didn't go away, I ended up with an orthodontic referral and "round three".

I do hope these comments will help someone else avoid my mistakes - only 14 more Invisalign trays to go!!