personal problem needing your opinion.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

autodial

personal problem needing your opinion.

#1 Post by autodial »

hi everybody, i'm new, and the past few days i've been so stressed out/nervous/upset over a problem and i need your advice. i have a dentist appointment in a few days, but still i'm stressed and frustrated so i figured i could come here and post and get your opinion..

i'm 20 and i still have one of my baby canine teeth in. the adult tooth grew in right above it. the dentist recommends i get the baby tooth pulled out so the adult tooth can grow into its place, and that i should get braces.

the problem is, is that this is in the front of my mouth and it worries me that i'll look like a freak. i'll have a missing tooth until my braces pull down the adult tooth, and who knows how long that will take. not only that, i'm insecure that i'm too old to have braces, even though i hear all the time that more and more adults are getting braces. i'm just worried the fact that i'll kind of look like a hillbilly will ruin my chances with girls, and it will be a major blow to my self esteem.

so, i was hoping maybe somebody here could lend me their opinion, or hopefully some similar stories. this whole braces thing is new to me, and i wasn't exactly expecting to get them. i guess i wanna know:

1) how long would it take to move an adult tooth down into position like that with braces?

2) how long would i have to wear braces?

autodial

#2 Post by autodial »

here's a picture for an example:

i found a thread very similar to mine but i've been so stressed out that i felt like creating a new thread to confront my problem and questions and such. i am sorry if this is a hassle or if i did anything wrong by this. i just feel like my situation differs from it in a way.

Ice runner

#3 Post by Ice runner »

hi autodial!

First of all what I have to say to you is, dont worry how you will look now without tooth, think about how you will look after brace treatment! ;) A lot of people was thinking like you do now, but when you are some months in braces, and can actually see progress, you know you did a right thing.
I am a guy too, I was nervous and in "day D" I almost chicken out, I really didnt know what to do, what girfriend will say, friends, parents, co-workers.... and in my town no one dont have braces and in a country, braces are totally not "natural" or "in". So it was not easy for me. Now I am almost 4 months in, and totally used on them and can see a lot of moving. Point is, that now I am proud of myself, that I did that step, really. And no one didnt said nothing bad to me, or "discouraged me", even better, I can see people admire me.

About you questions:
Well, first of all a LOT depends on what kind of braces you will have (metal, ceramic, damon, any appliance....). The fastest one are damon, then metal, ceramic are the slowest one. theoretically, but not necessary. And the lot is depend on orthodontist and you teeth.
1. Lets say around 10-14 months
2. 20-36 months.
Ask your ortho for more info about treatment time and plan ;)

I hope i help you a little bit, and wish you all the best. And dont chicken out, be a man! :lol:

greetings, sorry for any mistakes

starzz

#4 Post by starzz »

I agree with your dentist. I think girls will like your looks better without the baby tooth. Your canines are obviously present, just high, so it won't look like you're missing a tooth. Just smile big and show your fangs :lol: Once you get braces people will notice the space even less.

Ask your dentist for a referral to an orthodontist and schedule a consult, which may be free. The ortho can answer your questions about treatment time. Read other people's stories with pictures on this board to get an idea of month to month progress.

You're not to old for braces!!! Most people on this board are older than you. Welcome :D
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

autodial

#5 Post by autodial »

Ice runner wrote:hi autodial!

First of all what I have to say to you is, dont worry how you will look now without tooth, think about how you will look after brace treatment! ;) A lot of people was thinking like you do now, but when you are some months in braces, and can actually see progress, you know you did a right thing.
I am a guy too, I was nervous and in "day D" I almost chicken out, I really didnt know what to do, what girfriend will say, friends, parents, co-workers.... and in my town no one dont have braces and in a country, braces are totally not "natural" or "in". So it was not easy for me. Now I am almost 4 months in, and totally used on them and can see a lot of moving. Point is, that now I am proud of myself, that I did that step, really. And no one didnt said nothing bad to me, or "discouraged me", even better, I can see people admire me.

About you questions:
Well, first of all a LOT depends on what kind of braces you will have (metal, ceramic, damon, any appliance....). The fastest one are damon, then metal, ceramic are the slowest one. theoretically, but not necessary. And the lot is depend on orthodontist and you teeth.
1. Lets say around 10-14 months
2. 20-36 months.
Ask your ortho for more info about treatment time and plan ;)

I hope i help you a little bit, and wish you all the best. And dont chicken out, be a man! :lol:

greetings, sorry for any mistakes
thank you so much for your reply.

the past few days have been so stressful, i haven't been able to get sleep over this. even last night, i had a dream my teeth were falling out, HAHAHAHA. my dentist appointment is in 2 days and i'm too stressed to wait until then so i've been googling stuff and looking at things on the internet for other opinions or information. i came across this one blog(
http://www.ourchurch.com/view/?pageID=164075)

and i found these pictures that made me feel better:

august

november

my tooth is in about the same place as the picture of august, except my tooth is actually fully grown in, so i think that will help me i think?

i don't mind being in braces for a year i guess, it's just that i don't not want that missing tooth there. so seeing that picture timeline of only 3 months of bringing that down pretty well made me feel better.

can i get the braces that are clear for this? i'd love that

Megan11

#6 Post by Megan11 »

Hi Autodial! I am 20 about to turn 21. I had the same problem as you only our cases are kind of flipped. My canines grew in behind my baby canines instead of above them.

Like so...

I would consider myself a pretty insecure person and was absolutely dreading the thought of having braces. For the most part I refused to have metal braces and would only agree to have lingual braces ( behind the teeth braces). But, I got fed up with those teeth they bothered me so much so I just went ahead and bit the bullet and got metal braces because I was told it would be the cheapest/fastest treatment.

You probably won't like how you look but remember it is TEMPORARY. I rather go through 2 years of not liking my braced smile than spend the rest of my life hiding my smile.

#1. It's different with everyone. Some have the tooth come right down where others have it take a long time

#2 It depends on how fast the tooth comes down and what other issues are being corrected. I was estimated at 12 months but I don't have bite issues.

Having braces hasn't affected my dating life at all. If anything its kept the shallow people away from me. I think you should go for it. The end result will be so worth it.

This is me only 5 1/2 months into treatment

and heres my smile today, a little shy of 7 months

I think you should suck it up and go for it!!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

autodial

#7 Post by autodial »

starzz wrote:I agree with your dentist. I think girls will like your looks better without the baby tooth. Your canines are obviously present, just high, so it won't look like you're missing a tooth. Just smile big and show your fangs :lol: Once you get braces people will notice the space even less.

Ask your dentist for a referral to an orthodontist and schedule a consult, which may be free. The ortho can answer your questions about treatment time. Read other people's stories with pictures on this board to get an idea of month to month progress.

You're not to old for braces!!! Most people on this board are older than you. Welcome :D
thank you so much for this post! i was so worried before i found this board... i have anxiety problems coupled with bipolar disorder, so i tend to find things wrong with myself and i get carried away with it -- very excessively. this board makes me feel a lot better, and i can trust you guys as reliable sources because you speak from experience

i'm going to upload a pic soon of what i need done so you can see the extent of the work

autodial

#8 Post by autodial »

Megan11 wrote:Hi Autodial! I am 20 about to turn 21. I had the same problem as you only our cases are kind of flipped. My canines grew in behind my baby canines instead of above them.

Like so...

I would consider myself a pretty insecure person and was absolutely dreading the thought of having braces. For the most part I refused to have metal braces and would only agree to have lingual braces ( behind the teeth braces). But, I got fed up with those teeth they bothered me so much so I just went ahead and bit the bullet and got metal braces because I was told it would be the cheapest/fastest treatment.

You probably won't like how you look but remember it is TEMPORARY. I rather go through 2 years of not liking my braced smile than spend the rest of my life hiding my smile.

#1. It's different with everyone. Some have the tooth come right down where others have it take a long time

#2 It depends on how fast the tooth comes down and what other issues are being corrected. I was estimated at 12 months but I don't have bite issues.

Having braces hasn't affected my dating life at all. If anything its kept the shallow people away from me. I think you should go for it. The end result will be so worth it.

This is me only 5 1/2 months into treatment

and heres my smile today, a little shy of 7 months

I think you should suck it up and go for it!!

thanks! i think i'm going to do it. i just have to get that baby canine pulled.... and ack, i think that's not a great idea.. i don't know, how did you handle that situation? i mean hiding your smile and stuff? that's the kind of thing that worries me; how much i'll look like a freak.

and your smile looks beautiful after 5-7 months! i can't wait to look that good. :)

i just don't wanna have to do this long term (1+ year), you know? i'm sure nobody does. can't i just like, kick the bucket after i get the canine pulled down and wear retainers?

i have no braces knowledge so please excuse my ignorance, lol

Ice runner

#9 Post by Ice runner »

Well, I am almost positive you can get the clear braces, money makes the world go around.
Dont worry so much about your look without a tooth, in few months "adult" tooth will be in the right position, and your smile will be great. believe, no one wont notice your braces, not even missing tooth. believe me! At the begining I was hiding my smile, honestly I was literally avoiding people because I didnt want they notice me in braces. But of course, there are situations which you cant avoid it, so they made me start being "communicative" And then I realize, that I dont have to hide (myself, my teeth and braces ) beacuse I am doing this for me. For over 10 years I wasnt self-confidence because of my teeth, specially with girls, and when a saw someone with great teeth, I was really jelious! it is funny, but true.

Closer the brace day was, more nervous was I (I think a lot of persons here was like me!? :) ) At night I had a dreams about braces, lossing my teeth, how my GF dump me because of it .... Everyday all day, I was thinking how will I look, how I will go out, eat in restaurant, brush my teeth, ...... and stuff with braces :)

On the end of my sesame, my advice is, just go and do it! If you wont do it, one day you will be sorry. 3 months are nothing compare with 30 years
And I am 24, lot of people here are over 30, 40, so that makes you a "junior" here :)

autodial

#10 Post by autodial »

from what i understand though, is that this is generally a long-term agreement... 1-3 years, and sometimes for people i hear up to 4 or in one case, even 5 or 6. why is that? i don't understand. my teeth are not too bad, so i'm hoping i'll only have to have them for a year. 1 year, and i can finally get rid of this insecurity

autodial

#11 Post by autodial »

also, i'm thinking...

are braces the only solution to my problem?

can i get my problem fixed through another way? i don't want to wear braces for such an extended period of time. this little problem i have is really my only insecurity. once i get my canine pulled down, i'd like to just jump off the braces bandwagon and put on a retainer and head off into the sunset but i'm sure it's not that easy... i'm happy with the rest of my teeth, but this baby canine thing has to be fixed i'm thinking. i think.

i plan to ask my dentist in a few days what my options are, but maybe you guys can help me out, at least to help calm me and give me some peace, as this has been stressing me out the past couple of days.

59fifty

#12 Post by 59fifty »

age aint that big a problem, it was an issue for me in 20 too. alot of pple at my college have braces and pple i meet at parties, the thing that gets to me is when im with little kids with braces to haha

anyways my teeth moved super fast so i wudnt think it wud take longer than 3 months for that to start being in position

mine only took 1 month and it was pretty bad, not the same case but extreme crowding. Also i would just suggest braces because it will fix ur bite and make u have a better smile

autodial

#13 Post by autodial »

59fifty wrote:age aint that big a problem, it was an issue for me in 20 too. alot of pple at my college have braces and pple i meet at parties, the thing that gets to me is when im with little kids with braces to haha

anyways my teeth moved super fast so i wudnt think it wud take longer than 3 months for that to start being in position

mine only took 1 month and it was pretty bad, not the same case but extreme crowding. Also i would just suggest braces because it will fix ur bite and make u have a better smile
what kind of stuff happened in 1 month?

i don't have extreme crowding or anything. i mean some things can be adjusted, sure, but what i'm focusing on is bringing that adult canine down.. which, i hope can come down within 3 months. maybe 2. see, my baby canine is small anyway... so my smile is kind of crooked, because that tooth is small compared to my other grown in adult canine. so i'm thinking at about a month and a half into it, my adult canine will be half grown into position anyway? that would be great.