I need quick tips how to remove curry stains from braces.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jackie100

I need quick tips how to remove curry stains from braces.

#1 Post by jackie100 »

It's going to be around 2 weeks till I get my brackets etc changed at the ortho and I don't walk around till then with stained braces. They are clear, I'm talking about the parts that the ortho changes every month. Ligs I think. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Please help asap. I need to get it sparkling white asap. I know I shouldn't have eaten curry but I couldn't resist. There must be some solution that will dissolve the stain. I am desperate and will try anything.

And no, I will not call the ortho and ask them to change it just because I stained it. I prefer something I can buy or mix at home. Please help. I am desperate. I cannot talk to people with these stained braces. Help!

browneyedgrl

#2 Post by browneyedgrl »

I have no idea on how to remove curry stains from ligs. I have clear brackets with clear powerchains and a zing string. I'm a coffee drinker and go in every 4 weeks for an adjustment, I'm usually in at the two week mark for a chain change because I can't stand the way they look and I see clients all day long. The staff is usually more than happy to do it. They even ask me when I'm scheduling my next appointment if they're going to see me in two weeks

I know how conscious you must be and I'm the same way too. Most people don't notice or don't care. Just give your ortho a call, don't worry about it. I go in so often that one morning they fit me in first thing and I brought them breakfast ( bagels and cream cheese), they were so appreciative.

Good luck,

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Jaycee uk

#3 Post by Jaycee uk »

A a coffee drinker, curry eater and smoker I had my fair share of staining to deal with but sadly there is no alternative to getting the O rings changed (or not one that I ever found in 9 months of searching).

I was very fortunate as my ortho was brilliant - Initially I used to go every week to get my rings changed and after a few weeks of this he eventually taught me how to do it myself to save both him and me the bother of a visit.

Might be worth asking if your ortho could let you do it yourself? It's really quite easy apart from the very back teeth which are a little more difficult due to their position.

If the staining is bothering you, I would make an appointment to get those rings changed, I'm sure your ortho wouldn't mind.

stacy19201325

#4 Post by stacy19201325 »

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it is impossible to un-stain ligs. You will have to get them replaced or live with the staining till your next adjustment. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, so sorry :( !

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Ditto. Once stained, that's it. They will fade after a few days of brushing, but nothing aside from getting them changed will make them "sparkly white" again. Call your ortho and plead ignorance. They will probably be sympathetic and let you come in to get them changed. If you want, ask about wire ties, although I have heard that not all orthos will let you use them. Obviously they are not clear, but I find that they are still pretty discrete on my clear brackets.

miss25

#6 Post by miss25 »

I dont wear braces...yet. But curry stains dont come out of anything. I grew up eating the stuff ALL the time and thats a little known fact among all those that eat it.

jackie100

#7 Post by jackie100 »

Thanks for all your advice. I will try to get in to have them changed then so they can be sparkling white again.

I brush every day 3x with my Sonicare but they are not turning sparkly white, it's still apparent in natural sunlight and when I look in my mirror with lighting which emulates sunlight. Under normal bathroom lighting it's not that evident but I would rather have it sparkling white.

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Curry is one of the worst offenders. When I had my braces, I only ate curry a few days before I was going to have my ligatures changed. That way, I could still enjoy Indian food but not suffer with off-color looking braces for weeks.

There really is nothing that gets the stain out once it permeates the ligatures.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!