Different Kinds of Retainers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LCARA

Different Kinds of Retainers?

#1 Post by LCARA »

I just got my removal date of April 17, but what they offered for retainers is not what I suspected after reading the forums here.

One option are these invisa-lign looking removable retainers. They said they are in-house specialed.

The other option was a permanent bonded retainer, but they aren't brackets, its just a wire that is cemented on.

Has anyone else heard anything like this? I'm not worried, but curious.

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

The clear Invisalign-type retainer is called an Essex retainer. The other type of removable retainer is a Hawley retainer. This type has a metal wire which goes across the front teeth. Bonded retainers are very common, especially in adults, and especially on the bottom teeth. They are used when the ortho is concerned about relapse. Bonded retainers are replaced with removable ones after a period of time. If you have the choice, I'd go with the Essex retainers and just be very diligent with wearing them.

LCARA

#3 Post by LCARA »

Oh, maybe I did read about Essex on here then.

From the pictures I saw, I thought the bonded retainer looked like smaller solid brackets, but the one I was shown was basically just a wire. What was interesting.

SkyWolf

#4 Post by SkyWolf »

Personally when it came down to retention I refused the bonded retainer for personal reasons and went with hawley ones top and bottom. My braces have been off more than a year and my results are still flawless. No matter what you select you will need to wear them as instructed by your ortho.

fooforever

#5 Post by fooforever »

a bonded retainer has no brackets it is just glued onto the back of your teeth
i have seen some that also have bands on (im guessing to keep it in place)