An issue post braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kirjax

An issue post braces

#1 Post by kirjax »

okay so can't get in to see my hygentist until end of the month although they put me on the cancellation list.

Well ever since braces I always take note to how my teeth look. I'm practically obsessed with looking/cleaning them. Well the other night I took out my retainers and began to brush my teeth and floss when I noticed this brown spot on my molar. Of course I freaked out thinking, "omg this can't be a huge cavity I would of noticed this!" So of course I got my dental mirror and I'm tryingto look but I couldn't tell what it is. I figured there is no way my ortho wouldn't have seen this as he polished my molar or that a cavity could appear just like that (and big) over one night!

Well it dawned on me. I have the Hawley retaner and the clip part that goes on the back molar lays on that molar and right where the clip is is where the discolorin of the tooth is. Could it be that the retainer is kinda like rusting the molar??? Should I be concerned??

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

ohmyjaw

#2 Post by ohmyjaw »

I don't know if it's possible for a retainer to "rust" a tooth... at least I have never heard of such a thing. I have had brown stains appear on my teeth that are not cavities, just de-mineralization. Maybe it could be that?

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax »

okay so I was getting worried and so I called my dentist and told them it was important so they saw me the next day. I got a cleaning and I did all this worrying for nothing....my teeth and gums are fine! The mark on my tooth is a stain (possbly from the retainer or something else). They couldn't remove it but it's on the last molar so you can't see it. He said they will just keep an eye on it at each visit.

So that's a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. After almost 2 years in braces I really wasn't sure if there would be damage after having the braces off but thankfully I was cavity free! And that's great news considering I am also insurance free!

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

invertigofreak

#4 Post by invertigofreak »

OMG thats scary. cause I have a brown mark on my far back molar aswell! I hadn't noticed it until about 2 weeks ago. I tried getting it off with tooth picks, etc... but it won't budge. Mum thinks its a filling... but i dunno. its odd. I've never noticed it before so I don't know

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

I had rust-colored marks on my front teeth after nearly a decade of retainer wear. After the retainer broke (and I didn't get it replaced), I mentioned it to my dentist and he set me up for tooth whitening. Just a short time with the prescription whitening setup (trays and gel), and the marks disappeared.

SirWired

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

yeah this mark is fairly brown and about the size of a ball point pen near my gumline.
It literally appeared about 2 days after wearing the retainer. My dentist isn't sure it's the retainer but really if it is there isn't much I can do. He just said, "make sure you wear that retainer!" lol

So I'll keep an eye on all my teeth as I normally do since I'm pretty obsessed with looking in there! I also have a really small mark on my front tooth but it's so small and so light that you can only see it if you literally were up in my grill :lol:

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009

Jaycee uk

#7 Post by Jaycee uk »

I also made an urgent visit to the denstist recently.. When i was looking at some pics I had taken of my progress, I could see what looked like a huge cavity between my last 2 molars.

My densist ran some xrays and said there is no cavity and that it's just staining plus a bit of shadowing from the metal brackets I have on my molars so hopefulyl it'll go once the brace comes off and I have a hygienist clean :)