spacers-worse than actual braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Abbey70

spacers-worse than actual braces?

#1 Post by Abbey70 »

I had spacers put on this morning (three on both top sides and two on each bottom side). Agony. :oops: In a case of bitter irony, the song on the radio during this torture was "Hurts So Good" by John Cougar Mellencamp. The techs and other patient got a laugh when I pointed that out.

What are eating/cleaning do's and don'ts? I'm already planning to eat a soft dinner (maybe just an ice cream sundae since it's Mardi Gras after all).
Brackets and archwire put on 1/26/09
Spacers 2/24/09
Bands & rewire 3/9/09

kirjax

#2 Post by kirjax »

Well first welcome....and your from West Chester (yay!)

First and foremost spacers for most people (myself included) are by far the worse part about orthodontic treatment!

I know I was in agony the entire time. Even mac n cheese was hard to get down! But it's a great 1 week diet plan ;)

I ended up eating mashpotatoes, applesauce and water ice for my duration in spacers. But trust me once they're out it's a great relief.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

sdawdy

#3 Post by sdawdy »

Welcome and congrats on starting your journey!!!!

the agony of spacers....I don't miss that week at all. Yes you will be on soft foods, i thought that i could eat anything....i was wrong!!! Just think in a week or so when they take them out, you will actually hear your teeth sigh in relief that they are gone!!!! Ok so seriously, they are a big pain in the rear!!!

YUMMMMMM ice cream for dinner....that sounds so good!

SD

acd

#4 Post by acd »

Spacers......the only things that can actually make you feel relieved when your teeth are banded. It's almost like they are a braces test--if you can survive spacers you'll be ok with actual braces. Hang in there because it will get better.

Abbey70

definitely soft foods

#5 Post by Abbey70 »

Luckily I like my Frosted Mini Wheats mushy. My top front left incisor is the most painful.
I guess my ortho did things a little backwards. I had brackets and archwires put on Jan. 26, but they couldn't put the spacers on at that time. I have these rubber-washer things between my back teeth until March 9, when I get my back teeth banded/braced and everything tweaked.
Brackets and archwire put on 1/26/09
Spacers 2/24/09
Bands & rewire 3/9/09

chicago29

#6 Post by chicago29 »

I had spacers prior to fitting my expanders (I recently underwent SARPE and MSDO surgery so I am currently blessed with a hyrax appliance on both my top and bottom jaw).

I have SEVERE crowding on top and bottom arches and I thought the spacers would be terrible. It took the orthodontist 20 minutes to get 12 of them in my mouth!! He said he never has seen contacts that were so tight. I joked with him that he wouldn't have to work out that night!!

It turned out they were not nearly as bad as I thought. I had to eat a couple of soft meals, but honestly I had myself worked up over nothing. The only time there was any discomfort was when you are eating. I'm crossing my fingers that braces will be the same way when I get them on...

I know others have had worse experiences with spacers, but if it gets too bad take an OTC pain killer and you should be OK. Also, take it easy on the food and take steak off the menu for the next few days!

Good luck to you...and congratulations on getting started.

-Chicago29

evelinany

#7 Post by evelinany »

I had spacers for a week and I didn't like it... I could not chew with those teeth because it hurt so much... it id get better I think by like the 6th day... but on the 7th day I got them out and they put braces in. The braces feel really weird but don't hurt as much.

rak

#8 Post by rak »

For me, the first day was perfectly normal... and then... the 3 following days were agony! My teeth were really sensitive and I had to puree all my food :cry: .
Afterwards the pain went away, but I always felt I had a big piece of food stuck between the teeth and I couldn't get it out :lol:
It was a great relief when they came out, a week latter.

Good luck :D

* 30.01.09: spacers
* 16.02.09: nance holding arch
* 3.03.09: upper braces (ceramic)
* 11.03.09: upper premolars extraction