2nd day with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lisak17

2nd day with braces

#1 Post by lisak17 »

Ok seriously - is this going to feel like this for the next 2 years?? Before getting them on I was obsessed with the vanity piece to the whole thing because I am 38. Now I could care less about how I look - my concern is how they feel. I never thought it would feel this strange. My lips feel like they are protruding 2 feet from my face, it feels like these things are going to rip open the insides of my lips, I feel them 24/7 in my mouth, eating is horrible, etc. etc. Should I go on? It is not the pain I am worried about - it is just the uncomfortableness of these things in my mouth!

Do I ever forget they are not there? Will I ever be able to enjoy my food like a normal person? Help - feeling very discouraged.

Lisa :(

markGl

#2 Post by markGl »

Its okay lisa, heh i had that feeling of looking like a monkey with my braces on ( the whole thick lips look ) i had mine on for about 9 months or so and yes the feeling does go away.. sooner for others more than later.. and yes the pain will go away.. its going to hurt your cheeks till they roughen up a bit, eating will calm down and eventually an adjustment will just be 1 day of tenderness as your teeth get used to all the moving... so yes go on... trust me give it about 2 or 3 months.. and youll hardly notice them.. you get used to it quick.. just stick in their!!!! no you wont ever forget they're there, but they wont bother you nearly as much, to hardly at all, the outcome will be so worth it, so it wont matter once its done :D

Andromeda

#3 Post by Andromeda »

It really does get better. I had my top braces on for a few months before the bottoms and it seemed like just as I was getting used to it, I got the bottom ones on and it was like going through it all over again. I know what you mean about the lips feeling like they are sticking out but that feeling did go away. I still have trouble sometimes keeping my lips completely shut especially when I try to smile with no teeth showing - the braces poke through and separate my lips anyway a little bit. But it just seems normal now. With food, it does get much better also. It's obviously not the same as eating without the braces because you may not be able to just bite into some things and theres always that uncomfortable feeling of having half your food still in your mouth/braces after you've swallowed... but I mean I can still eat pretty much anything I want - I don't hold back except with really hard carmels and stuff and I've never had any brackets break or any problems.

A lot of people say that they do completely forget the braces are there sometimes, but I don't. I think it really depends on the person. Like you said you don't really care about how they look anymore, just how they feel... but even after a year I still really do care about how they look so I'm constantly remembering them when I'm talking to someone or especially eating in front of people. But everyone is different and I would do it all again if I could go back in time. Even in the times when I was really down or discouraged or in pain, I never once had regrets because this is something I've wanted for a long time. Just give yourself time to adjust - it's not gonna happen overnight but slowly you will start to feel less bothered by them and be used to the inconveniences.

lisak17

#4 Post by lisak17 »

Thank you for all the encouraging words:)

Waiting2BeFabulous

#5 Post by Waiting2BeFabulous »

lisak,

If it helps, I've only had my braces on for 12 days and the worst of it for me WAS the first 2 or 3 days. Each day gets somewhat better. In quiet times, it's all I think about and yeah, I'm very aware of them. When I'm too busy at work or having fun doing something I don't think about them as much at all. I also have a Nance appliance in and would much rather be rid of it than the brackets, to be honest. I have felt no pressure or pain since the 3rd day. In fact, sometimes I WISH I felt a little pressure just so I knew they were moving, lol. I suppose I'll eat those words after my first adjustment...

Eating got better for me with the braces, but not the Nance. If you don't have one of those, I think you'll start to feel more "normal" soon. If it's any (lame) consolation, I DO think about what they look like more than I think about what they feel like...now.

evelinany

#6 Post by evelinany »

Haha.. I feel your pain! I just got mine today and I never imagined it would feel like it does... it is so awkward.. It's kinda hard to keep my lips closed because I have an underbite... plus it makes my underbite look worse =/ ugh..
But still, after so many years, I can't believe I am finally doing this and am so excited!!!!!!!!

emee

#7 Post by emee »

hey lisa i got my braces on monday too so feel your pain! first day wasnt too bad but yesterday and today my teeth are really sore and gums feel like they are being shredded. feeling a bit self concious too at work etc because i can't talk properly hoping it will get better as the days go on....

Mikee11187

#8 Post by Mikee11187 »

aww man! i remember feeling that. The pain will go away in no time. I had braces for about a year already and sometimes i forget they are even there...but cant wait to get them off!

Tommm

#9 Post by Tommm »

I've only had mine for a month and it would feel weird NOT to have them on right now! You just get used to it, and if you're crazy like me you might just start to like having them on (?) :)

xTc

#10 Post by xTc »

Honestly you won't notice them at all after a while.. it's all about adjusting to a foreign object in your mouth.

Haha I didn't mean that to sound rude :oops:

BraceFaceAt48

#11 Post by BraceFaceAt48 »

Having lived through 1 month in upper braces and had my first adjustment, my memories are very current.

Looking back, my first week with legos on my teeth was the worse. At the end of the first week, I weaned myself off of wax & week 2 was without it totally. I had sleepless nights & thoughts that I had made a BIG mistake. Looking back, one weeks worth of misery was not that bad. While I was experiencing it though, it was h_ _ _. Hope it is a short bout for you too.

The product KANKA works wonders for cancer sores. I numbs the area & gives much relief. It surprised me how quickly my jaws toughened up.

And if it's any consolation, my first adjustment wasn't that bad. The first week of legos was the worse so far. Good luck! :lol:

Jewles

#12 Post by Jewles »

I think for me the first 5 days were the worst, like having a mouth full of nuts and bolts! But it DOES get easier! after 7 weeks i dont even notice them and i often think to myself they are so much more comfortable than i ever expected them to be :) give yourself time and you'll be so excited by the movement that youll forget all about the forst few days of hell

lisak17

#13 Post by lisak17 »

It really gets easier? I think to myself that there is no way adults would keep these things on the teeth for 2 years if it felt like this the entire time. But then I think, I can't stand this 1 more day. Please don't think I am a sissy, because it really doesn't have that much to do with the pain. It is the discomfort, awkwardness and not being able to eat that is getting me down!
Ceramic self-ligating 2/23/09

BraceFaceAt48

#14 Post by BraceFaceAt48 »

Have you tried chewing sugarless gum? My ortho recommended it & it helps to work the soreness out. I CHEW CHEW CHEW! :-*

Lela

#15 Post by Lela »

I don't know if I will ever get to the point where I forget I have braces, but I haven't given up hope :D

I think I am in the minority but it has been 6 months and I still have not adjusted fully. It seems something is always poking or rubbing, my lips still get stuck on the brackets and more days then not they drive me crazy.

Eating is normal though. Maybe even better then normal since I can now chew properly. :wink:
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09