Braces are off! Pics included. :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

overseasmel

Braces are off! Pics included. :)

#1 Post by overseasmel »

I was debanded on 23 February. Welcome to the new, braceless me!:

Image Image Image

You can see some of the brutalising of my gums that happened during the 2.5 hour "why is it always difficult to do things to your mouth, Mel?" debanding session. I've got generalised swelling and soreness and few ugly bumps. But oh well, they still look rather better than the 'before' shots(!). Here's what my teeth looked like after I'd had an expander for 8 months or so:

Image Image Image

They weren't quiiiiite that terrible visually before the expander, but they were still pretty bad. I don't have proper pictures of then, but I’ll try to find one. Basically I just looked like I had a little mouth, and fangs. :)

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

jenny101101

#2 Post by jenny101101 »

Wow, you're teeth look fantastic!!! Congrats!! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Waiting2BeFabulous

#3 Post by Waiting2BeFabulous »

Your smile is GORGEOUS!

So....do you miss them, now that they're off? ;-)

pearls

#4 Post by pearls »

Oh my goodness! What a transformation! Your teeth are absolutely perfect. I bet you are incredibly happy with the results.

Enjoy your new lovely smile!
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

danish

#5 Post by danish »

nice work! I'm soooooooooo jealous....! :wink:

Enjoy your freedom! :thumbsup:

Danish
metal braces on: 4 Oct 2007
Tx for: crowding
debonded on: 24 Jun 2009

total treatment time: 629 days

my journey ==> http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

Andromeda

#6 Post by Andromeda »

Really awesome results! I am curious if you had to have a bonded retainer on your top teeth? I had the same problem with the "fangs" where they were raised up too high and I saw a couple posts on here somewhere where people were talking about that issue and how removable retainers can only stop horizontal movement but not vertical movement so the fangs started drifting up again even with constant retainer wear. I really really don't want a bonded retainer but I also don't want my fangs to move back up either... I'm getting closer to my release date so I'm just curious what they did for you. Thanks and congrats on your new beautiful smile :D

kirjax

#7 Post by kirjax »

awesome results!!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

acd

#8 Post by acd »

Congratulations! Your teeth look fantastic!!

Miss Smiley

#9 Post by Miss Smiley »

Beautiful pearlie whites Mel!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

sdawdy

#10 Post by sdawdy »

Your teeth look great!!!! Congrats on getting debanded! If you could do one thing for me that I miss the most....is bite into an apple for me.....

overseasmel

#11 Post by overseasmel »

Thanks guys. :D

I've enjoyed my first couple of days of naked teeth. I haven't really got stuck into apples or anything like that as my gums are still a bit swollen and my molars are grumpy, but they are definitely on the list. Mostly I have been enjoying being able to eat strongly coloured foods and drink after over 2 years with clear brackets. Bring on the tumeric! It's funny though - I got so used to eating things sooo carefully (possibly why I never lost a bracket, popped a wire, or damaged any part of my braces at all) that now I have to try and teach myself to eat 'normally' again!

waiting2be: I don't miss the braces, no, although I still don't feel like my smile looks like my smile, if you know what I mean!

Andromeda: I actually have an Essix for both my uppers and lowers. My orthodontist didn't really raise the possibility that of vertical movement with my canines, so hopefully for whatever reason he thinks that's not going to happen. He did say that if there was minor shifting we could always move to Hawley and achieve some realignment that way.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

rak

#12 Post by rak »

Amazing smile :D !! Congratulations on your "freedom"!

* 30.01.09: spacers
* 16.02.09: nance holding arch
* 3.03.09: upper braces (ceramic)
* 11.03.09: upper premolars extraction

mg

#13 Post by mg »

Terrific!

You were braced for quite some time. I'm (I hope) about 1/2 way through the process and look forward to naked teeth like yours!

Congrats!

Mary

Feb 12 '08: Full Metal Upper & Lower
Mar 04 '08: TPA until crossbite is corrected
Feb 03 '09: TPA removed: out of crossbite!!
Feb 12 '10: Sentence 24 months give or take
Sep 21 '09: BRACES REMOVED!!

kirjax

#14 Post by kirjax »

although I still don't feel like my smile looks like my smile, if you know what I mean!
omg I am so glad I'm not the only one feeling like this!! I too spend so much time in the mirror thinking, "wow your smile is huge!" lol

I love my teeth but I'm still getting used to it. I was so used to the old me and then the braced me for almost 2 years so I guess it will take time for me to be okay that this is the "new" me!!! It still just feels wierd smiling and seeing how much broader my smile has gotten.

What did your ortho tell u about retainers?? I was told 24/7 - but never given a time frame. I have to go back in 6 weeks for a retainer check and then I'm hoping to just wear them at night. Also when you take your retainers out do your teeth feel sensitive for a little while? My do. But it wears off after eating. Just feels funky to pop them out and have your teeth feel like they did when you got a brace adjustment!

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

kirjax

#15 Post by kirjax »

I think I just realized that I have the hawley retainer not the essix. I am not sure they never told me lol. It's the one you pop in with the bar across the front of the teeth?? Is that essix or hawley?

Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009