Filing my teeth... is it painful, and should I do it????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dugsmom

Filing my teeth... is it painful, and should I do it????

#1 Post by dugsmom »

I posted this under the "Slendering" post but I think my reply and question is going to get lost so I am reposting my question here.
Is slendering the same as filing the teeth??? My ortho just told me yesterday (actually he asked if it was fine with me and without thinking or asking questions I blurted out Yes...now i regret not asking ?'s) that he wanted to file " just a little bit" between my top front teeth and between some other teeth on top so that he could close the triangular spaces...is this normal??? I've got some pretty LARGE triangular spaces so it would be nice to get it fixed but I am a bit nervous...will my teeth look skinny after it's done? Anybody have photos after they had this procedure done??

lindesd

It is Absoultely Fine

#2 Post by lindesd »

I had it done a couple of times on my two-front teeth due to a triangular gap (I had a cross bite for years/two front teeth crossed). Anyway, the gap is gone, it was pain free and I have not suffered any repercussions from it. I think it was worth it and definitely better than a big triangular gap in-between my front teeth.

Hope that helps!

Stacey

lindesd

One more thing.

#3 Post by lindesd »

One more thing. They take a little off at a time. It took me two visits to close the gap. I can't even tell a difference in the shape or the size of my teeth and they don't look smaller.

Again, I think it is due to the fact that they take off very small amounts. I really do think you will be glad you did it.

kirjax

#4 Post by kirjax »

My friend had it done on the bottom and she regretted it. She said it made her teeth thinner and more sensitive. However she's really the only one I know who has regret about it. Most people on here seem to be fine with the decision. I really wanted it done myself but my ortho didn't do it.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

jenny101101

#5 Post by jenny101101 »

I had it done my last adjustment and it didn't hurt at all, although it smelled a little funny. I have teeth that gradually get larger at the bottom(top arch)so I have quite noticable black triangles up near the gumline. It has made my teeth look more uniform and I have no regrets. I still have to have a little more done at my next adjustment and that's just fine with me but it's a personnel preference I guess. I have pics on my "journal". Just click on the WWW at the bottom of my post and check out before and afters on pages 14-16/17, I think.

Good luck! :D
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

Clairey Fairey

#6 Post by Clairey Fairey »

I had it done to create space, but just make sure your ortho doesn't go overboard coz mine created a gap she couldn't close without going right up into the gum and filing at the root!!

Doesn't hurt - unless they end up filing above the gum.

Otherwise my teeth still looked ok, not thin,