TEMPORARY REMOVAL OF BRACES

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jill52

TEMPORARY REMOVAL OF BRACES

#1 Post by Jill52 »

I'm interested to hear from anyone who has had, or is planning to have their braces removed temporarily. I have arranged with my ortho to have mine taken off for 6 weeks in July while I go on a trip. I am wondering if anyone else has done this. How long was it for? Did your teeth move a lot while the braces were off? How long did it set back your length of treatment? Any details or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Braced March 20 2008
12 - 15 months

LCARA

#2 Post by LCARA »

Why do you want them off? For aesthetic reasons?

Seems kind of counter productive, from stories on here I hear of peoples teeth shifting back after a week or so between the time of getting their retainer and their braces off...

thisisme

#3 Post by thisisme »

Pretty much miming what LCARA said...

From what I've read, teeth can and do move in as little as a week.

I am also curious why you want them off for your trip? :)

CactusZAF

#4 Post by CactusZAF »

I don't get the point of what you want to have them removed for ,Jill(sorry). Perhaps you could give us some idea why it's so important to have them removed for six weeks (this is less than my normal adjustment interval), I wouldn't wish having braces re-bonded again on anyone if it could be avoided, I did not enjoy the experience of having the ortho and assistant fiddling around in my mouth for ages while I had my mouth held unnaturally wide open. That is not even to mention the debanding, which from what I've read in less than the most pleasant experience in the world. Don't get me wrong, I'd do t all again, no question, but why double up on the unpleasant parts of treatment?
As I said, I'm sure I've missed something here, so please clarify for the sake of understanding.

kirjax

#5 Post by kirjax »

I agree I would never want to have my braces rebonded. I have no regrets but I'll NEVER go through this process ever again lol! The sitting there with my mouth spread open for an hour, while my lips were begging to be free, having to get used to the feeling of them rubbing up against my gums and lps! ....no thanks!!

There were times I wish I didn't have them on but I never would of taken them off for any reason. Nobody cared that I had braces.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

rolo

#6 Post by rolo »

If you have ceramic (clear brackets) could you just have the archwire and ligatures removed? Or if it was for a wedding maybe just have the brackets on the teeth that would show removed? You could ask for an essix type retainer I think they are about £50 UK, if you were worried about movement

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

I wouldn't recommend removing braces for that long a period of time, because I believe it could interfere with your treatment. I've heard of having them removed for a week or two for a wedding or other very important event. But six week...seems to me that it would not be wise. I hope that your ortho has given you some sort of retainer to wear (at least at night) during those weeks!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

dml

#8 Post by dml »

Hi Jill52,
I had my braces removed for 3 months, I did have retainers for this period. As for time setting me back with my treatment, it is the time they were off (3 months) & about another 3months to get back to the original archwire that I was on.
I did not remove the molar bands or the brackets on the very back molars, this made the rebonding of the brackets about 20 minutes, so the lip stretcher was not so bad.
It would be great if you let me know why you will be removing your braces.

Cheers
dml

Flaka

off for a week?

#9 Post by Flaka »

I was wondering the same thing. What if is for a wedding? Will removing the upper social 6 or 8 for a week will be too much? Is it too much to ask for? :oops:

newsboysgrl777

#10 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Flaka, I told my ortho I was getting married next year (which is now THIS YEAR) when I was originally thinking of getting braces. She told me that she can take off the front ones (I'm going to assume the front FOUR or maybe 6, but def not 8?) and give me a clear retainer so there would be no braces showing.

Fast forward 7 to 8 months when I asked her AGAIN (just to make sure) if I could have the top taken off for my wedding, she said yes again. I told her the month of my wedding and she wrote it on my folder, and I can only assume I'm to remind her when it draws closer. I do feel sort of bad that they'll have to give me an essix retainer just for this purpose (b/c it's my understanding that they're custom made so that's like quite a few trips to the ortho, no?), but I don't want braces showing in my pics. I HAD thought about just taking out the wire, but on any close-up shots, you'd be able to see them and I'd love to have the option of close-ups if I want.

That being said, if my ortho seems so non-chalant about it, it seems like it's not that huge of a deal to ask your ortho about this. It's a pain to take the brackets off (I had to have one de-bonded, repositioned, and re-bonded and couldn't believe what I had to go through to get the bracket taken off!!), but you ARE the patient and so they should be willing to at least entertain your idea, if not accommodate you.

Is this for YOUR wedding? Or will you be a guest? I realized after I said all this that it wouldn't make sense to be de-braced if you're just a guest (or even IN the wedding party, just not the bride/groom). Good luck!!

kirjax

#11 Post by kirjax »

Just wondering but has anyone asked their photographer if they can photoshop the braces off? I've heard of it being done before. I mean I am not sure how expensive it is but it can't be too hard. I get the whole not wanting to have them when being married but it just seems to be more of a hassle.

I do know someone whose sister had hers removed simply for her senior portraits and they were put back on a few days later! I can't even count how many folks have braces on in my year book! I don't see it (Esp at that age) as being a huge deal. The wedding well I guess to each their own ;)

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

newsboysgrl777

#12 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

kirjax wrote:Just wondering but has anyone asked their photographer if they can photoshop the braces off? I've heard of it being done before. I mean I am not sure how expensive it is but it can't be too hard. I get the whole not wanting to have them when being married but it just seems to be more of a hassle.

I do know someone whose sister had hers removed simply for her senior portraits and they were put back on a few days later! I can't even count how many folks have braces on in my year book! I don't see it (Esp at that age) as being a huge deal. The wedding well I guess to each their own ;)
Kirjax,

This is something I'm going back and forth about. Like, how obvious would they be vs. the hassel of removal, etc., but I think it all comes down to wanting to be ME, you know? A photographer can do a great job of photoshopping, I'm sure, but I'll bet there are some angles and some lighting situations that it'd be almost impossible to get 100%. Also, I'm hoping to have video, so even if I don't have the arch wire in (and I do have ceramic uppers), there's still a LOT of 'stuff' poking out of my mouth (the brackets are rather large) and I think I'd rather have my teeth be naked for that day. ;) BUT, like you said - to each his/her own!! :)

Feelingbad

Re: TEMPORARY REMOVAL OF BRACES

#13 Post by Feelingbad »

It is better to have one week off to the braces so that we can enjoy our food nicely.

i took my braces one week before badly missing my biryani parties etc