the tie is coming loose???????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

the tie is coming loose???????

#1 Post by blindboarder2008 »

so i was doing a regular cleaning of my teeth today. i have 4 surgical stainless steel ties on the top front teeth (one on each tooth). Anywayz i was going along cleaning with my interdontal proxy brush aka christmas tree brush when suddently i felt something weird on the front tooth. i looked in the magnified mirror that i have and sure enough something was different between the tie next to that tooth. there is like a peice of the tie sticking out and if i touch it with my finger or my tounge it moves around. what are the chances of the tie coming loose??????/ after realizing something was wrong i realized the tie may be rubbing against my tooth or the top of my mouth so i put dental wax over top of it. i called and left a message at the ortho office. I really hope the tie isn't coming loose!!!!!! any thoughts??? or do you think it could be just a bit of a n extra peice that i didn't know about??
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Jill52

#2 Post by Jill52 »

Hi there, I have metal ties too. There is always a piece that is folded back and out of the way. It could be that you moved it with your brush. I have done that before now. I usually push it back with the eraser end of a pencil. Mine are pretty well twisted up when they are put on, so I would be very surprised if one ever came loose. But you never know. I would pop into your ortho to check it out. I have had the end of a powerchain come off. I just waited for my next appointment since it was only a week away. Good luck.
Braced March 20 2008
12 - 15 months

Jill52

#3 Post by Jill52 »

Hi there, I have metal ties too. There is always a piece that is folded back and out of the way. It could be that you moved it with your brush. I have done that before now. I usually push it back with the eraser end of a pencil. Mine are pretty well twisted up when they are put on, so I would be very surprised if one ever came loose. But you never know. I would pop into your ortho to check it out. I have had the end of a powerchain come off. I just waited for my next appointment since it was only a week away. Good luck.
Braced March 20 2008
12 - 15 months

blindboarder2008

#4 Post by blindboarder2008 »

hi jill: i went into my ortho this morning and he decided to take the front ties off and switch them over to power chains because he wants to close a few gaps that the ties created it. are power chains painful? it doesn't feel to bad right now but he said something to the affect that I'd feel it tomorrow? does this mean they are painful or??/
ps; for those of you who are curious i'm still surgery ready and the dental surgeon should be calling any day now!!! maybe he'll call today lol lol maybe lol
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Andromeda

#5 Post by Andromeda »

About the powerchains... you know I have always heard they are painful and the assistant who put mine on said it would get pretty sore, but it never did. It was really weird because it was the gray/silver powerchain which is the strongest they have and regular archwire changes always make me so sore so I was expecting it to be bad, but I never experienced any pain at all. I don't know if it even moved my teeth because I didn't notice any spaces to begin with so the teeth looked the same to me after the powerchain came off... I guess it just depends on how strong the powerchain is and how much space it is trying to close.

blindboarder2008

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

hi andromeda: i am not sure how strong the powerchains are: i know that they are white and of the sam material as eleastics or something close to that. There are on all of my front teeth. I have little spaces inbetween my front teeth thanks to the ties that i had on so the powerchain is closing them up and then pushing the front teeth. so far it hasn't been to bad. what scares me though the orthodontist said it will be soar tomorrow just as i was leaving so hopefully it won't get to much soarer cause its not to to bad right now.

thanks though for the information!