Why do Elastics have animals/animal names on the bags?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

naturegirl

Why do Elastics have animals/animal names on the bags?

#1 Post by naturegirl »

Why do Elastics have animals/animal names on the bags? I started wearing elastics tonight, but have wondered about this ever since I saw my friends' bags of elastics in high school. I'm just curious if there's anything to it. :)

LCARA

#2 Post by LCARA »

I think its to identify the different sizes, and they arent all animals.

My first bag were called mexico, and now I'm using dwights apparently.

But yeah, I think its the size.

SilentReader

#3 Post by SilentReader »

I think it's to make it easier for children to identify considering that the majority of orthodontist patients are children.
Children won't remember the amount of force or size of their elastics and so animals make it easier for the children to recognize the elastics and can remind their orthodontist which size elastic they are using when asked.

Andromeda

#4 Post by Andromeda »

I wore elastics for a few weeks last year and mine didn't have animal names. I know the one size was called Switzerland, and the other was a country too but can't remember what it was.

sdawdy

#5 Post by sdawdy »

I had tortouis in the past and now I am wearing Fred!

acd

#6 Post by acd »

I've currently got a Stockholm going from my upper right lateral to my lower left lateral. At night I've got Koreas in a box around my canines and 1st premolars on both sides. I've got few left over Buenos Aires from last month as well.

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Yeah, I've got animals too--rams at the moment. (I've also heard of people having cities.) Clever idea on the manufacturer's part. Even as an adult I doubt I'm going to remember the size elastic I need. When I need more I just say, "I need rams."

EmbraceMe

#8 Post by EmbraceMe »

I'm wearing Thailand :lol:

Damn, their strong, lol!

TigerLily

#9 Post by TigerLily »

Well my Kangaroo ones seem very springy...and my Rams are really strong!

EmbraceMe

#10 Post by EmbraceMe »

TigerLily wrote:Well my Kangaroo ones seem very springy...and my Rams are really strong!
Well, then can I have some of your Kangaroo's! :P I would like springy right now!

These are so strong that I struggle to even fit a tylenol in there, and when I talk I have to grit my teeth. and it puts tremendous pressure on my neck and jaw. Ouch!

TigerLily

#11 Post by TigerLily »

Ouch... I feel your pain.

You dont want my elastics though. I have to wear two rams on either side as well as a kangaroo on each side. At night I have to put a penguin on in a way which means I can't open my mouth.

I hate elastics. I find that if I don't use my mouth for a while it can really hurt e.g at work ill be working away on my computer for a couple of hour without drinking or talking then someone asks me a question and I speak,I nearly say ouch. Also I wake up in the night and I am clenching my teeth together and I feel like crying.

But hey they work.

allisun

#12 Post by allisun »

Am I the only one with just... colors? I have greens and reds... kinda sounds like street drugs, haha! I wish mine were animals!

Jewles

#13 Post by Jewles »

i have parrots :P very very springy, i can open my mouth as far as it goes without them snapping

Flaka

#14 Post by Flaka »

I have been in Quails since day 1 and Parrots since last October.

Yolanda

#15 Post by Yolanda »

i have a speedy looking rabbit - i hope they are speedy :)