Rotating Teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Megan11

Rotating Teeth

#1 Post by Megan11 »

Generally speaking, how do ortho's rotate teeth? What tools/techniques are used to get the tooth rotated to its proper position?

And do you need to go the tooth aligned first, before you rotate it?

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

My ortho used a powerchain to rotate one of my premolars, which wasn't aligned at the time.

Maverick

#3 Post by Maverick »

Tooth rotation can start with just Elastic Ligatures on the wire.

Powerchains can also be used to rotate and ligature placement can be used (Lig on only one half of the bracket).

Soworththeeffort

#4 Post by Soworththeeffort »

In addition to powerchains (attached horizontally to the archwire), and elastics (attached in many, many different configurations to brackets), your orthodontist may also crimp your archwire to rotate a tooth. (I'm not sure what the criteria is for using elastics and/or powerchains versus crimping the archwire - my orthodontist has used all three different techniques to rotate the same tooth....maybe they just keep trying different ones until one works?) Hope this helps.

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

I see now, thanks for the replies. I was under the impression that power chains were strictly for closing gaps...I guess I learn something new everyday ha.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

sdawdy

rotate teeth

#6 Post by sdawdy »

Because my teeth are so freaking stubborn, my ortho tried

Springs
Power chains
and finally, had a rubberband from the back of the tooth to the front of the tooth on the top....really weird feeling at first....

funshine

#7 Post by funshine »

I had a really badly rotated tooth. My ortho used a button for a couple of months and then moved to a regular bracket. It turned around first and then moved into place.