Has anyone heard of having a braces allergy

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wendypiperkulak

Has anyone heard of having a braces allergy

#1 Post by Wendypiperkulak »

My daughter got braces last month. She has been wanting them for years to straighten her teeth, so finally got them on with great joy. (strange, I know!)
Since she has received them, she has developed some concerning stomach problems that have gradually gotten worse over the month. This week she has been tested for most of the common stomach problems. Parasite, infection, Chrones, Celiac Disease, bacteria. Everything has turned up negative. Which is nice, but is not solving her stomach issue.
Can she be allergic to the metal in the braces, or the retainer?
Has anyone heard of anything similiar?

roost22

#2 Post by roost22 »

If she is not chewing her food and just biting and swallowing things whole, which I find myself doing maybe that is causing digestive problems. On the other front, yes you can be allergic to metals such as nickle which I am and have only been braced for a couple of weeks but I do have a nickle titanium wire so I am nervous about this.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

Soworththeeffort

#3 Post by Soworththeeffort »

I found some links discussing allergies to braces, but the symptoms described don't seem to match those you've described - mostly related to skin-based reactions, even asthma (stomach problems can be related to anaphylaxis, but I think if your daughter was having an anaphylactic reaction, there would be lots of other symptoms too).

http://www.bracesinfo.com/bad4apples.htm

http://www.bracesinfo.com/parents4.html#alergic

I like your approach to figuring out the problem, though - you may just want to go to a more detailed level of analysis. For example, take a look at all the changes in your daughter's environment since she got her braces. Is she using new products related to the braces, e.g., floss, mouthwash, toothpaste? Has anything else changed (not related to the braces)? I'd expect that potentially she's eating different foods - perhaps a food allergy has developed? Maybe she's stressed, anxious, etc. because of the braces? That can mess with your stomach as well.

You may want to try acidolphilus, and see if that offers her any relief. (If you try acidolphilus, only get the refrigerated kind.) Best of luck.

Wendypiperkulak

#4 Post by Wendypiperkulak »

Thank you for the links. I will look at them. I am also going to look at what the symptoms are of the anaphylactic reaction.
Her stomach issues became quite severe last week that involved blood in her stools. As everything is coming back negative so far, more tests are being done next week, but in the meantime I am trying to look at everything she has done differently since this all started. Looking in all directions you could say.
Thanks again for your suggestions. I am going to follow up on those.

Shutter

#5 Post by Shutter »

roost22 wrote:If she is not chewing her food and just biting and swallowing things whole, which I find myself doing maybe that is causing digestive problems. .
I will echo this as a possible cause.

I have been braced for just over a month, and I find myself swallowing food whole quite a bit. I know that I shouldn't, but swallowing big chunks just seems easier then chewing when your teeth are sore. Whenever I do that, I end up with a stomach ache. I have had to re-train myself to chew my food.

Another possible cause - is your daughter taking a lot of ibuprofin (or similar OTC pain medication) to relieve the pain from the braces? Ibuprofin can definitely cause stomach problems - this something to talk with your ortho or doctor about.

Finally, I would echo the recommedation to take acidphilus - it will help replenish the good bacteria that your daughter needs in her large intestine. I would also suggest trying digestive enzymes, which will help with the food digestive process (especially important if your daughter isn't chewing her food very well). Both products can be purchased at any health food store.

Best of luck in finding a solution.

[/url]

[/url]

Click on www below to see my braces story.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

best of luck finding a solution. Those are all great solutions up above and hopeuflly you'll be able to figure out whatz goin on and find a solution. Keep us updated!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

bbsadmin

#7 Post by bbsadmin »

In addition to a metal (nickle or copper) allergy/intolerance, she may be allergic to latex in the elastics. You should ask her orthodontist to research the materials in her braces, to see whether there is any copper, nickle, or latex. There are a lot of different types of brackets and non-latex elastics he can get for her instead.

However, you say that there is blood in her stool. That is very serious, and you shouldn't mess around with that. A gastroenterologist can provide further tests, such as a colonoscopy or an endoscopy. You should have her keep a food and symptom journal to help you pinpoint whether a certain food or food group is causing a problem. She should also probably be watched to ensure that she doesn't become anemic or that her white blood cell count doesn't get abnormally high (which usually indicates an infection).

Do any digestive problems, such as Crohn's Disease or IBS run in your family? Did she go out of the country anytime in the past 6 months and perhaps "pick up" some sort of problem?

Was she on antibiotics anytime in the past few months? Sometimes antibiotics can wipe out all the good bacteria and cause severe digestive and intestinal problems, even if it has been months since the antibiotics were finished. This happened to me, and because of that, I always eat a lot of yogurt when I'm on antibiotics. A drug called Flagil usually reverses the problem quickly.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Wendypiperkulak

#8 Post by Wendypiperkulak »

Thank you everyone for your input with this situation. I have spoken with her ortho asking if he has heard of any allergic reactions to metal, or the latex and he has pretty much stated the same thing as I am reading online. Metal allergies would be confined to the mouth/lip areas and latex is the swelling of cheeks, etc.

She has been tested for Crohns, celiac disease, infections, bacteria, and parasites. Negative to all of this. The next round of tests will start next week. I will still be mentioning to her doctors next week that the coincidence with the braces and this illness starting is interesting. Maybe request some allergy tests?
Acidophilis has been started and I am going to mention chewing her food more to see if that helps, and we have started a food journal.
Thanks again
The next doctor appointment is Tues 23, and I will post the doctors response to my braces allergy question

Soworththeeffort

#9 Post by Soworththeeffort »

Good luck, honey. Let us know how she does. Take care.

Susie R

#10 Post by Susie R »

Is it possible your daughter is having second thoughts about the braces? You didn't mention her age but perhaps someone at school is giving her a hard time.
I have a friend who was allergic to the latex bands. Keep after it.

Andromeda

#11 Post by Andromeda »

If you're really worried it's the braces, maybe you should have them taken off for a bit and monitor of there is any change in her stomach issues. If not, then it's not the braces and have them put back on. I know braces means a lot to her, as they do to most of us here, but I wouldn't put that above such a serious health issue as what you've described...

miss25

#12 Post by miss25 »

She could be allergic to the latex. I would really really suggest going to an allergist if you have not already and just get her tested for different allergies. Allergies can develop at any age. She my be allergic to dairy, eggs, ect. You can be fine all your life and even develop these allergies as an adult so any thing is possible.

The tests are very easy and fast. They can do a skin prick test and blood tests.

mickiwllms

Re: Has anyone heard of having a braces allergy

#13 Post by mickiwllms »

**looking for a potential update on your daughter. I know it has been a few years for you, but I found this blog in my research. My son is experiencing all of the same symptoms and has had his braces for 8 weeks. Have had all of the same tests run on him with no findings.

bbsadmin

#14 Post by bbsadmin »

My advice would be to start with the simplest solution. Change his rubber bands (ligatures) to non-latex and see if that helps. If another few days go by and he's still having symptoms, then see about changing the brackets and wires to a non-allergic metal.

Sometimes allergy tests show false negatives and false positives. Frustrating but true.

Remember, if his throat begins to swell up or if he begins to wheeze, you must get medical attention immediately. Anaphylaxis is nothing to play around with; it could turn deadly very quickly.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Voys

#15 Post by Voys »

I don’t know if you still use this but did you discover what your daughter has and if you do please tell me because I am going through the same problem I really wanna know what I have that’s been giving me these awful stomach aches