HELP! REALLY bad tooth sensitivity!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dovechild20

HELP! REALLY bad tooth sensitivity!!!

#1 Post by Dovechild20 »

OMG, ok, so this is the FIRST time in my whole 30 months of treatment that my teeth have been THIS sensitive (i get debanded in less than a month, how's THAT for late sensitivity). And all my online researching and searching this board comes up with stuff like "brush your teeth with sensitive toothpaste and over time it will go away".

OK, but how about, im STARVING and can hardly swallow a breath of AIR without cringing like someone kicked in my front teeth (where its most sensitive) and im HUNGRY! Did i mention that i am starving!?

Anything from ice cold water (of course, duh!) to just a regular piece of bread hurts my teeth. Exposing my smile for 5 seconds hurts!

What do i do NOW! I can't holla at a dentist because my insurance doesnt kick in until the first of the year and i cant wait for a toothpaste to work "over time" because I'll starve to death!

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

DireWire

#2 Post by DireWire »

Two options:

1) Go to a dentist. They have a fluoride liquid that blocks the channels in the dentine. Usually, one application should do the trick, with great pain relief within hours. You can repeat the exercise if some sensitivity remains.

2) Go to a Walgreens or a CVS and look for Orajel Tooth Desensitizer (or so). I'm not sure it is as good as the dentist stuff, but basically doing a similar thing. Costs less than $10 and works as quickly if not quicker. I think it is more like a film over the tooth, not a blocking of the channels.

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

Megan11

#3 Post by Megan11 »

I don't know from personal experience but my brother had EXTREME tooth sensitivity/pain and he used Anbesol and said it worked great. I am pretty sure you can get it at most local drugstores.

Hope you feel better soon! :!:

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

Dovechild20

#4 Post by Dovechild20 »

Thanks you guys, hubby and I are going to grab your suggestions to try tonight!

*prays this works*

DireWire

#5 Post by DireWire »

Both will work, but there is a big difference.

Anbesol is a pain killer using Benzocaine. It will numb your nerves. The good news is that it works immediately. The bad news is it is not doing anything about the issue, so you'll keep applying the pain killer again and again.

Orajel (which also offers Benzocaine based treatments) has a product called Tooth Desensitizer. It is a treatment for tooth sensitivity caused by exposed dentin.

Tooth sensitivity occurs when the underlying layer of your teeth – the dentin – becomes exposed as a result of receding gum tissue (the protective blanket that covers the tooth roots). The roots, which are not covered by hard enamel, contain thousands of tiny tubules leading to the tooth's never center (the pulp). These dentinal tubules (or channels) allow the stimuli – for example, the hot, cold, or sweet food – to reach the nerve in your tooth, which results in the pain you feel.

The treatment is in blocking these tubules. A dentist typically uses a liquid fluoride for this (e.g. from Colgate). The Tooth Desensitizer does a similar thing, but I'm not sure whether it is actually blocking the tubules or rather applying a thin protective layer on the dentin.

Key question is whether your sensitivity is due to exposed dentin or due to sthg else, like an inflammation or cavity or whatever. That's where the dentist comes in.

Apart from putting up the right diagnosis, he will also be able to treat the issue and stop the pain. As a 3-in-1 solution that is my suggested option (if time and budget work for you).

Good luck

DW
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

Dovechild20

#6 Post by Dovechild20 »

Whoa, thanks for that! I did use the Orajel Desensitizer, but it didnt work because I was unable to apply it to my teeth next to the gums because of my brackets. Ambasol might work for the time being. I will be sure to make a dentist appointment as soon as my insurance kicks in after January 1, 2009 (i will be REALLY worried if my teeth are still sensitive by then because my debanding appointment will HURT like crazy!).

Thanks again!

DireWire wrote:Both will work, but there is a big difference.

Anbesol is a pain killer using Benzocaine. It will numb your nerves. The good news is that it works immediately. The bad news is it is not doing anything about the issue, so you'll keep applying the pain killer again and again.

Orajel (which also offers Benzocaine based treatments) has a product called Tooth Desensitizer. It is a treatment for tooth sensitivity caused by exposed dentin.

Tooth sensitivity occurs when the underlying layer of your teeth – the dentin – becomes exposed as a result of receding gum tissue (the protective blanket that covers the tooth roots). The roots, which are not covered by hard enamel, contain thousands of tiny tubules leading to the tooth's never center (the pulp). These dentinal tubules (or channels) allow the stimuli – for example, the hot, cold, or sweet food – to reach the nerve in your tooth, which results in the pain you feel.

The treatment is in blocking these tubules. A dentist typically uses a liquid fluoride for this (e.g. from Colgate). The Tooth Desensitizer does a similar thing, but I'm not sure whether it is actually blocking the tubules or rather applying a thin protective layer on the dentin.

Key question is whether your sensitivity is due to exposed dentin or due to sthg else, like an inflammation or cavity or whatever. That's where the dentist comes in.

Apart from putting up the right diagnosis, he will also be able to treat the issue and stop the pain. As a 3-in-1 solution that is my suggested option (if time and budget work for you).

Good luck

DW