Initial wire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roost22

Initial wire

#1 Post by roost22 »

I started out in a .016 nitinol wire. This seems kind of large. I am just wondering if this normal and what other people started out in.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

Megan11

#2 Post by Megan11 »

Same.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

braceface418

#3 Post by braceface418 »

I started on one size smaller, a .014 wire, but the first adjustment moved me to the same size as you. I suspect they only used the more flexible wire because mine had a whole lot of bends and angles in it when they put the first one on. Anything with less flex probably would have popped a bracket off or moved my teeth more quickly than they should be.

So I guess you could always take it as a sign that perhaps you'll be done a bit sooner than many other people here. :D

PuppySmiles

#4 Post by PuppySmiles »

Say, I know that ArchWired peeps are generally more informed than the average orthodontic patient, but what gives?
Did you guys just ask the ortho, "Hey! EXACTLY what kind of wire will we be starting with?"
Or was that information they gave you without being asked?

CactusZAF

#5 Post by CactusZAF »

I'm not sure what size I started with on the upper arch ( that was way back in September 2007), but I know my lowers have a .012 because at my last adjustment my Ortho told the tech to leave it in until my next adjustment as the teeth have not yet moved enough for the next size wire ( real bummed about that), so I'll have had a .012 for just over four months by my next appointment (seems like a really long time in such a small wire).

roost22

#6 Post by roost22 »

I asked puppy, and not only that but when the girl took it out of the package Ipicked up the empty package to look at it and it was a heat activated so Iasked about that too. I guess I'm just being nosey.
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image

Maverick

#7 Post by Maverick »

I started on 16 NiTi top and bottom. It depends on how level and how close to proper arch form you're when you start. More severe cases need to start with a lighter wire.

PuppySmiles

#8 Post by PuppySmiles »

Absolutely! Interested is awesome.
(Or, if you've seen that movie with Jason Biggs and Mena Suvari, you know that "Interested is InterestING!")
I think it's really cool to know the specifics. After all, this is stuff we're wearing in our mouths!

Megan11

#9 Post by Megan11 »

I started out with a .016 Niti round wire, than moved to a .016 x 25 ( I don't know if that is how you write it out, they just say a 16-25 wire) rectangular wire and then today at my adjustment they moved me back to a 0.14 round wireeeeeee, bummer, I want to be moving forward not backwards!

At least they moved my bottoms up to a 18-25 ... :?

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal