Rubber bands - how long have people had to wear them?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travelbug

Rubber bands - how long have people had to wear them?

#1 Post by travelbug »

My ortho told me that I will need to start wearing rubber bands soon. For those of you that have/had them, over how long of a period did you have to wear them? (E.g. A month? Two months? Longer?)

Flaka

#2 Post by Flaka »

It depends what needs to be acomplished. I have been wearing mine since day 1 (crossbite elastics), so about 9 months now and as far as I am concerned, I will be on them pretty much the whole time of my treatment which is 24-30 months.

MC Squared

#3 Post by MC Squared »

I am 31 months into a 24-30 month sentence and I have been wearing elastics for the last 14 months or so. Right now I am in Class 2 elastics (I think that referes to the configuration, rather than the size of the rubber bands?) I had a deep bite and crowding issues on my lower arch-no extractions. Anyway, I have had a few weeks where I only wore them at night, and other times (like now) that I am in them 24/7 except to eat, brush and floss. The first few days for me are the worst, as far as pain goes, but after that--they are not bad. In fact, sometimes it feels strange to not have them in.

Here's hoping I won't have much longer in them!!!

MC Squared

#4 Post by MC Squared »

I am 31 months into a 24-30 month sentence and I have been wearing elastics for the last 14 months or so. Right now I am in Class 2 elastics (I think that referes to the configuration, rather than the size of the rubber bands?) I had a deep bite and crowding issues on my lower arch-no extractions. Anyway, I have had a few weeks where I only wore them at night, and other times (like now) that I am in them 24/7 except to eat, brush and floss. The first few days for me are the worst, as far as pain goes, but after that--they are not bad. In fact, sometimes it feels strange to not have them in.

Here's hoping I won't have much longer in them!!!

overseasmel

#5 Post by overseasmel »

I think it's been 9 months or so? I've had to wear most configurations 24/7. I'm finally down to four elastics and overnight only. Sux in the beginning but they do work, so I'd try your best to stick to whatever your ortho requests.

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

I got my top braces in may 07 then in july got my bottoms and I started with rubberbands (in many different configurations for months) up until about 3 months ago. So I probably spent 15 months or so wearing them. Sometimes 24/7 other times just at night. Depending on what it was they wanted corrected (which mostly was a crossbite and then to close my bite). Rubberbands were annoying at first but you get used to them just like everything else.

Monday I get to find out when these suckers come off!! woohoo

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

purpleteeth

#7 Post by purpleteeth »

I have had them on my entire treatment so far - which has been a little over 13months. I have had 5 different strengths and probably at least that many different arrangements to put them in.

alex

#8 Post by alex »

I've been wearing mine for 7 months. I've had two different sizes of rubberbands with three different configurations during that time.