Severe Pain!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SwsMiss

Severe Pain!

#1 Post by SwsMiss »

I'm going on day 3 and STILL in severe pain (I feel like someone has pulled out ALL of my bottom teeth). I feel like I'm going to snap! I've taken MUCH more than the rec. dose of IB, Tylenol, Advil, Apirin etc...nothing is touching this. I've had braces before (on the top) and do not remember anything even half as excruciating!

My treatment is nothing too tricky (bringing a tooth forward and sliding it into place) but I feel like I've had a sledgehammer to the face.

Someone give me some advice quick! :shock:

Koalagirl

#2 Post by Koalagirl »

Hi,

I don't have a lot of advice for you per se, but I did want to give you encouragement. I too went through a full month of excrutiating pain--the first week or two being the worst. I actually wanted to be debraced after the first few days of what seemed like agony! I don't know if you drink at all, but I personally found that having a little bit of wine after a long day was helpful. I'm not encouraging you to drink, but I'm just sharing what "took the edge off" for me! I too was on Tylenol/ Advil (whatever it was!) for weeks. I feel for you, but do know that it should get better.

On a funnier note: I had to laugh the other day when I went for my second adjustment (I've been braced for 3 months) as I asked the ortho why he used a different archwire on me than the one he used for my 12 year old nephew who just got braced about a month ago. He told me that he "knew I couldn't handle the pain" (which I expressed to him that I was afraid of from before he started!), so he actually used the softest, most pliable wire there was at the very beginning. Only after 3 months did he even change the archwire to a "regular" stronger gauge wire! I had to laugh because I think I would've been an even bigger mess with the heavier gauge wire from the start! I can't imagine how much pain I would have been in. At any rate, I do assure you that it will get better though. Like one of the other people suggest, maybe the ortho could go "less aggressive" with you? I don't know how much it will help (like in my case where I was still in a lot of pain with the least aggressive archwire), but it might give you *some* relief, perhaps? Maybe you could talk to your ortho? Your problem sounds like my crossbite that is being fixed. Hang in there and best of luck! Just know that many of us can relate and we feel for you!

Megan11

#3 Post by Megan11 »

Meryaten wrote:I definitely agree that chewing does help. What you could do too is to pop a wet wash cloth in the freezer then gently chew on it after it's grown cold (or you could buy a chillable baby teething ring, but that seems a bit of an overkill.
Doesn't cold things mess up the memory of your archwire when they are directly applied to it? I feel like I have heard that somwhere...and that's why you're also not suppose to chew ice...?? Could you clarify that for me please Meryaten!

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

switchblades

#4 Post by switchblades »

I've been in a lot of pain for the past wek since I got my bottom ones on too, and the top ones hurt more this time than the first time around. I think my ortho is using heavier gauge wire this time around, though the one on the bottom is the lightest they have to start.
Megan11 wrote:Doesn't cold things mess up the memory of your archwire when they are directly applied to it? I feel like I have heard that somwhere...and that's why you're also not suppose to chew ice...?? Could you clarify that for me please Meryaten!
I don't know about the cold affecting the wires, because then you couldn't eat ice cream or smoothies and such, which is what my ortho told me to eat to keep the pain down a bit.

I know one of the reasons not to chew ice is because it's hard and can physically damage the wires and brackets or knock off a bracket. Same for hard candies and such.

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

ah that makes sense, braces sure are complicated ha.

Damon 3's
First 6 Clear/Metal

amoroso

#6 Post by amoroso »

Tough it out. I know it painful... you have to adjust to the pain tolerance. It will take time. Give it a month and you will be used to it. A year in with braces now and I do not feel any pain when I go for adjustments. There are discomforts when eating after I a good tighten, but you will be used to it.

Joys of being braced! :lol:

SwsMiss

#7 Post by SwsMiss »

Well I took everyone's advice...I chewed on my fingers, pressed down on my teeth, sucked on ice (did NOT chew/bit it), drank hot chocolate, rinsed with salt water and took more than my fair share of pain reducing medication :D

I'm happy to say...I no longer have pain. My first adjustment is on the 29th... :shock:

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#8 Post by blindboarder2008 »

3 cheers to you feeling better! it only gets easier from here!!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

PuppySmiles

#9 Post by PuppySmiles »

SwsMiss wrote:I'm happy to say...I no longer have pain. My first adjustment is on the 29th... :shock:
I'm happy to hear that your pain has subsided! Phew!

It may give you comfort to know that some of us (me included) had no pain at our first adjustments. So just because it's a first adjustment doesn't mean there's a 100% chance it'll hurt.