How much to pay for 2nd opinion?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Flaka

How much to pay for 2nd opinion?

#1 Post by Flaka »

It seems like it is very expensive to get a second opinion while already in braces. I called a couple of places and it ranges from $150 to $280. That doesn't leave me with many options as I can't be spening about $200 for each ortho I go.
Does it sounds like a regular price?

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Call them back and find out what is included in that cost. They may be treating this as a "records" appointment, meaning they will take photos and x-rays. If that is the case, pay for them once, request a copy, and take the records to the other orthos. You can also request a copy of your medical file from your current ortho, but of course, your current ortho will then know that you are considering jumping ship.

Flaka

#3 Post by Flaka »

Most of them said that just to see me it probably won't cost me, but in order to give me a detailed opinion, they need to take pics, xrays etc or bring my own records and then she said: If you bring your own records it will cost you XXX (meaning more). I don't want to dropp over $100 everythime I want an opinion.

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#4 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flaka

#5 Post by Flaka »

I am not asking to be seen for a second opinion at not cost, neither would I expect it to. We all have to pay for services, I know that.

I just want to get an idea of how much other people here in AW who had gotten a second opinion had paid.

rolo

#6 Post by rolo »

Hi

In the UK, where we mostly have to pay for initial consultations, it was arround £80 for me in January. This included an X-ray, and overview of treatment, ie discussion re extractions, choice of appliance, idea of treatment time, discussion on how to deal with unerrupted canine, about half an hour in total including X-ray time, and a letter of my treatment plan to take with me to discuss with my dentist. There were cheaper consultations arround £60, some were a little less detailed. So your figure doesn't sounds to be roughly what I might expect. Do you know anyone who has been treated who could recommend a good ortho? I read your story and think you do need to get at least another consultation for your own sanity, even if they just confirm what your ortho is telling you and if they don't you need to know. Post and let us know how you get on

Grutty

#7 Post by Grutty »

Hi Flaka,

Could you do a free evaluation with a few orthos and then then just pick one for the expensive detailed evaluation? You might not even like some of these doctors once you meet them, so no sense in spending money on records if you have no intention of seeking treatment with them in the future.

good luck, keep us posted.

PuppySmiles

#8 Post by PuppySmiles »

Hmmm. That is a sticky wicket, indeed.
All four of my consultations were free, and two of those involved taking panoramic X-rays. Of course, I didn't have the braces on yet, so it was a different situation than yours.
Faced with the same predicament, I would probably go for whatever free consultation the other ortho's offered.
Wouldn't you think there's probably a lot the ortho could tell you, just by taking a gander in your mouth and listening to your story?

PuppySmiles

#9 Post by PuppySmiles »

CuriosityAndTheFeline wrote:In the area I live in, its common to pay nothing for a pre-braces consultation. However, that's not really the situation you're in right now.

Given that the percentage of 2nd opinion seekers that convert to patients is probably significantly lower than those seeking an initial consultation, any ortho has got to evaluate their cost/benefit ratio differently when it comes to 2nd opinions. You're not just asking them to tell you how they'd treat you - you're asking them to evaluate your records and your treatment plan to date; identify any deficiencies with your current treatment; and provide a treatment plan to address those deficiencies. That requires time and very specialized expertise - why shouldn't an ortho expect to be compensated for that?

I'm not surprised that everyone you're talking to charges for 2nd opinions. People who deliver professional services (whether they're doctors, accountants, orthos, application developers, etc.) have a right to make a living. Good luck.
Curiosity, I don't think Flaka is trying to scam anyone's time, or prevent orthodontists from making any money.

Consultations are typically free in my area too. And you're right, they represent a valuable chunk of time with an expert, a service which I think we all value highly. The most likely reason they're free? Because it's the best way to win the patient's patronage. And when you think about it, each patient represents $2500 to $6500 and sometimes much more; while taking up maybe thirty minutes of chair time in their office per month. Now, I don't know about yours, but my (wonderful) orthodontist has between 5 and 10 chairs full of patients, every hour of every day. She could very easily have hundreds of patients, while still doing fantastic job on all of their teeth.

Hundreds.

As much as I love my orthodontist, I don't doubt for a minute that she makes awesome bank.

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#10 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuppySmiles

#11 Post by PuppySmiles »

Oh, haha. Sorry, Curiosity. I may have taken that more seriously than it was meant. 8) I'm chill now, I promise.

Flaka

#12 Post by Flaka »

Thanks for the comments everybody!

PuppySmiles you made me laugh :)

I understand why we all get defensive here sometimes, it is hard to read the tone of voice that was put into words.

Curiosity, to be honest, I though you were actually telling me I should just sucks it up and pay whatever they were asking for. As you mentioned above, it depends on the area and actually, Scottsdale, AZ is a pretty expensive area where people tend to over-pay for services and I didn't want to be one of them because honestly, I can't afford dropping $150+ everytime I go to another orthodontist. BUT I will go to my dental cleaning next Monday and will ask my dentist for his opinion :)

I am sure you didn't mean to offend anyone. I understand we all come from different backgroungs, demographics, incomes, etc.

Now, lets all get along :)