Wisdom teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

roost22

Wisdom teeth

#1 Post by roost22 »

I had my lower wisdom teeth out today, the extractions were ok but the bleeding would not stop for over 5 hours (long day at os office). Anyway Iam scheduled to get lower braces on two days from now and i am starting to think this is too soon. Anybody else had this done this early and how did it go?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I had one out six months into treatment (the braces were already on). Mine was an easy extraction as the tooth had already erupted and was lying straight; the site bled for a couple of hours then stopped.

See how you feel tomorrow and take it from there.

PuppySmiles

#3 Post by PuppySmiles »

I had three wisdom's out recently, so I can feel your pain. Think the bleeding was the most upsetting part. Had to keep reminding myself, it's okay, it's okay, as long as it stops within 24 hours it's okay. . .

But thank goodness it's over and now they're healing!

My braces were already on before the extractions, so I can't advise as to getting them on just after. Perhaps you can call your ortho's office and ask if it will be difficult to work around tender extraction sites?

I did have an ortho adjustment a few days after the extractions, and what I did was make sure to tell the technician before she got her fingers in there, "I JUST HAD MY WISDOM TEETH REMOVED, and I'M STILL A LITTLE TENDER." Okay, I didn't actually shout it, but it WAS a warning. Technicians usually sit up and take notice when you use the phrase, "Just to warn you. . ." As a result, she was very gentle with me.

roost22

#4 Post by roost22 »

I can answer my own question now. It wasnt bad at all I only had brackets put on bottom but it was a breeze and I had a mold taken for invisaline on top. So I am in the club, I have some pictures if I can figure out how to post them.

PuppySmiles

#5 Post by PuppySmiles »

Welcome to the club!!!

PuppySmiles

#6 Post by PuppySmiles »

whoops, double-post.

Danielle

#7 Post by Danielle »

The bleeding and fear that it wouldn't stop was one of the worst (if not the worst) part of getting my wisdom teeth removed. I had braces while I had my wisdom teeth removed and before that I had pre-molars removed while braced on most teeth and then I had molar bands placed on seconds after I had extractions (right next to the extraction site). I was okay. Good luck.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

roost22

#8 Post by roost22 »

Thanks Puppy and Danielle I just got off working the night shift and the pressure and a LITTLE pain are starting to set in now. (time for a lorcet) thanks Bob
lower metal brackets 12/3/2008, upper red,white and blue system12/29/08 , tx 12-16 months Image